The First World Whinging Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Owls, man....

2. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

My wife made an observation about that movie once: would a lawyer actually leave a loaded gun in an unlocked cabinet in a hunting cabin he’d only visit every couple months or so, even in Alabama?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I’ve noticed, over the last few months, that amazon’s Prime service no longer includes weekend deliveries. Order something through Prime on a weekday and more often than not it’s guaranteed for next-day delivery. Order on a Friday and the arrival date is always the following Monday. When did they sneak that one in??

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Haven't seen that in my neck of the woods yet. Maybe it's an area-of-distribution thing? I live in one of the most densely populated areas of the US, and you can't throw a rock without hitting an Amazon distribution center.

OurJud likes this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I’ve done a bit of digging since and the likelihood is my address is registered as a business. The architect who converted whatever this building was, into the flat/apartment it is now, has his office next door (part of the same building) and I suspect the whole building is registered under his business (no doubt to avoid some form of land / residential tax). If I change the delivery address to my old address, or to an amazon locker, I can get next day delivery. I’ve explained this to amazon and they’ve ‘escalated’ my query.

6. keysersoze

keysersoze Senior Member

I have no friends. I mean I know people from graduate college. I know one person from the post graduate college. huhhhh... I know some people from here and there. But friends, for banter. Just to vent it all out. Exchanges that are meaningless and fun. I know you, you know me. You pull my leg, I pull yours. Make each other feel normal if only for a little while. It can be enough. Really. But there is no one like that. No one knows me like that and I don't know anyone that way.

7. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

At 9pm last night my wife looks over at me and asks ‘Do you know what you’re wearing?’
    I say bluejeans, a fleece pullover, and my DILIGAF shirt.
    She says ‘No, tomorrow. What are you wearing tomorrow?’
    I’m thinking she’s talking about this video conference I had scheduled for this morning with some account managers with my health insurance, so I assure her I will wear pants.

Getting to the point, she forgot to tell me we’re going to a wedding today at 3. She never once mentioned to me a date or time for this wedding. I know the couple, so I knew they were getting married, just never knew when.

So now, I have to dig out a shirt and tie, dress up like I’m a respectable civilized person when my house is a construction zone and I have no idea where that stuff got to.

A little advanced notice would have been nice. That’s all I’m saying.

8. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Nothing first world about that--- it can happen to anyone, anywhere. And I wouldn't call it whingeing. Human contact is essential.

That said, I won't offer false comfort. Interactions on a site like this just aren't the same. Just, well, is this something you can live with? If not, what can you do to change it?

Yeah, I know. I'm coming in all full of solutions when you just want to be heard. And you are heard. Believe me, I know how this is from experience, and what I've said is a lecture I've had to give myself.

Oh, what the heck:
    :friend:

keysersoze likes this.
  9. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Just as I had pretty much decided to cancel Netflix and YouTube TV because I thought I was spending to much time staring at a screen, my nephew visited for a few days and while he was here, signed me up as an additional viewer on his accounts for Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max and Discovery+. Coupled with the discovery that Barnes and Noble offers over 100,000 free NOOK books, it's clear I'll never see the sun again.

10. Catrin Lewis

Yeah. Or, if you're like me, never get a word of writing done.

11. keysersoze

keysersoze Senior Member

I can turn that into a first world whingeing. I recently shifted to this big house. It's beautiful and large, the sort where you can imagine big parties happening, well... not that big but still big enough. And who do I see in this big house of mine? Just me and my wife.

The rooms upstairs and the rooms downstairs, I can fill the whole house with imagined people, but I cannot fill them with real ones. The space outdoors that I want to turn into a lawn... I feel no motivation to do it just for myself. If only there were people. I don't care what kind. . . first world, third world, Russians... The house is lovely. It asks me for guests every single day. I won't get them and not least because of the stupid pandemic.

P.S. I don't live in the first world. Heck! I like this place. I will talk more about my house.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  12. Catrin Lewis

There you go. That first-worlded it up nicely.

I've always wondered what the second world was. Places like Turkey or Romania, maybe, that have a lot going for them but aren't so well-off as North America and western Europe?

I, for one, would like to hear more about your house.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  13. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I think maybe I live in the second world but am close enough to the first world to make regular visits. We live on a dirt road that has been abandoned by the county in an attempt to force residents of this little rural area to form a neighborhood association and pay to pave the road, add curbs and gutters. Then the city can annex our area without any effort or expense on the part of the city, and start charging us city taxes. We've dug in our stubborn heels and dedicated ourselves to helping each other in and out of ruts in which one could lose the state of Montana plus several small third world countries. Still fighting the Establishment after all these decades. :supertongue:

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  14. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

The second world was the communist bloc.

Catrin Lewis and Catriona Grace like this.
  15. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

HA! I had forgotten that, if indeed I ever knew it. Well, then, I'm not in the second world. This is Wyoming where being Red means something different than communist. Maybe we're just an alternate universe over here in dirt road land.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  16. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I always assumed there was Old World, The New World, and then the Third World. But I'm not sure if that's what it really means.

Or... oh. Are you guys just riffing on First World? Derp. :nosleep:

17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

This map shows the original definitions - first world in green, second world in red and third world in yellow... its of note that the original definition of third world meant undeveloped countries aligned with neither nato nor the warsaw pact... which is why somewhere like Yemen/somalia which is an utter war torn shit hole is not considered third world by the original definition (first world neutrals are in white)

First-Second-Third-world-map.jpg

18. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

My understanding was that:

Third World: Agriculture based economy
    Second world: Manufacturing based economy
    First world: Service based economy

Xoic likes this.
  19. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The antithesis of Rhode Island. We're as Blue as blue gets. It was either us or Massachusetts that were the only state/states to vote again Nixon in 1972 and Reagan in 1984. Might be wrong about that.

20. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

probably on account of how close you are to the ocean.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Minnesota was the only state to go for Mondale in 1984. It was his home state (and the first time I really had any inkling about presidential elections. My definition of a landslide has been forever skewed by that round.)

For historical purposes (dunno why Wisconsin's came up early in my google, but here we are):

[​IMG]

22. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

When I get super comfortable in bed, but then realize I have to get back out of bed to get my books and Nintendo Switch. -_-

23. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I wish the local library would stock the theatrical cuts of films in addition to the director's cut, instead of only the director's cut. If a film happens to have a director's cut then that's all they have.

LucatheRat likes this.
  24. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I wish Facebook would stop reading my private emails. I didn't even know that LNER still existed, but last week my (ageing) mother mentioned that "LNER trains didn't used to stop at [her village] but you could telephone the signalman and arrange it" - now that must have been before the second world war and she was suggesting that she did it for me once (before I was born to visit an aunt I have never met), anyway - I mentioned this in a private (private?) email to my brother, and what pops up on facebook a couple of days later?

upload_2021-5-26_10-10-4.png

Baader Meinhof phenomenon or invasive nosy bastard phenomenon???

Catrin Lewis and Iain Aschendale like this.
  25. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    153 points to Huffendor for correct use of Baader Meinhoff phenomenon in a sentence!

Hammer likes this.