1. 160thSOAR

160thSOAR Member

The Military Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 160thSOAR, Feb 4, 2012.

Talk about anything and everything concerning the military here. Vehicles, weapons, battles - whatever. And if you've served in the Armed Forces previously, I'd be happy to hear about it.

This thread is not about America's current foreign policy though. Please leave political opinions at the door.

I guess I'll start this off by asking for opinions on the F-35 project. Personally, I'd prefer more F-22's and fewer F-35's, and I'm afraid that the project might get cancelled because of all the problems it's having. Considering so many of these stem from the F-35B STOVL variant, I B would honestly prefer if the F-35B was cancelled/moved into a different project, because it has greatly slowed the introduction of the F-35A (land-based variant) and F-35C (carrier-based variant).

2. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

A lot of my friends are going into either the Royal Navy or the Royal Marines. It seems that Britain's 'recruitment crisis' is temporary. One thing I have noticed, though, the RAF has a ridiculously high entry requirements for pilots: you pretty much have to be a perfect specimen of humanity to even be considered. Is it the same in the US?

3. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

It’s the same story. It’s also interesting because the US Navy had more planes and piolets then the US Air Force.

4. 160thSOAR

160thSOAR Member

I believe the Army prefers Navy air support to that of the Air Force. I think I read a quote somewhere that said as much, but I can't seem to find it. Most people who enter the Air Force Academy don't actually end up flying anything - I think the number of pilots is somewhere around 10-20% of Air Force personnel.

Not sure about USAF requirements though. I know that Air Force PJ's (I think they're called pararescuemen now) are viewed as a rung below some of the other special forces services and are seen as a quick way into special forces.

5. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Are u a military veteran? It's nice to see one around here :)

6. 160thSOAR

160thSOAR Member

No, I'm not. If I had been in the military, it would definitely be illegal, because I'm only 15. I can shoot a pistol though, something I'm quite proud of. I'm thinking about getting a gun if I can scrounge up the money and my parents agree to it. If I do, it would probably be a Glock 17, Glock 26, or Glock 21. See a pattern? Yes, I do like Glocks.

Other than that, I just read stuff about military technology.

7. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

Anyone can shoot a pistol with training. If you’re looking for something a little different in (mm look at a Caracal or a M&P. The M&P has established for itself a good position in the market, and the Caracal looks like it could be a good buy and the people I have heard from like them ( they are relatively new to US markets). I personally use a Ruger Lc9 but my use is a little different.

8. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Shooting a pistol is the easiest thing in the world to do chap, aim down the sights and practice a little and you've got a good shot within a week or two.

No point in getting a gun really at your age, not in my opinion. Not unless you think you'll have a real use for it. If you're interested in shooting guns, go for airsoft days out, modified guns to shoot pellets/rubber bullets etc.

You can shoot people and get away with it, plus, a distinct lack of dead people makes the whole thing alot less testing on the ol' conscience.

9. 160thSOAR

160thSOAR Member

I'm not saying shooting is extremely difficult, I'm just glad I can do it. You never know when it might come in useful.

I hardly want to get a gun to take potshots out the window at passing dogs and cars. But you never know when it could come in useful. Once, a drug dealer hid out in a creek behind my house. The police were searching for him with a helicopter, and when they finally found him, they came in packing body armor and assault rifles. That's what made me want to learn to shoot in the first place.

I've shot Airsoft guns before, owned one a few years ago, but I find target shooting at the range with a real gun much more satisfying.

10. Alex W

Alex W New Member

If you're wanting a gun to go target shooting then just use one at the gun range once in a while and fire a few clips into targets.

A gun only comes in useful if you are in a genuinely life threatening situation, otherwise there's no use to one. Not for a fifteen year old not in military training anyway.

They're cool things I suppose, but there's no legitimate use to one rather than shooting things. And unless you're fancying a murder spree anytime soon, you'll only be shooting paper enemies, and they don't dodge all that well :p FPS Russia makes alot of vids about guns on YouTube but I don wonder what's the use to his collection rather than just target shooting and then using them to make money on YT.

11. 160thSOAR

160thSOAR Member

I understand that a gun is a weapon and not to be handled carelessly. Guns are dangerous, but the person behind the gun is a lot more dangerous. Still, guns are useful for self-defense if the worst does happen. Policemen with M-16's in my backyard really made me think that something terrible really could happen, even if I did nothing to bring it about.

Of course, if we get a gun, it won't be my decision to buy it, but I am the only person in my family who can shoot a pistol, so if something did happen, I would be the person shooting it. My mom can shoot rifles, which I should learn how to do at some point. And we would lock any gun we bought in a gun safe if we did get one.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please limit the discussion to the military topic. That does NOT include civilian gun use or misuse.

13. 160thSOAR

160thSOAR Member

I guess I'll get back on track to the original question then.

The F-35 has a few advantages over the F-22. It's cheaper, better suited to "swing" missions (missions in which it could carry out ground-attack or air-to-air), and can carry a larger variety of weapons. The F-35 also carries the GAU-12 Equalizer 25mm cannon, a larger caliber weapon than the 20mm M61 Vulcan of the F-22. However, it only has 180 rounds, while the F-22 has 480. The F-35 has a somewhat larger unrefueled combat radius than the F-22.

