1. NICKP2009

NICKP2009 New Member

How you met your Significant Other

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NICKP2009, May 26, 2009.

I often ask couples how they met.

I'd love to hear your stories...

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

hOW vERY hUMBLE oF yOU.

3. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

*can't.. resist.. urge... to ... troll*

4. NICKP2009

NICKP2009 New Member

Just stating the facts my friend, though, I do appreciate your comment which has nothing to do with my post....NEXT.

5. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I'd say anyone who considers most women he meets as not 'worth his time' to be severly lacking in style and intelligence.

6. NICKP2009

NICKP2009 New Member

Well, thanks for your analysis doctor. The fact that I apparently have higher standards than you...must make me severely lacking... and definitely unintelligent. To think...I have standards that I wish the person I end up with to be a step above most people. That's just crazy and unintelligent to say the least.

You know it's funny that people get on the internet and get courage behind the computer screen. It's a safe haven for most of you ...im sure. I honestly was interested in hearing people's stories...If you have nothing good to add...do yourself a favor and leave.

7. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

I don't know what was originally said, but nearly everyone has high or at least exclusive standards, even if they won't admit it. Can anyone here honestly say that they'd forge an intimate relationship with anyone, or even a third of the population? There is only a small percentage of people who can meet the emotional/physical needs of any given individual, so even if OP didn't post this point tactfully, which I don't know either way, it's totally true.

As for me, I met my significant other on the internet in a friendship that wasn't supposed to be anything more. Not a great story, but it worked out.

8. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Very well. My ex girlfriend was originally my best friend, before she told me she wanted more.

That's about it.

9. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I met my wife through a mutual friend. Kinda boring, eh? Here we are though, 14 years later and happy. :)

10. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Well,

I met my exboyfriend in highschool, we only became friends because we lived on the same street, and because his family moved into our old house.

He didn't believe me when I told him (initally), it was only after I gave him an indepth description of it's layout he was like, 'okay.. maybe you did live there.'

11. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I met my spouce skinny dipping at a party. We dated for four years and then been married for almost eight years. Not a big story, college postponed the wedding and that is why so long on the dating.

12. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I don't have a significant other. But the lowercase "h" in the title of this thread bothers me.

13. NICKP2009

NICKP2009 New Member

Yeah, I tried to fix the "h" but it won't let me...

14. NICKP2009

NICKP2009 New Member

Met your spouse skinny dipping?? That's pretty cool.

15. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

16. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Yep, skinny dipping. First and last time I have ever done it. But when you really want to go swimming, and no suite, go for it, that and it was really dark. So it made a difference in my confidance, but it worked. My spouce and I have a really strange background.:rolleyes:

17. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    INTERnetz :eek:

Quite seriously. I'm proud to be a prime example that amongst the right settings, and with the right precautions, you can find your perfect match on the internet. This, however, happened by accident. We met on here, got chatting, met up as friends and became an item. He was the cutest, most fun, sweet, caring, kind romantic and GENUINE person I've ever met in my life. We've been together almost 5 months now, and we adore eachother. I love him to pieces and couldn't imagine a life where I didn't see his beautiful face all the time.

My first serious boyfriend, I met in highschool, and was in awe of him because he was, in fairness, amazing on guitar.
    We had a lovely relationship for 1 1/2 years, and then I eventually ended it, but we stayed friends. It was heartbreaking and took over a year for he and I to actually get over it, but it was for the best. We'd lived in eachothers pockets for ages and I think I just grew out of the relationship, needed something more.
    He now goes around trying to convince people that he's a vampire. Great.

The other serious boyfriend I'd love to delete from my life. He's a creep and it disgusts me to think I gave him the time of day. I met him through other people, but clearly didn't realise what a nasty horrible person he was before making the decision to go out with him.

