The Food Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Cogito, Dec 31, 2012.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Pork or chicken: Pour any kind of appropriate gourmet sauce from the bottle over the meat in a baking dish. Bake at about 350F for about 30 minutes, test with a meat thermometer to be sure it's done. (If the meat is tough chances are it's overdone.)

If you desire a more balanced meal than just meat, heat some ready cooked rice in the microwave and eat it with butter or sauce from the baking pan.

Get your greens at another time, or pour a ready made salad from the bag into a bowl.

:D

2. GingerCoffee

Good idea.

I get those packaged cornedbeef cuts from QFC, complete with little spice things all over them. Throw it in the crock pot, cover the meat with water, cook overnight. Comes out great, lasts a couple days. You can eat it hot or make sandwiches from it, hot or cold. Just add mayo and your choice of bread.

:D

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

GingerCoffee for Chef of the Year! Not because her recipe is good, but because she is able to find bottles of gourmet sauce, ovens, meat thermometers, microwaves, etc. on Ralph's side of the island ...

;)

4. GingerCoffee

Piggy and I salvaged them from the shipwreck, use a wood fired brick oven for the meat. The excess heat from the oven runs the steam powered generator for the microwave. I must admit, waiting for bags of fresh salad to wash up on shore has been a bit trickier.

I do hope I'm not ruining the thread here. I thought it only fair that we gourmet eaters who hate to cook be represented as well. ;)

5. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Considering that I just had a chopped cucumber for dinner, I think you deserve to be considered a gourmet eater!

I did squeeze some lemon juice on it, though...

Cogito, good job with the sourdough starter!
    I always fail with starters, they die or become moldy.

6. Nee

Nee Member

Okay then...

Here is a variation on General Tso’s Chicken.

General Nee’s Chicken :D

3 lbs boneless chicken cut into bite size pieces

Marinate chicken in white wine (chardonnay) and carrot juice
    for 20 mins. Pat dry with towel roll in flour and dredge in a
    mixture of:

¼ cup soy sauce
    1 cup corn starch
    and 1 beaten egg

Deep fry chicken pieces in hot oil (350-375 degrees) ‘til crispy.
    You may need to do it in batches so keep chicken warm in an
    oven set at 190 ‘til all the chicken has been cooked.

Stir fry 8-12 Serrano chilies split lengthwise and seeded
    And 2 cups of sliced green onion in ¼ stick of butter in
    a very hot pan or wok. Just as the edges brown slightly
    pour in sauce and cook ‘til it thickens. If it gets too thick
    thin with a little chardonnay.

Fold hot chicken into sauce and serve with sides of rice and
    steamed and buttered broccoli.

Sauce:

Mix in a large bowl:
    2/3 cup corn starch
    8 – 12 ounces chicken stock
    Two cloves of garlic, finely minced
    ½ cup soy sauce
    ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
    ½ cup chardonnay
    ¼ cup honey
    2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
    1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
    1 heaping teaspoon dark brown sugar
    ¼ teaspoon cardamom
    ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
    ¼ teaspoon white pepper
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg

...Oh yeah.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Shipwreck? Could have sworn it was a plane crash...

8. GingerCoffee

I didn't say it was the ship they arrived on, did I? Perhaps I should have said, a shipwreck rather than the shipwreck.

But since you mention it, I shan't lie, I recalled the ship that rescued them and had forgotten how they got on the island in the first place. I read the book when I was about 10, and that was a long while ago. The scene in the book where Ralph saw Piggy's brain matter on the rocks put a mark on my brain forever. (Sorry, I know this is the food thread.)

If anyone is curious, the meaning of being on Ralph's side of the island is because rational thinking plays a significant role in my life now. I also admit to stealing the line from a friend on another forum. On that forum my location is 'shifting through paradigms'. The literary reference seemed more apropos here.

Sorry again. That's probably more than people wanted to know. Think I'll go buy that corned beef now. :)

9. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

I had Chicken and Dumplings for supper tonight. It was a crock pot meal that my mother put together. It was good and easy for her to make.

10. Cogito

I don't think I've made chicken and dumplings yet this year. I should, before the weather warms up.

11. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Top food I favor

1. German
    2. Japanese
    3. Indian
    4. Greek
    5. Mexican

I do have an italian boyfriend and to be honest I am okay with it. Not really a pasta person but I do eat the fish and meat dinners.

Often going out I do order the "curious" dish or the dish that an ordinary would not order. I love trying new things. German though is my favorite, I grew up on it and although some of the dishes are a fusion of italian it is my favorite. Ein Meter Bratwerst or Jager Schnizzel is mm mmm mmm Good!

I do love Curry too. I crave indian food all the time. I cannot cook it though....

12. minstrel

I've never made chicken and dumplings. Do you guys have any good recipes for it?