Its disadvantages include:
    - One engine. What happens if that engine fails? According to Lockheed, "It won't."
    - The F-22 can carry twice as many air-to air weapons: 2 AIM-9M Sidewinders and 6 AIM-120's for the Raptor versus 4 AIM-120's for the Lightning II
    - The F-35 cannot supercruise.
    - The F-22 tactically employs at twice the altitude and 50% greater airspeed than the F-35, with twice the turning speed
    - F-22 features vectored thrust, giving it twice the maneuverability of the F-35

Finally, the kicker:
    If the F-35 program is accelerated to replace the F-15C (which needs it), the F-35 will cost more per unit than the F-22.

Wow. After doing some basic research, I really think the F-22 is the better buy.

14. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

I'm writing military fiction! I love the military! I've never served in the Armed Forces, but I hope to one day! But I am writing about it! Is it alright with Cog and 160thSOAR if I post questions about weapon systems usage, tactics, a kind of "what would happen?", "How would you do this?" type of thing...?

I enjoy reading about the military too and always keep up-to-date with the latest stuff that's happening in theatres of war, more specifically with regard to the British Armed Forces, being British myself. I have a fascination for weapon systems too! Mostly small arms, but also MANPADS, AA technology, helicopters, that kind of thing. I also have an interest in military-oriented discussions... the use of torture by ISAF Forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, extraordinary rendition, so-called American 'killteams'

Look forward to some interesting discussions!

15. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Which would you guys rather be:

A) Fighter Pilot

B) Tank Commander

C) Submarine Captain

D) Special Forces (Navy Seals, etc.)

Even though I have no plans whatsoever in joining the military, sometimes I fantasize about being each one of these. It seems like it would be cool to try out the lifestyle of one of those guys for a little while. Rocking it out on the batlefield or engaging in high-speed aerial combat seems like it would be a serious adrenaline trip. Of course, when it comes to reality I wouldn't really want to be in any of those situations for real, but imagining going on different military missions and combat scenarios is pretty fun.

My personal pick goes to Tank Commander. I think that would be challenging. Like a cat-and-mouse game. High strategy, tough environment. You need to be quick and you need to be tough. Tank combat is cool.

16. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

i like small arms, martial arts, and PT so i guess special forces.

17. muscle979

muscle979 Member

That is a lot easier than becoming any of those other things. I'm not taking anything away from tankers, just saying. All you really have to be to be in charge of a tank is a junior officer assigned to an armored unit. It doesn't require the type of training needed to pilot jets or be in SF. The senior officer on a Sub is going to be a higher ranking officer with a lot of experience. It would take some time and rank to be the commanding officer of a submarine. You could be in command of your own tank very soon after getting a commission. I've been in an Abrams and a Bradley [not quite a tank but close] in the past and they are definitely cool to ride around in. The problem of course is if they are somehow disabled you are a sitting duck. If I would have stayed in the Army longer I would have tried out for Special Forces probably. They get some of the best training the military has to offer.

18. CH878

CH878 Active Member

If I had to be in the armed forces, then it'd be special forces for certain. They have the best training and the way the British Special Forces is laid out is much better than any other area of the military. They also get better wages and have a permanent base in Hereford rather than moving round the country.

19. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

I know you do not intend it to be disrespectful, but I don't think you should use a screen name representing yourself as a Nightstalker if you're not green.

And you're avatar is a Cobra, not a helo in the 160th inventory.

The F-22 is a pig and waste of taxpayer money that although has more capabilities on paper than a run of the mill F-18. The F-22 fleet has been down more than it has been in combat. Doesn't do much.

The F-35 may never drop a bomb in anger at this point, I think its a trillion dollar program that literally can't get off the ground and is only in existence because of politics and the amazing defense industry jobs and votes.

Imagine the capabilities of these aircraft if they were designed unmanned. No egress, no on board displays, no ecs system, not limited by the human body in terms of G capability. The fact is our "next generation" of aircraft is going to be obsolete before they ever drop a bomb in anger.

Yes I know the F-22 has been graced with a few bombing runs in OEF to justify its existence. Todays warbirds need to be able to go anytime, anywhere, and the F-22 and the JSF can't!

20. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

I think what was missed here is that a program was introduced to beef up armaments for wars or "acts of aggression" that were not introduced to the public. It seems unneeded because they don't tell you why it probably will be needed. No one likes wars and it seems it takes time for some to convince you we need to fight one...for justifiable reasons.

I was in the Navy for a while. Army and Marines prefer Navy and it is the most supplied of all the forces because it is highly mobile and can be deployed the swiftest and with the most flexibility in most places around the world. Marines and Navy cross paths at so many points, as many people as not tend to consider them one whole unit. Would you rather have a cop patrolling near your home respond to a crisis or someone still on base in his chair a hundred miles away?

In response to Snooping, Special Forces. I always like making a personal impact.