The First World Whinging Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 3, 2018.

1. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I suck at writing. I hate everything that I write. I never have "fun" writing. I don't know how; it takes constant, strenuous, effort to slog through every word of every sentence.

EDIT: This was longer but I'm insufferable enough as it is. At least this is the last post on this page and in all likelihood will be seen by nobody.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Sorry, saw it.

Dogberry's Watch and jim onion like this.
  3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

No, I'm sorry. I could've saved you so much time if I'd just had the sense to delete it!

EDIT: Goodnight.

4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    G'night, sleep tight, don't let any of unpleasant things bite.

jim onion likes this.
  5. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

If I had fun every time I wrote, I'd contribute far more outside the lounge.

I can only think of one story I wrote that I actually enjoyed. So naturally, I stalled on it. :rolleyes:

jim onion likes this.
  6. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

:superlaugh:
    That was well written!

jim onion and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Unrelated, but one of the things I enjoy about this forum is the mental game of converting everyone's posts into their native time zone from the time stamps on my end (EST, United States, 5 hours behind GMT??). This is followed by another game of figuring out who's up early and who's up late (and whether alcohol may be a factor in the tone of their posts, assuming normal cocktail hours).

The funny thing is that I tend to work (or used to) extremely late hours, typically 2pm to 2am, so for me to be logged on at home at 4am isn't unusual. So while most normal people on the East Coast are asleep it's 9am in the UK, 1am in California, and roughly 6pm for our Asian/Aussie friends. That last one is always a bit tricky, but I used to play more games on line with a lot of Japanese participants, and had to remember to add two hours to my time and flip the sun around. Add two and flip the sun. Add two and flip the sun.

8. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

The last email I got from the guberament said I should be able to file by April 5th it is the 6th still no pin. Can`t even check my claim status without the pin which has yet come in the mail. Was gonna put this in not happy but moving to First World Whining because I know the systems just overwhelmed and we`re all gonna figure this out....but I would just like to know whats going on man. The hotels shut until June, I would like to be able to cover my ass in the mean times..

Just have to wait but ...bah.....hate all this....

I miss my hotel.

9. Homer Potvin

Took me three weeks. Just got everything through today. Hang in.

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  10. flawed personality

Wondering why Pizza Hut now have a delivery charge as well as a minimum order amount.

dbesim and Cave Troll like this.
  11. Homer Potvin

You have Pizza Hut in Ireland? Shit, sorry about that.

12. flawed personality

It's good for the occasional feast.

dbesim and Cave Troll like this.
  13. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Pizza Hut has the triple box feast.
    2 Pizzas, 2 sides, 1 desert.
    Mmm Caesar Salad Pizza

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    The best pizza we have is <sigh> Dominos.

No, I mean that. That's the high bar. And our Dominos moved so we're out of range now. Broke down and ordered Pizza Hut two weeks ago and half of it's still in the freezer.

The local Japanese company's pizza is even worse.

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

For one of the very dumb moments of my life (thar be many) I forgot you don't live in the US and I was about to be all "THERE'S SO MUCH BETTER what are you DOING?" And then I caught up. Sorry.

---
    I still don't know the date of my actual closing on the house or when I'm moving? Is that first world whinging?

16. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Call me white trash but I love Pizza Hut in every way.

17. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I won't call you trash, just look at you very carefully from now on.

18. Homer Potvin

Science H. Logic! That's terrible. Wouldn't hurt for y'all to get some ethnic diversity up in there, if only for the food. Would an Italian restaurant even work in Japan? I mean, one staffed with non-Japanese? Would there even be a market for it?

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    They say that if a restaurant can make it in Osaka, it can make it anywhere in Japan. If the nation is a house, Osaka is the kitchen. The problem with staffing a restaurant with non-Japanese is you are going to have to have someone or several someones who speak, read, and write enough Japanese to keep things going. How's the waitstaff going to communicate with the cooks? Who's going to order the raw ingredients? Can you even get the raw ingredients, or are you going to have to make a ton of compromises to your recipes?

I'm sure it could be done. I used to go to an Ethiopian restaurant, owner was an Ethiopian dude who eventually took Japanese citizenship (it's not easy, don't ask), he'd poached his chef from the Ethiopian embassy in Tokyo, and he had relatives from back home shipping him his spices and such. Had my wedding reception there actually, but with 20-30 people we took up every seat in the joint. He had a good run, maybe ten years or so, but I didn't get there very often once I moved and one time it was just shuttered with a "Tenant needed" sign.

20. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Me too!

21. flawed personality

Our Vietnamese take away advertises chicken, chips and onion rings. I'm sure that's what they eat in Vietnamese homes across the country... :rolleyes:

I've yet to discover a decent chippy here.

22. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Wow. I cannot complain at all in the pizza department because we have some beautifully quaint and “home-style” restaurants (owned by Italians) where there are actual Italian chefs who make the dough fresh because it’s an open kitchen and you can see them spinning the dough right in front of you before they add on all your favourite toppings and pop it “a la fresh” into the oven and we absolutely LOVE it. Pizza Express make a decent enough pizza too.

These are places where you get to have the entire pizza all to yourself as opposed to sharing out the slices. I haven’t had a proper pizza for aeons because I’ve been on a diet and I crave it so much! I order lasagnes instead. Unfortunately, they’re all closed now and I’m not sure if Pizza Express do deliveries. Pizza Hut is a very tasty service too and Kid-friendly - they used to give us crayons and illustrations to fill in when I was a kid - just slightly more fattening than “fresh” pizzas because of the type of lard they use. :D

23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    First world whinge?

Nope, first world WIN!

Adsense is suspicious of wherever my VPN is coming out of lately, so it's asking me to prove I'm not a robot before...

...running autoplay ads.

Thanks, I'm good :)

24. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

I have nothing to add to the pizza discussion other than that we`ve started getting take out menus from places in the mail which...credit to them it`s a good move... but at least one or two aren`t even from places in my town. Like are you really gonna deliver this far out? I doubt it, and dam does there food look good.

We`re halfway through this now...maybe it feels like...it`s April 9th....the hotel reopens (knock on wood) in June....idk time isn`t real anymore....but I`m still just a mess. I had some semblance of routine built and them kablam it`s all gone now and I keep falling into that loop of ADHD not being able to do anything, leading to anxiety and panic, leading to depression and lots of sleep. I`ve had a few days with a loose structure but still feels like nothing "real" gets done in them. Idk what I want "real" to be, the urgent stuff (unemployment, healthcare) is all stuff I can`t do anything about until I get the right papers, so i`m just sitting here upside down in a chair waiting to ether slide out of it or rupture my brain. All that`s left to do is clean, do projects, and focus on self-improvement/self-care but with executive functioning problems and compared task transaction switching into those things is like jamming a round peg into a square hole filled with razor blades. It`s always like this when I get time blocks like this and it makes me hate myself so much, this crippling self-loathing. I`m great in a crisis like most ADHD brains because those our NOW all the time and our brains like to sort between now and not now. This is a crisis, but not one i can do anything about other then stay home...where everything is just...not now.

People are out there helping people, doing projects, saving lives, making art, and I`m just here a puddle of anxiety and depressoin...makes me feel so small....

Can I go back to work yet?

And now John Prime is dead and Bernie`s dropped out....

I hate this year.

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I know this one all too well.
    Unless it is coming via UPS or FedEx,
    I can safely say delivery from takeout
    means having to drive into town and
    getting it myself. O_O

Some Guy likes this.