1. jYO

jYO New Member

Help in choosing first book to write

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by jYO, Aug 20, 2008.

So I'm finally getting around to actually writing my first book, but I'm torn on which approach to take. I'm realistic in knowing that most people never get published or actually become full time authors, but I still want to take an approach that at the very least provides the best chance at that happening eventually.

Do I go with a more established genre like SCI-FI that would potentially be more difficult to write (science research, more intricate plotlines), or do I go with the baseball drama (a genre I know extremely well), but most likely less appealing?

Any advice is certainly appreciated.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Noi one can decide that for you. You have to write where your inpsiration directs you, not where other people's thoughts wander.

FYI: on this site, discussion posts should be self contained. It's ok to provide an offsite link to go to for supplementary information, but it should NOT be necessary to visit the link to respond to the discussion.

3. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I agree with Cogito's statement that nobody can decided which story you want to write. Now, if your asking our personal opinions about which we would enjoy more, that's different. Personally, I think a sci-fi piece would be much more interesting, but I'm not really into sports in general. But again:its your decision. Choose what you think would be more enjoyable for both yourself and your audience.

4. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Ahem...hard science fiction with dragons...seriously.

5. jYO

jYO New Member

Good points. Sorry about the link, will abide by rules moving forward.

I'm passionate about both. I'm just wondering does choosing a lesser popular genre make it more difficult for potential publishing options.

Again, I know a lot of things have to happen regardless, but I'm just curious what other authors experience in choosing what to write, especially if it's more likely to be successful if you stick to one genre. That makes the initial decision all the more important.

6. Rapture

Rapture New Member

Sci-fi is enjoyable, but you would have to bring a lot to the table so to speak in order to stand out from the crowd. I'd say write about sports on the grounds that it would be easier to find your own footing in the genre. At the same time though, you need to focus on writing what you like more, if you prefer Sci-fi over sports then nothing should stop you from going down that road.

7. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Try writing the first chapter of both of these ideas. Hopefully, you'll get a feel of which one will work and which one won't.

8. biddy

biddy New Member

How about baseball in the 25th century...

9. Rapture

Rapture New Member

A sci-fi sports drama XD

wait that actually sounds interesting o_O

10. biddy

biddy New Member

I'm gonna make a complete twit of myself now. I keep seeing "XD" on postings. What's it mean?

11. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Jason,

As was said, no one can really tell you which would be best to write first. All things being equal, write the story that you would enjoy most and feel you would write best.

Terry

12. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Jason,

I think your question may be premature. Write that which brings you a smile every day and don't worry about it's potential marketability. You're far more apt to actually FINISH a story if you enjoy writing it. As far as selling it to a publisher, worry about that after the fact. You see, good stories come from the heart; they are a passion, a tale that demands escape to print. If you attempt to force your writing, it's a pretty good bet it will read the same way it was written - forced. So, sit down at your typewriter or keyboard, and just start clicking. You might be surprised by what you discover.