The First World Whinging Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I have lived in Arizona most of my life, and I have never seen
    an Arizona Walrus. Must be too far north, they probably live
    closer to Sierra Vista.

2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Netflix, even though it's cheap, gets pretty boring. Need good shows to watch but I'm too sick to ask anyone.

I could just text, like, stop wasting texting energy on this message but....too late. >_>

John-Wayne and Shenanigator like this.
  3. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Don't know if that's on Netflix, but it's my go-to recommendation. Best. Show. Ever.)

You know how I complained about the blazing heat yesterday? Well, it's cold and rainy today. I feel as if a spell has broken. Come back, sun! I didn't really mind being too hot!

4. EstherMayRose

There is no hot water in House. This is not a joke, I had the worst shower of my life last night and that includes all the ones in that creepy claustrophobic shower with the scary fan we had when I was little.

5. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

The BBC news people seem to think that the royal wedding is more important than actual news.

6. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Yeah, here in the U.S. as well, and it's getting annoying. Worse when I have a mother who claims to be tired of hearing about it but keeps up bringing up shit about Harry or the wedding that I don't give two shits about.

Cave Troll and SkinnyPuppy like this.
  7. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

May I suggest Amazon Video, I myself am just discovering the greatest that is it.

Shenanigator likes this.
  8. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

I ordered a book from a South Korean company and it's not going to be here for like 10 days but I want it noooooowwwwwwww.

Also I paid $20 for shipping. :dead:

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  9. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I forgot to get coffee at the supermarket the other day, so this morning I had to drink tea.

Dragon Turtle, Cave Troll and Trish like this.
  10. EstherMayRose

You'd never get on over here!

I don't like tea that much, either.

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

And so does the majority of the viewership. Like the GZA said, the dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum.

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I was at dinner with my mom, her "boyfriend," my brother, etc., and they kept talking about watching this wedding on television. All I felt was shame. No words to express my disappointment in dinner conversation.

Shenanigator, Trish and Homer Potvin like this.
  13. Homer Potvin

Yeah. I guess my aunt DVRed it, and she, my mother and wife are going to watch it later. My wife is saying everything in a British accent this morning, but, to give her credit, she's mostly saying "fuck off," "kiss my tit," and "I'll kill you all." So there's that. And then she asked me if I'd watch it with her and feed her tea and scones. I replied, no, but I'll drink whiskey and feed her (affection). She seemed mildly interested. Or casually indifferent. I don't know... 50/50? Something to look forward to, maybe.

Spencer1990, Trish and Shenanigator like this.
  14. Shenanigator

This is hilarious! I'm the devotedly single, never wanna get married one here, yet I stayed up to watch the wedding and got all "awww" when I saw the way he looked at her.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  15. EstherMayRose

We all watched it in the common room together, we all cheered when they kissed and made jokes about the royal family singing the national anthem ("God save Granny...")

Shenanigator likes this.
  16. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

Today my vile family demonstrated how little they care about my weight loss plans.
    Not only did they force cake and my favourite cookies upon me, they also insisted on inviting me out for dinner. Carbs are the enemy, folks, but there was no way for me to escape that basket of warm, freshly baked white bread.
    They also dismissed my objections on them passing me all the ouzo shots the waiter kept bringing us, which is the reason why I'm more than just a little tipsy while writing this. (all through no fault of my own, of course)

17. Homer Potvin

Our wedding photographer snapped this perfectly timed picture of us at the "altar." My wife and I are gazing into each other's eyes, and I have this skeptical look on my face like I'm thinking wait, until what do us part? It's hilarious. My mother put it on a coffee cup.

EstherMayRose, Trish and Shenanigator like this.
  18. Homer Potvin

Oof... stick with Averna, Strega, and limoncello.

Shenanigator likes this.
  19. Shenanigator

That's hilarious! (And so is your mother.) And that would totally be me...if I they were able to drag me that far.

Homer Potvin and Trish like this.
  20. Homer Potvin

Yeah... acorns, trees, and the likely distance between.

Shenanigator and Trish like this.
  21. EstherMayRose

I really like the display and celebratory atmosphere, to be honest. I've only been to three weddings in my life (and one of them doesn't really count because I was two) but both times I can remember I really enjoyed dressing up and (in the latter case) meeting up with family, and also the food and the dancing. To be honest, I'm not really one for the whole romance and "magic" of the thing, especially with divorce rates so high, but with my mum's cousin I realised that I kind of live in a bit of a bubble. "That won't happen to anyone in our family." (Even though it has.) I really wish I could plan a wedding and see it come off - now I just have to find a willing couple to let me take over the planning of theirs! I'd want it to be a lesbian couple so I could pick two dresses. (Also, for me the worst part of planning a wedding would be taking into account the opinions of my fiancé/fiancée.)

For Harry and Meghan, I think the appeal is the mystique, glamour, and pageantry of royalty. It's an old and storied institution and it's something that I feel makes us British, even though loads of other countries have monarchies too. I felt so patriotic today.

Shenanigator likes this.
  22. Shenanigator

Me too. I love the pageantry and watching all the horses.

Ditto. Part of me always wonders how long it'll last. But I did love the way he looked at her, and the sweet way he helped her negotiate the stairs afterward. You can tell he really loves her, and that's nice to see. And "Stand By Me" was the perfect song.

Maybe you can someday, EM. And I do get it-- I have no desire to plan a wedding, but I'm good at planning parties.

As well you should! Part of my ancestry is English, so I feel a bit of...nostalgia for my roots, let's say?

23. EstherMayRose

The thing is, I'm aromantic, so I don't want to actually get married, just plan a wedding - maybe when I get filthy rich off my books I can pay a couple of actors to "get married" so I can see my ideal wedding! :) (There's got to be someone who'll do it if you flash enough cash, won't there?)

Shenanigator likes this.
  24. Shenanigator

Homes, when you watch later, look for the part where for just a moment Harry looks as if he might faint. My sis and I were Facetiming while watching, and it made us laugh. If you blink you might miss it, but God it was funny. He got it together really fast, though.

EM, wedding planners make a lot of money, in the US, anyway, so maybe you can get someone to pay you to organize organise it for them. (British spelling seems right today.:))

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Vespa.jpg