The Diet and Exercise Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Feb 4, 2018.

1. OB1

OB1 Active Member

I refer to carbohydrates like flour based stuff. of course carbs aren't eliminated its just where you get carbs from.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

so not potatoes then which are rammed with carbohydrate

3. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

Early humans ate a lot of carbohydrates, and depending on your deep-ancestral lineage, your early ancestors may have eaten a diet heavy in carbs. Plants, fruits and roots were much easier to get a hold of and eat than animals were.

4. OB1

OB1 Active Member

To be honest I revert back to my earlier post.

If it don't grow in t'earth or if it don't eat stuff grown in t'earth don't eat it!

5. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

Lately, I'm getting away from walking/jogging and into dancing instead. It's more fun imo and has the added bonus of maybe, eventually, actually, wanting to go out dancing too, which would be great.

I don't like gyms or lessons so just do it at home. Either an hour of dancing around to an hour worth of songs I pick out, or CDs of dance steps of various types (aerobic dance, belly dance, etc.) Or husband and I take turns leading with any sort of crazy move and the other one has to copy it. It gets hilarious. I also do hand weights.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Damn, that's catchy!

(Did you guys ever do the Health Hustle when you were in elementary school? I feel like this song would fit right in, although really the only song I can remember from the real Health Hustle is Bad Bad Leroy Brown)

7. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

In 2015 I started the journey of losing weight. Since then I've bounced between losing 40 lbs and 50 lbs because I've been hit-or-miss with my exercise and food routine. I'm finally getting back into the swing of things and will, hopefully, lost the final 20 to 23 lbs by the end of this year. I went vegetarian at the end of last year, but I don't deprive myself of foods. I just try to use moderation. It worked back when I lost the first 40 lbs and I'm betting it'll work now particularly since some of my meals are really a whole bunch of vegetables.

Edit: I also plan on doing more outdoor activity such as a tough mudder.

Further edit: I'm also female-bodied, but identify as neutral/masculine. One of the primary factors in my losing weight is to not be so squishy. I can't do anything about the natural hourglass figure (which would still be there even with top surgery), but I can at least avoid some of the thicker look (at least once I get to my goal weight). My binder of choice is from T-Kingdom because it's the only one I found that velcroes (no binders fit right if I have to pull them over my shoulders because my shoulders are too wide for that), doesn't cover my stomach, and actually flattens these DDs without turning them into a uniboob.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    CoyoteKing likes this.
  8. TheRealStegblob

I don't really listen to music with vocals in it when I use music for working out, it's normally just instrumental tracks, but one stupid 'guilty pleasure' thing I started working out to was a song from god damn Spongebob Squarepants.

I put it on once as kind of a joke and it ended up making, to my horrible surprise and confusion, an unironically good work out song. I don't know if it's the old school techno beat or what.

Another stupid song that makes an unironically good workout song is Live to Win, a cheesy Paul Stanley song that was featured in an episode of South Park.

jim onion likes this.
  9. TheRealStegblob

So if anyone here is considering a juice fast, I was reminded of the whole 'Mean Green' fast popularized by Joe Cross and his documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. The documentary is pretty good. People have given it slight criticism for being slightly an 'advertisement' for juicers (specifically Breville-brand juicers), but other than that it's not a very scrutinized film. It's worth a watch if you're interested in what dietary juice fasting actually is (as opposed to 'drinking fruit juices from the store' as someone in this thread had confused it with).

I did mean green juices for awhile but never actually fasted on them. My girlfriend and I just started juicing again, though, and I forgot how nice it is. For those concerned that juicing is 'too much sugar' or anything like that, you actually consume little sugar while doing juicing, as you juice primarily a shit load of vegetables and a little bit of fruit (the idea is that you're "eating" a very high volume of fruits and vegetables, but juicing it to make consuming it for single meals actually possible, you also remove a lot of the 'roughage' and only get the pure juice).

The only fall back on juicing, at least if you want to do a pure juice diet, is that it's actually a little expensive. You're eating shit ton of vegetables when you juice in order to consume a good amount of calories. Thankfully, you can also just juice for single meals. My girlfriend and I are replacing lunch with juice.

Consult your doctor and stuff before you try any actual fasting and blah blah blah, but it's very much worth looking into.

Carly Berg likes this.
  10. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Here's a current picture of me. Oh yeah, and my diet consists of wine.

Attached Files:

Carly Berg likes this.
  11. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

We lived through week one of a vegetable and fruit diet. I lost five pounds so far. Woot!

The strange thing is that we frequently don't really want more than one meal a day. I fix more anyway and kind of push it on both of us but I think it's weird that I would have to.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Grapes are a fruit :D

13. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm bored, I think I'm going to try an unhealthy crash diet.

14. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I've been eating nothing but left over turkey sandwiches for the past three days, does that count?

Iain Aschendale and Carly Berg like this.
  15. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

Watched an amazing documentary last night, and I don't say that lightly. It's called Forks Over Knives, about plant-based vs. animal products in the diet. I highly recommend it. Very interesting. (It's on Netflix, about 1 1/2 hours long).

16. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

They always say "don't eat meat," as if some of us haven't tried that and almost withered away into nothing.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  17. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Once saw a documentary from Doctor Michael Mosely called 'Eat, Fast, and Live Longer'. He started the 5:2 diet. It was interesting and thought provoking.

Carly Berg likes this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, not really into that whole "live longer" thing. "Don't wheeze going up the stairs" is more my thing.

TheScorpion likes this.
  19. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

I want to see if we can get off cholesterol meds or if anything else wonderful happens. The hardest habit of mine to give up would be caffeine. Next is wine, then animal products. Right now the only one I get is caffeine. I could be happier but it’s bearable.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  20. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    So yesterday (day 2) was also the last day one of our favorite Chinese restaurants was going to be open. Didn't exactly stick to plan, but I tried to be relatively good. Explained to Mrs. A that it was a low-carb (low, not zero) diet, so I was going to forgo the rice. She said she understood. Suggested noodles.

Long stare.

CoyoteKing likes this.
  21. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

I really don't have a problem with these vegan dinners as long as they seem like a whole meal. For example, half a squash or zucchini made into noodle-sized strips or eggplant disks, covered with a mixture of vegetables, beans and herbs. When I feel deprived is when it seems like my plate is full of side dishes and the entrée is missing.

22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Sometimes I think my wife would be more happy if I gained weight. She's still convinced I got into shape to find a younger woman. Because, you know, that would totally be something I would do.

ETA: and by that I mean I'm the last guy who would ever be unfaithful.

23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, I get that sometimes with my interest in clothes and style. "Who are you trying to look good for?!?!"

Truth be told though, when we met, I was a cargo-pants and t-shirt wearing wreck off work time, so I have changed some.

24. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

My husband seems thrilled whenever I update my look, exercise and diet, etc.

Does that mean he is hoping to unload me? :oops:

25. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

I had to give up caffeine a few years ago, it was playing merry weather with my stomach. I ended up drinking water, and now I only drink water full stop. Nothing else but water.
    Well, occasionally a little ginger beer and maybe some juice.

Carly Berg likes this.