Tags:
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

"Potato Chip" Stories

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by J.T. Woody, Jan 30, 2020.

I'm pretty sure I used this term on here before, but "Potato Chip" stories are fluffy, silly/fun stories, quick, feel-good reads. I call them "PotatoChips" because they don't really have any nutritional/intellectual value like literary fiction hard genre fiction (ex: science fiction, historical fiction) that need extensive research to write, but they are fun to just read/write in moderation. Personally, I think the very formulaic, predictable, Halmark-esque stories are "Potato Chips." They are terrible, but you can never watch/read just one!

My WIP has gotten pretty heavy in terms of emotion, and frustrating because I cant get a few things quite to my liking. I'm really contemplating just taking a break from that to write something more fluffy lol.

Do any of you sometimes take breaks from your long WIPs to just write quick fluffy "Potato Chip" stories?
    What would be considered "Potato Chip" pieces to you?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Personally I'll usually switch to a whole different pursuit. I also draw and paint, so I hopscotch between that and writing as the mood strikes me, especially if I'm getting bogged down on something. In painting when you hit that point they say it's time to "turn it toward the wall", so you can't even see it anymore and do something completely different for a while. Often when you come back your subconscious has churned on the problems and maybe come up with something or at least suggests a different approach.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

My biggest fear is writing fluff. And I think I do it all the time. Still, biggest fear. That and spiders.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Yes. I've put my long projects on hold to write simpler stories and I'm finding it really fun and also helpful for my writing. Potato chip story for me personally would be single minded romance plots. No real secondary plots or themes. Just start the story (pants it) with a single idea and follow the romance plot points until the conclusion. Also, erotica. Now that's even easier. It's just bodies coming together.

Malisky, J.T. Woody and Cave Troll like this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That is a very 'paint by numbers' approach to it.
    Then again I have read some that are mere tracings
    of the pages they like the best, giving the illusion that
    they can actually draw. :p

OT: Yes, short snippets that just kinda clean out the
    extra nonsense going through my mind. Think of it
    like doodling between actually making a reasonable
    sketch of something approaching decent enough to
    share sincerely, and not just for the LOLZ. :p

J.T. Woody likes this.
  6. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Haha. Well, I meant the goal is bodies coming together. You are flirting with the reader and then the big bang is a lot of big bangs. It's easier than convincing people of love. Romance is all about that character growth. Overcoming their issues/fears, becoming a better person, and letting that person in that they couldn't initially. You don't have to convince a reader of much in erotica, whereas that's all you're doing in romance.

Lifeline, Xoic and Cave Troll like this.
  7. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

Constantly.

Last year, and now this year, I have a commitment to 1 short story per month, and 1 fun piece per week, in addition to any other project.

For me, fun pieces are usually either humour in the vein of Spy Magazine / Onion, or about neighbourhood cats, that sort of thing.

ETA:
    I also do amateur stage improv, which is rapid-fire storytelling, usually with the intent to be funny.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Not stories, but poetry of the Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein school.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/hither-thither-yon-a-funny-poem.62406/

J.T. Woody and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I've been tempted multiple times, especially after watching a long cheezy drama with my finger constantly pressing on the fast forward button, thinking "Jesus! This could have been so much better. Why did they kill it? WHY?" I think that this is my number one trigger for thinking about creating a potato story. The delusion that I could have made it so much better. I just hate it when there are some elements that are superb in a story, which could lead to an extraordinary climax and they are left... idk... undone. Unexplored. Unrealistic to a fault. Or they are so slowly explored that after episode 100 the flame has already vanished under a pile of comedic reliefs and other dragging elements that are completely unnecessary. God, I hate fillers! I've come to realise that this might have to do mostly upon the series rating. They tease your mind upon interesting subjects and then they shut down because they don't want to fall short on ratings. Since they can't keep everybody happy, they choose to keep them mildly "okay", which is such a pity. Dear producers, destiny favours the bold. Sometimes I feel like Palpatine while watching these dramas. "Come to the dark side. Use the Force... I said use it damn it!" The thing is I'm not sure if it'd be categorised as fluff anymore if I picked it up, but it'd be inspired by fluff. Idk. I guess I'm gonna have to try to write something down first to see where it would lead me.

J.T. Woody likes this.