The First World Whinging Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 3, 2018.

1. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

It's also a data whore, which doesn't work for my limited wifi set up. I get 7.5GB of 4G, which is supposed to last a month. I go through it in about a week, and it costs me 20 euro per time. I haven't got a stable income atm, so I can't get a bank account and a modem. *sigh*

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Skype is free if you are on an unlimited plan (as most of us with land line connections are , mobile not so much)

Mind you 7.5GB ought to last a lot longer than a week... you can turn down the resolution or turn video off and just use it for voice

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yelp. Fucking Yelp. I asked for Ethiopian restaurants near X City. If there are none, just say so, that's fine. Don't give me reviews on a taco stand, Mexico and Ethiopia are different places by a fucking long shot.

Cave Troll and John-Wayne like this.
  4. flawed personality

Paypal is claiming they don't have an account connected to my email address! Fuck modern INconvenience.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Square Enix is the only big name in games with its own official store in the UK (not counting Nintendo because that's just a licence to the same group as Zavvi) but their delivery is really sub par. My bf is a big soundtrack nut and he loves to buy officially where he can, but it's rare to see a delivery from them that isbis damaged. One time, a limited edition disc saw its case damaged in transit and this sold out in between.

Their policy is to, when you ask for replacements, to repay you in vouchers for their store to make up for postage. Sneaky gits.

So here I am, waiting in a queue at the post office to post a damaged Octopath Traveller soundtrack.

6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Maybe you should google words active but odd asperger.

Some of us active&odds are socially hyperactive (but clumsy), like crowded places just like some deeply autistic likes spinning wheel...

We are in very wide spectrum.

7. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Do you really believe that someone does?

Jenissej and Iain Aschendale like this.
  8. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

When you want to pass someone running in front of you on the track, but you're 100% certain if you do, you will get a side-splitting stitch right after and then they will have to pass you, and it's gonna be all kinds of awkward... oh but there's more, when your stitch passes and you start running again, you will catch them again, and have to pass them again, and then it's just going to be all kinds of ridiculous.

Sigh.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Why not just get a car and drive? No stitch that way. And you'll get there faster. And you won't hear the other person cursing you for passing them. Plenty of advantages!

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Of course why didn't I see it. It is always safer to drive on the sidewalk. :D
    Though you might have to wash your car a bit more often due to all the
    pink squishy things that will get in your way. :p

11. minstrel

Reporter: Mr. Stark, why did you make your super-suit out of metal?
    Tony Stark: I originally experimented with ground beef, but my assistant Pepper pointed out that Iron Man sounded better than Pink Squishy Man. It turns out there were other advantages, too.

12. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Oh for fuck's sake....

Trying to get set up to send money back home. I go to my bank, which is one of the better ones in this benighted country, and tell them I want to wire money to my bank back home.

They say "O Noes, we can't do that!"

I say, "Well, what about here, on your website, where it has instructions for getting set up to wire money internationally?"

"O, you mean the SuperFLEX Remittance Super System? That's totally different and it never occurred to us that when you said you wanted to wire money home via our website you meant the SuperFLEX Remittance Super System, which says it's the "easiest way to wire money home" on our website."

"Yeah, that one. Says here I need to come to the bank to do some paperwork for that."

"No no no no no, you need to come to the bank if you want to use the SuperFLEXIBLE Remittance Super System, not the SuperFLEX Remittance Super System, and you aren't eligible for the SuperFLEXIBLE Remittance Super System at your investment level."

"Okay, so what do I need to do to apply for the SuperFLEX Remittance Super System?"

"Well, you can only do that online, so you should probably go home and take care of it. Anything else we can help you with?"

And then when I get home, all my documents in order, I discover that "apply online" means fill in a form and then print out the results, attach photocopies of my relevant IDs, and mail it in to the bank. Which I was just at. And after 7-10 business days, they'll mail back a packet either accepting or declining my application to send money back home, but it's a packet that will require my personal signature, cannot be accepted by spouses, and if I mail it today...

Waitaminute, next week is a shit-ton of holidays, that's why my plane tickets were so expensive. That should delay the 7-10 business days enough to let me get back to Japan in time to receive the packet.

Well, at least that bit might work out okay.

Shenanigator, Jenissej and Cave Troll like this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Nope, nevermind, they need an updated ID that we aren't required to have until next year, and I haven't gotten around to getting yet.

My life would be a lot simpler if one of my flights went all MH370 and all I had to do was fight off tropical polar bears.

14. flawed personality

Don't get me started on banks and monetary institutions. Oh boy! :bigmad:

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  15. Writersaurus

Writersaurus Member

'Flawed Personality', how about instead, we start on hospitals?

My uncle has stage 3 cancer, and the hospital told him that they're not treating him yet because there's little chance of it spreading - but surely, stage 3 is quite advanced. The next stage is them telling him 'there's nothing we can do - all we can do is buy you some time'. That's the health service for ya.

16. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

PayPal?

Shenanigator and Iain Aschendale like this.
  17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Interesting thought

Shenanigator likes this.
  18. flawed personality

Please don't swear when I'm online!

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Do they not have Western Union in japan, or paypal ....

20. minstrel

My partner and I were in Japan for six months in 2001, and needed to get cash from America. The only way we could do it was through American Express. My partner had to go to downtown Tokyo, to the American Express office to pick up the cash, but at least they could get it to us. Western Union couldn't do it. No bank we dealt with in America could do it.

Just American Express. I have become a huge American Express fan. They've never failed to come through for me on any international transaction.

21. Writersaurus

Writersaurus Member

My sister's in Japan right now. She goes all over the place - I envy her. In a loving way of course...:)

flawed personality likes this.
  22. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm heading out of Japan tomorrow, to a mystical land where you can see people of all races, creeds, and orientations, diverse, yet unified in their hatred of each other and everyone who isn't them...

Shenanigator, Cave Troll and Moon like this.
  23. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]
    Fuck yeah!

OT: Setting my alarm for an hour earlier than usual was a pretty bad idea....

24. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I've played 55 hours worth of Fallout 4 over the last two weeks and I thought I found something cool...

...but my dad had already found it and he had only played maybe five hours. I was so excited to show him and he said, "I thought you had already found it."

25. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

When I was younger, I once spent around a thousand plus hours playing Fallout New Vegas. Not in one sitting, mind you, but over the course of about two years. After that one long play through, I started a new character and instantly found an unexplored area I somehow missed in those thousand plus hours. Not to mention unexplored dialogue options leading to new outcomes. Yesh.

The amount of content in some games is staggering.