1. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

The Fault in Our Stars

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Luna13, Jul 7, 2012.

After much deliberation, my parents finally let me read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I just finished it, and thought it was excellent. I laughed aloud in parts, and it is one of the two books that have ever actually made me cry.

Any other opinions on this book?

2. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I loved that book. My friend preordered it for me for my birthday last year. I adore John Green. The craziest thing for me is that TFIOS is set in the same city I grew up in, so it was really strange to read John incorporating real life into fiction. I've never particularly enjoyed that about John's writing (although, from what I can tell about John he seems to really love blurring the line between reality and fiction), and in this case I found it really did distract me from the reading, but it was a strange feeling that I'm glad I've had... if that makes sense.

Anyway, yes, that was such a fantastic book. He's a master of emotions --I found myself laughing and crying at the same time, hating characters and loving them, etc. I have read all of John's books --Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, and Paper Towns. And TFIOS. After the last two, I didn't think he would ever top the masterpiece that is Looking for Alaska, as I personally believe An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns are rather lackluster, but TFIOS is really close if not better than Looking for Alaska. I can't decide which is superior and won't. :) I hope this book wins some spectacular awards this year. I think it needs to be read for years to come, and I hope a movie is made from it (movie rights have been purchased by Paramount I believe?) if nothing else only to greater publicize the awesome story John wrote. What an incredible tribute to Esther Earl as well... :)

If your parents had a difficult time with TFIOS, have they let you read Looking for Alaska? I highly recommend you do sometime... It explores many large-scale themes like TFIOS but in a completely different context. It's wonderful to compare the two. :)

3. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

I've never heard of this book, but did a quick wiki and it sounds great! I don't read a lot of YA books, but I may go pick this one up. Of course I read the whole synopsis and know how it ends, but it sounds like a beautiful story.

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

^ I'm glad you're interested! I don't read a lot of YA anymore and really just hold on to authors who are really unique in the genre --such as John Green and Ellen Hopkins (who writes some amazing poetry). It is too bad you know how it ends, but I do think you'll enjoy it regardless! Some of the magic in this book comes from the conversations the characters have in the novel, particularly between Hazel and her mother, that are really touching. It's difficult to read (not that the prose is difficult but that it is emotionally stressful to read) and worth it.

One of the things I love about John Green that sets him apart from other YA authors and something that I think has allowed him to become so successful is that he really, really respects his readers. Unlike some authors who seem to crank out shallow, tasteless, bland books, John Green picks themes and tells stories that are unlike any other on the bookshelf but have enough reality to make the reader feel like they are discovering an old friend. Everything in his novels happens for a reason, and I respect him because he recognizes that his readers are bright and valuable... I think that is a huge secret of his success in this genre. I would like to see him change up his style from time to time, but I suppose it works for him!

Happy reading, Steph! You won't be disappointed. :)

5. JonSpear360

JonSpear360 Member

I have only read The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns, but I just ordered Alaska and Katherines, and Let It Snow. I love John Green as well! check out his VlogBrothers/ Brotherhood2.0 videos with him and his brother, Hank. They are amazing characters themselves! haha.

It's also interesting to see the stuff that interests John over the last 5 years and how some of it makes its way into the prose. For instance, in one video John tells us about a quote he learned from Do Perignon about discovering Champagne and how it's like tasting the stars. Then you see Augustus and Hazel talking about it in the novel. It's really cool to see how his mind works :)

6. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

I have read Paper Towns and thought it was just okay, and plan to read Looking for Alaska although I have not yet done so. An Abundance of Katherines is not high up on my reading list, but maybe I'll get to it eventually.

Anyway, TFIOS is incredible. Rarely does a book make me laugh aloud, but John Green managed it.

7. *Katie

*Katie New Member

Surrounded by corn and tractors over here in ohio.
    The Fault in Our Stars made it's way to my Top 5 favorite books. It was literally the only book that ever made me cry. Me and my friend (she's the one that recomended/forced me to read that book) have the biggest obsession over Augustus. We decided that if he was real, we would both marry him and be sisterwives. I've always wanted to read Johns Greens other books, but my local library doesn't have them and I dont have money to buy them. So yeah, I basically think The Fault in Our Stars is one of the most amazing books that I have ever read.

8. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

Okay, so I am currently reading Looking for Alaska. It's pretty good, although certainly not one of my favorites. I don't want to post any spoilers, so I'll just say that I am in the "after" part of the story.