Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

The Video of Tom Cruise On Scientology. (The Secrets)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Jan 16, 2008.

Tom Cruise's impassioned views about Scientology and his mission to convert the masses have been revealed in a nine minute video leaked on the internet

To the soundtrack of Mission Impossible, the Hollywood star makes a string of bold assertions about the power of Scientology to right the wrongs of the world.

He claims the group is "the authority on the mind", and can get people off drugs, rehabilitate criminals and "will bring peace and unite cultures."

He declared: "Now is the time. Being a Scientologist people are tuning to you - so you better know it and if you don't go and learn it . But don't pretend."

"If you are a scientologist, you see things the way they are in all glory and all complexity," he added.

The video's release comes as Andrew Morton published a book about Cruise alleging that the 45-year-old actor ranks second in command in the Church of Scientology.

Morton, who shot to fame with the publication of Diana: Her True Story, asserts that it is a "fair, even-handed treatment of the actor's life.

But the church responded with a 15-page statement, calling Morton's book Tom Cruise: An Unauthorised Biography "a bigoted, defamatory assault replete with lies" and saying Cruise "is a Scientology parishioner and holds no official or unofficial position in the Church hierarchy."

In describing his faith, Cruise said: "It's rough and tumble, and it's wild and woolly and it's a blast.

And he concludes: "I do it the way I do everything. There is nothing part of the way for me."

One
    Two
    Three

2. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

An interesting leak. I shall watch these now.

3. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Oh my goodness that Letterman voice-dub interview was so funny!

I'm only just recovering. :p

4. Raven

Raven Banned

Lmao..

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Church of Scientology is a scary, powerful organization that I have had an encounter with in the past. Their "science of the mind" is a load of techno-psychobabble with no basis in solid research to back it up. Their recruitment techniques are a combination of high pressure sales techniques and cultish isolation of the target from dissenting influences.

6. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Didn't it all spawn from a book of L.Ron Hubbard (whatever his name is)?? It's amazing the power of words. Gawd. I personally not into it, it seems scary. I'm gona have a look at the links.... Still scary. I watched that report from teh BBC or something and this guy was basically stalked by the scientologists. Now, I respect others choice and beliefs but geez- actually following and stalking people and scare mongering? I'm just not into that.

7. Cogito

Yes. L. Ron Hubbard was a struggling science fiction writer who wrote a "nonfiction" book, Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health in 1950. This book is the basis of the Church of Scientology. Declaring it to be a church qualified it as a non-profit organization.

I know firsthand about their stalking. They are quite literally trained not to take "No" for an answer.

8. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

First video was funny- I had a giggle- the second was pointless to teh point of being funny and the third was more serious and thhought provoking. I personally think that if Tom Cruise wants to be in this religeon, fine- go for it, I'll cheer him on... but when he starts pushing people into it is when it gets shifty. My view on Scientology is that once you get in- you can never get out.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Scientology scares the crap out of me, and now seems to go hand in hand with my dislike of Tom Cruise. That guy is a fruitloop.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Now that is terrifying.

11. Banzai

Exactly; it's a cult.

12. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I only thought Scientology was in America, but I was walking down quite a busy street in Edinburgh and saw a sign on one of the buildings for the British or Scottish scientology society/church, quite freaky. I also saw in the centre of town lots of tables with the sign, 'stress tests' or something like that - and later found out that it was a scientology thing to try and get people in I guess. Quite weird, especially worrying as i believe they pick on the vulnerable groups. I know an advert was banned in the UK which applied to drug addicts to take up scientology or to go to some programme to get off addiction.

I don't think it will take on much momentum over here, still it's unpleasant.

13. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

This is a new thing for me. But it's pretty creepy from what I can read.

14. Raven

Raven Banned

I'm not keen on it either but sadly Some of cruises films have been very good and its scary to know an actor of his status is brain washed by this and beginging to brain wash others not thats just damned wrong.

15. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I think I liked him in the last Samurai. I think it was because of his longer hair- I have a weakness for longer hair! He's ok.. I guess, but not really my type.

and there is a scientology building in Perth, western Australia, I saw it up there when I went for a visit.

16. Banzai

Did no one else have a problem with the last samurai being American?

17. Raven

Raven Banned

Nope gotta say i too enjoyed the film. And the movie kind of potrayed cruise as earning the samurai's respect then becoming one. Thus making him the last samurai.

18. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

In an interview Cruise stated the title refered not to his character but to Katsumoto. The movie is based on a historical event where the leader of a samurai rebellion was actually considered The Last True Samurai. Of course Hollywood addded the American character who's closest historical link is to a Frenchmen in the Bonshin War that took polace a few decades prior to the last major Samurai rebellion that the movie was derived from.

Back on topic, Scientology gets alot more interesting. L Ron had intented Dianetics and after he recieved no support from the Medical of Scientific communities he opened his own clinics for the practice of Dianetics. A few years alter he got sued into bankrupcy because the practitioners at his clinic had no medical licenses. The solution? A new book Scientology as a Religion that indeed meant he no longer needed a midical license.

Its not a cult its not even a religion. Its a money maker scheme (Of course, one could say very religion is a money maker scheme). In most religions the "secret knowledge" is achieved through study, prayer, meditation, whatever. In Scientology you have to buy it. Once you buy it you can't share it with anyone who isn't in the "church."

19. Cogito

I would dispute the point that it is not a cult. Whether or not it is an invented religion, it's belief system is structured like a religion. And they do indeed strive to isolate their members from outside influence. One of the first things a new member is taught is how to keep pressing a point of view without being "distracted" by the other person's opinions. - except, of course, if they are listening to a member who is "clear", which is to say a more advanced member.

Even if it's more about profits than prophets, it is a cult.

20. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Hehe, they had bits of the viedo on the news tonight. Seriously though, who cares what he thinks about scientology?

21. Cogito

I don't care in the least what he thinks. However, when he flaps his yap about it and tries to steer people away from legitimate mental health professionals, he is doing real harm.

I have no respect for him. I also boycott any film he is in. If people walk away from his films, the studios will get the message. Some small glimmer of that message will bounce off his ego with a barely audible "ping".

22. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I don't really care enough to be honest. I aint listened much to the videos, only what was showed on the news as as far as I'm concerned, he's just some random guy rambling on about random things. He has however, got every right to share his opinion too.

23. Raven

Raven Banned

I have found the video of tom cruise talking about Scientology.

The Video

Thoughts.

24. Neidermeyer

Neidermeyer Active Member

Wow. That's all I have to say. Wow

25. Raven

Raven Banned

Well he certainly has his opinion.