The Food Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Cogito, Dec 31, 2012.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I bought a tin of rice pudding a few days ago, cos I remember enjoying it as a kid, but nice though it was, it wasn't the stuff I remember. So I guessed it must have been semolina I was thinking of, so I bought a tin of that. It wasn't that either and now, by the power of elimination, have reached the conclusion it was tapioca, so now have to buy a tin of that to confirm.

katina likes this.
  2. katina

katina Banned Contributor

anything in a tin is usually not very nice. it is best to make your own fresh . rice pudding is easy to make.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I often stir-fry chicken in large batches and then freeze it for inclusion in later meals, and I made a batch of it earlier this year that was seasoned to perfection. It was quite possibly the tastiest chicken I've ever had in my life.

But, of course, I season things differently every time, following the "a little of this, a little of that" cooking technique, and I have NO IDEA what I put in this old batch that made it so tasty. I've been saving the last little bowl of it in my freezer, eating all the other inferior chicken, saving the last of that one magic batch for some special occasion... or maybe for chemical analysis...!

4. katina

katina Banned Contributor

hi there BayView how do you season it because it sounds like a great idea ?

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Well, that's the problem - I season it differently every time!

I generally try for a sort of middle-of-the-road mix... like, not clearly Italian or Thai or Mexican or anything, so I can use the results in a wider variety of recipes. I buy seasoning mixes, often. Sometimes the trendy hand-crafted ones, sometimes Mrs. Dash or equivalent! So I just have a big bowl of chopped raw chicken, add seasonings until it smells about right (I often add some soy sauce or Worcestershire or whatever sauce I've got open in the fridge) and then stir-fry it in smaller batches so it cooks properly.

I can't give you anything close to a recipe, though, because it's always different. Whatever flavours you like, I guess?

katina likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Olives - yes or no?

Apparently they fall under the same bracket as Marmite and fresh coriander - you either love ‘em or hate ‘em.

An interesting theory is that if you fall into the latter camp, but can force yourself to eat 12 in one go, you’ll be hooked.

I can’t abide them and find the taste unbearably nasty.

7. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Most of my favorite dishes I make myself. Pasta Puttanesca, Pork Verde, General Tso's Chicken, Monte Cristo Sandwiches, Steak and Mushrooms, Fruit Pizza, Minestrone Soup. I have a book of recipes that were cooked by my favorite Fictional Detective, Nero Wolfe. I live in the boondocks, so I grow my own fruits, veggies and herbs to some extent. Got a spicy garlic dill pickle recipe that has been in the family for ages.

None of the equals the greatest culinary invention of the last millennia, however. For the uninitiated, that dish is Carrot Cake. I would rather have chilled slice of Carrot Cake and a small glass of milk than almost anything.

-SIN

8. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Few days back I was walking with my camera in a city nearby.

I tried to both get back some lost gutt feeling to photographing + learn a bit more cinematic visualisation.

Visual narrative thinking helps writing. Textual narrative thinking helps photo, audio and video working.

While being in one place I shot some food.

Hamppari Kauppahallissa.jpg
    ©Alan Aspie
    35mm, f4, ISO 800

Pullatiski.jpg
    © Alan Aspie
    35mm, f4, ISO 800

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

And also an egg.

(White egg on white surface is a classical photographing training task. It's fun to think how to make that colourful, visual, emotional...)

After shooting this I smashed it to a table so that shell got broken, peeled it and ate. So... There is some multi format training, a story and some food.

Muna.jpg
    © Alan Aspie

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020