1. disasterspark

disasterspark Active Member

Is this how blood drives work?

Discussion in 'Research' started by disasterspark, Mar 30, 2019.

- Scene starts with a Creep Guy and Girl.
    - Creep Guy does creep things to Girl because he has a crush on her.
    - Creep gets caught and then leaves, never seen again for a whole year.

- A year later, Creep Guy gets therapy, and moves somewhere else, now he's no longer a creep. He's just Guy now.
    - But at the same time, Girl gets a horrible disease that's slowly killing her, she has less than a year to live, but she can be cured through a blood transfusion.
    - The only guy who has the right blood in the immediate area is Guy.
    - She asks, and Guy says no. No as in "I don't care anymore. I know I could save you, but I am willingly choosing to let you die."
    - Girl ends up dying.

Would the guy have to give consent in order to give his blood to her? Or is it done automatically? Could he get arrested if he says no and the girl ends up dying?

2. Fallow

Fallow Banned

The government can't force you to give blood. Once given you have no say in who gets it.

There is no blood type so rare that only two people have it - especially two unrelated people.

The Guy sounds like he went from Creepy to absolutely Foul and pretty much a murderer.

3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

That a pretty wild mental change in one year, as @Fallow mentioned. Seems pretty unrealistic.

The rarest blood type is O- and only about 3% of the population have it. Universal donor, but only can receive O-. I have this unfortunately for me, but at least I can always help my family.

And no you cant force someone to give blood or body parts legally, in America.

4. Fallow

Fallow Banned

5. disasterspark

disasterspark Active Member

A lot can happen in a year, I'm living proof.

Shenanigator likes this.
  6. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Oh you're right, dont know where I got that statistic stuck in my head.

7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    In Robert Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil, the MC has AB negative blood, which this random google result says is the least common type. The book (no idea how accurate it is) has the MC belonging to a sort of club of people with that blood type who keep themselves "on-call" in case one of them has the sudden need for a transfusion. However, there's nothing in the club that makes it compulsory, and as stated above, I don't think any first-world countries have laws that can compel medical donations of any type.

However, keeping in mind that club idea, a member might be shunned if he refused to donate to save someone with the same rare type.

8. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

But... someone with AB- blood would have no trouble getting transfusions from people... They could take blood from O-, A-, B-, or AB-. AB- is only one step away from being the universal recipient (someone with AB+ blood can take blood from anyone).

If the group were O- people, then they could only take blood from other people in their group... but there'd be quite a few of them...

Anyway, back to the OP - could you look at some other sort of medical donation? Bone marrow or something? That can be a lot harder to match.

marshipan likes this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Huh, you're right. Either I remembered Heinlein wrong, or he got something wrong. Thanks for the correction.

BayView likes this.