So that's Ashleigh's timeline of 'significants'. However, I'm aiming to keep my sweetheart Matthew in my life for all time. He's perfect :)

18. Lauren

Lauren New Member

We were cast as the same character in a play together -- she as the forty-year-old Frances, and me as twelve-year-old Frankie. But don't be creeped out: despite the generation gap in character age, we're only three years apart.

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

at 70, i've had too many 'SO's to list them all, let alone go into the details of how met... here's just a small sample...

legal mates:
    met first husband at a party given by last bf's new gf
    met #2 in vegas, where i went to dump #1

some major lovers:
    on the beach at waikiki
    my house painter for 4 years, before 'declaring himself'
    a tenant in my upscale 'rooming house'

20. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

That's what i would have thought. But now i'd say it's just someone who values his time and doesn't want to waste it with anyone who really truly isnt worth it. Doesn't mean they aren't worthy people, just means not right for them.

In my opinion.

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Via the Internet. No shame to my game. We got to know each other and talked and talked and talked long before we met. I've met guys before in more 'traditional' ways and there was no correlation between tradition and success.

22. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I met my partner on a horror writers forum. My initial thoughts of him weren't the best, and he began chatting to my best mate before me anyway. She ended up giving him my msn address and I reluctantly added him to my contacts when the request came through.

He lived in the UK, I lived in Australia. So you don't exactly think anythign could ever happen... heh! We spent over a year chatting online and becoming very close. He would spend time talking to my kids on the phone and online as well. Then Novembe last year, he came over here for 2 weeks and that was that. We just knew the moment we looked into each others eyes for the first time (in person) that we were meant to be.

He left at the end of those two weeks and we continued to talk online, we spent many hours talking about things, making decisions, and both of us doing our own thinking. He returned back to Australia in February this year and moved in with myself and my two children and we are now expecting our first child together. Life is perfect and we honestly couldn't be any happier than we are as a family. My children call him daddy Dan, they asked if they could on their own accord, so we said they could call him daddy Dan. My children love him to pieces and so do I.

(I am now just looking forward to the day he puts a ring on my finger... :D :p)

Meeting people online like we met, can be rather risky, so if you decide to give it a try, be damn careful! I see myself as being extremely lucky.

23. NICKP2009

NICKP2009 New Member

Those are some awesome stories. It's cool to know that successful relationships can come from more than just meeting at a bar. Long distance relationships that actually work out are inspirational. It shows that if you find the right person then you just find a way to make it happen! Good stuff.

24. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Indeedy. However, it's Important to be safe if you meet someone on the internet...they can be extremely convincing. Some people create different personas on the net and even if they genuinely like you, it's very easy to keep it up.

If anyone's going to meet somebody off the internet, it must be broad daylight in a well known busy place.

Also, it's important to keep realistic....don't vest great amounts of PC time and emotion on something that could never happen.
    It's really not likely that somebody from austrailia will ever end up having a proper r/ship with someone from the UK....unless you're Dan and Tor :p But, that's because they were both able and commited, and willing to make compromises, and their hearts really were in it. It's a different story for 19 year olds with no money and commitments to home and Uni.

TBH i never thought i'd be one of the internet-meeting success stories, lolol. But, it's true - real love finds a way.

25. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I feel it's almost better to get to know people on the Internet. Or by pen pals, if you're old school.

Maybe it's because I'm not very touchy-feely. You dont have any prejudices against another and usually, if you find each other surfing the Web --chances are you have something in common, right?

I didnt meet my exboyfriend and my only significant other, who shall be my significant other forever, in an organization that I am not proud to have been a member of. (Thankfully we're both out of that, at least for the meantime, but that's another story.) He struck me as a very intelligent man with an interesting story to tell.
    I was right. :)
    We had a very good relationship, up to about January when he skipped his pills --and then the truth came out. I dont talk to him anymore. Sometimes I wish I could be famous just so he might find me (Slumdog Millionaire style). Fat chance. :rolleyes:

Oh, stop talking, Merc...