13. GingerCoffee

Ummmm, filet mignon, garlic powder, salt and pepper, broiled 5 minutes/4 minutes each side respectively because I never preheat the broiler. Oven Reds, out of the package, baked first while I played with the dogs in the backyard because I don't have time to walk them today. (I'll make up for it, they need baths tonight.)

Didn't get the cornedbeef into the crock pot yesterday, QFC was sold out. But now that I have the urge I'll get one next time.

I have asparagus, but it seemed like too much work so I'll steam it and add butter for lunch tomorrow or for a late night snack if I get hungry later.

14. MainerMikeBrown

I went out to eat at a fancy restaurant for Easter with my family. It was good tasting food, but my prime rib was only luke-warm. I sent it back and it took them a while to bring back my meal. It was awkward waiting for my food to be brought back by the waitress while the rest of my family continued eating. So it was a little annoying. But it was better than eating the meat since it wasn't warm enough.

But still, overall it was a good meal.

15. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Just ordered a bottle of rennet. Can't wait to cook up my first batch of cheese!

16. minstrel

Just found out my local butcher shop makes GREAT bratwurst! I've been having some wonderful bratwurst hot dogs with a delicious grainy Bavarian beer mustard. Yum!

I'm roasting chicken tonight in anticipation of using the leftovers to make a nice big batch of chicken gumbo, which is one of my favorite meals.

17. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

I found a nice recipe for salmon fillet. It's very easy to make and tastes amazing. You basically cover the salmon with a thin layer of mustard, sprinkle salt and pepper, then top it off with breadcrumbs (I used crushed cornflakes). Drizzle with butter, then cover and throw it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes per pound.

18. MainerMikeBrown

Over the last year or so I've come to like many kinds of frozen pizza out of a box just as much as I like take-out pizza from a restaurant.

19. Nee

Nee Member

Last week I made 3 gallons of mole sauce which took 4 days to cook down. I made slow cooked pulled pork tacos for 15, and mole enchiladas (casserole style) for 10, BBQ'd Tri-tip with mole sauce on the side for 8, and on Tuesday, I'm mixing what little mole sauce I have left into my marinara sauce and making lasagna for 8. So for the just under 200 bucks I spent to make all that, I made 400 profit.

And I'll still have 24 ounces of sauce for myself :)

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Mmmmmm....... Mole. :)

*Homer Simpson donut drool face*

21. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Personally I love cooking, to a degree (no pun intended). I usually try things that sound simple enough to do with what I have at home, but different enough that whatever comes out is a relatively new flavor. I especially like trying French and Italian cuisine because the recipes are so unique compared with what I'm used to at home.

I think I might have been one of the best cooks in my whole building, while I was at college this year. If not, I certainly cooked the most. I love trying new things and experimenting with different flavors. Cooking for me is a fulfilling form of creativity that I get to enjoy and share. I cooked chicken, fish, pasta, steak, quiche, vegetable dishes-- basically anything online that interested me. I ended up having half a kitchen of cookware! (Okay maybe not, but for a college student 3 pans, 2 pots, steak knives,a paring knife, measuring cups, mixing bowls, tupperware, spatulas, and so on is a pretty good start.)

Does anyone have any recommendations on something fun to make while I'm here at home. I know I want to try making a pizza! :)

22. Nee

Nee Member

Well these days making pizza is pretty easy--nearly every store has there own little bakery and deli so they all make there own pizza dough as well. Sure it's not the best but it's better than that frozen stuff.

I just press it out on to a baking sheet (making it as flat and even as I can) then pour out a little ranch dressing--not to much! then layer some sliced tomato and defrosted and squeezed spinach, some toasted pine nuts, a little parmigiano cheese, some red bell pepper or jalapeno, a bit of sliced black olives. Then a layer of sliced mozzarella, the a layer of way too much pepperoni. Bake at 450 'till it makes you crazy with desire.

23. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

I know what you mean on that. I plan on finding a recipe where I can make the dough from scratch. I had to do that for a quiche I made and for a french sugar pie I made, and the whole experience was just more fun with that added step. I may fail a couple of times but I thing that's just a part of the experience.

As for the recipe, That sounds pretty good to me. Although I'm not too much of a ranch fan >_< But thanks for the tips :D

24. Cogito

Your choice of flour can make a big difference. Try an all-purpose flour rather than a bread flour for a more relaxed dough (lower gluten). There are many, many recipes on the Internet for pizza dough, not to mention many excellent pizza books. I like to use a high temperature oven for baking, and a pizza stone. However,a pizza pan may work better for very thin crusts, so you needn't worry about tearing the crust as you put the pizza in the oven or remove it. At 550F, my pizzas bake in about nine minutes.

I always stretch dough, never roll it or press it.

25. Nee

Nee Member

Making your own dough is not hard: just takes time (and practice ) :D

I lived across the canyon from Hidden Valley Ranch for a few years so...

And I left out that you mix-in a hand full of finely chopped basil into the ranch--but I've done it with blue cheese dressing as well.