1. The Eternal Learner

The Eternal Learner New Member

The eternal 'secret writer'...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Eternal Learner, Jun 23, 2012.

Hey out there,

I'm brand new today! I love writing, and I always have - I've been writing stories and screenplays since I was in high school. I never share my work, in fact nobody I know even realises that I write (!) I guess it's my guilty pleasure, but in the back of my mind it's always something that I've wanted to explore beyond my own personal enjoyment of it. When I'm not writing, I'm up to my elbows in money (not mine unfortunately!) and purchase requests - I work in finance which is about the least creative job you can have, but I love it. I'm married, I have two dogs, I love cooking... I write about creative and passionate people, love, friendship, family... lots of feel-good stuff ;) I'm joining these forums to really open myself up to the next stage, of actually finishing a project, finding people who are as passionate as I am, and maybe even eventually having the courage to post some work for critique. I really look forward to being a part of the forum here :)

2. thetyper

thetyper New Member

Hi Eternal

I'm new too, so pleased to meet you. What sort of stuff do you write? I have written fiction for pleasure for 30 years, but I have no real desire to publish. I have rough plans to do an ebook or two, but no hurry.:)

3. The Eternal Learner

I hate the term, but I guess what I write would be classed as "chick lit" - stories about people and their relationships, their lives, that kind of thing. I like to create really rich, multi-faceted main characters, with quirks and passions and stuff, because they're the kinds of characters that I love to read about myself :) having said that, I'm also starting to explore some ideas within the 'kids horror' genre of all things! What do you write about?

4. thetyper

thetyper New Member

I have an academic background and write about political history a lot, or used to anyway. I am currently writing a formulaic straight-forward action adventure with a view to turning it into an ebook, and more seriously I am writing novel about a woman with memory problems trying to solve a crime that she thinks might have occurred. The work is really about the nature of greed and the impact that a simple coincidence can have on our lives.

What I love about so-called chick-lit is the space the genre allows for characterization. One novel I like is lad-lit, if you like, Hi-Fidelity by Nick Hornby. I really enjoy novels like this that are all about character and human interaction. They are also great vehicles for social commentary, allowing some really fine points to be made between the lines. Where are you in your book? I am about 20,000 words into my action novel and 53,000 words into my "memory" novel. Both were started in February.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Welcome, Eternal! Personally, I'm really happy to see a few others who write stuff closer to what I write. Glad you're coming out of the writing closet. I look forward to reading your stuff once you're ready to post. In the meantime, this is a great place to look around, chat and read.

Liz

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, The Eternal Learner!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

7. The Eternal Learner

thetyper, I was just shy of 15,000 words into my first draft of this story before abandoning most of it to change direction quite dramatically. The second draft is only just over 4,000 words but has a much better flow, and fits my characters a lot better :)
    Thanks for the welcome ChicagoLiz!
    Thanks for the notes Banzai, not to worry, I'm still a long way off beginning to post my work. At this stage I'm just excited to soak in everything around the forums - it's all very inspiring and helpful!

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome!