The future of mobile communication?

Discussion in 'Research' started by OurJud, Oct 23, 2017.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I can't imagine I'd ever be prepared to test this out, but you make a very valid point and I can easily see why this would be so. I've never looked at it like this before, but you're right - it's precisely because editing on a computer is so easy that some of us obsess over it prematurely.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  2. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

I can see your point. The thing that puts me off that is that writing (typing, anyway) is also a part of my day job, and there is a very real and tangible advantage to being able to get my thoughts onto the screen asap: there's a decent chance that I'll forget what I was going to say or lose my train of thought entirely if I don't pound it out immediately.

I forget wtf we were actually talking about... Phones? I like rotaries.

OurJud likes this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I can't remember the last time I actually talked on a phone when it wasn't for work. It's been a while and it was probably with my grandparents. Pretty much everyone I know just texts or uses some kind of messenger app so we can just use our mobiles over WiFi without actually having to buy into a plan.

4. OurJud

I so wish there was still a market for phones like this (size wise, I mean). A phone of this size, but with today's functions, performance and capabilities would suit me down to the ground.

Screenshot-2017-10-24 LG-Mini-Preview-Design-03 jpg (JPEG Image, 800 × 600 pixels).png

5. OurJud

The phone companies must be fuming over the ever-growing availability of free WiFi. I'm sure they're all busy cooking up some devious plan.

6. The Dapper Hooligan

You can actually get really tiny Android phones, you just have to hunt around for them on places like Ebay and junk.

[​IMG]

7. OurJud

True, but they're crap. The ability to cram a top-end smartphone into a small case is there, but the market isn't. This leaves the lesser manufacturers catering for a shrinking niche market. The result - small but vastly inferior devises.

8. The Dapper Hooligan

I would still love to see a mobile with a built in projector keyboard, or maybe a smart watch you could use as a phone without having to have a phone to pair it to.

9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sure it will wind up as a surgical implant and a brand logo branded in your ass.
    Why carry a tracking device when you can be a tracking device, and have zero
    privacy?

I can see it now, people lining up to get the iPhone 20 put in their head and take
    the Apple logo stamped in their flesh. Just to do it again next year.

LazyBear likes this.
  10. OurJud

One advancement I feel sure we'll get in the near future is auto-charging phones, where the charge is received from a global signal of some sort. When the battery power drops below, let's say 10%, the charging kicks in and takes place in the background without the user even knowing when it's happening. Phones will no longer have the need for a charge indicator on the screen and users will effectively have smartphones that never run flat or need charging (in the manual sense).

11. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

Before I start, sorry I haven't replied much - I've been on holiday in Wales for the last week.

I must say I do use the computer more than I use a typewriter, and, quite frankly, it gets on my nerves that I can't use the typewriter. However, my first memories of using a typewriter, when I was around six years old, was when my mum brought down her typewriter and allowed me to use it to write a few sentences. Since then, the typewriter needs a new ribbon (no one sells them anymore) and I haven't been able to find a shop that sells one. That is why it has been a long while since I have used a typewriter. Alongside this, I'm pretty old-fashioned; anything old is welcome in my house

Then again, if I could find a ribbon - that would be my most used piece of equipment over anything else. Responding to the point of SPAG and errors when using the typewriter - I think it develops patience in a person - which is something I don't see with most of my generation, which is rather unfortunate. A typewriter, in my opinion, really adds a new meaning to the phrase: 'Patience is a virtue...'

12. OurJud

I was about to ask why you simply don't buy a new typewriter, as the things are still made, but then I looked up the price. Staggering :eek:

13. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

The big changes in the comming 20 years will be hardware support for deep learning which is built closer to how the human brain works and will allow phones to handle human tasks like telling the difference between a dog and a cat with 99% certainty for whetever uses that will be discovered. An AI does not have to be on a human level to be disturbing, just smart enough to make it look like a psychopath has edited your family movies. The gaming industry had the same problem with facial animations a few years ago because having realistic shapes and light without the proper expressions would scare people.

14. The Dapper Hooligan

https://www.zentesi.com/collections/sub-typewriter-ribbons

From the UK, too. I just got some from them a few weeks ago and they work great.

15. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You can re-ink a typewriter ribbon. In The Russia House, the in-house lawyer for MI-6 has a typewriter ribbon that has been re-inked and typed over almost to shreds. That way, if it gets stolen, it will be impossible for the Russians to read what's been typed upon it at any particular runthrough (a real problem in the past, especially with Daisy-wheel typewriters that actually transferred a discrete section of ink to the paper. Everything had to go in the burn bag.)

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Re-ink-a-Typewriter-Ribbon/

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

I found my smartphone too small to operate easily, and bought the then-new-in-the-US Galaxy Note. People would comment on how enormous it was, and the industry coined terms like "phablet". I pointed out to people that it was the same size in my hands as my wife's (regular) phone was in hers.

Now the new (regular) phones are about that big. The fashion swings one way and then the other.

17. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

Thanks for that, I hope it'll help with my media for writing.

Yes, you can - but the ribbon is a tad too old and fragile for that - I'm rather worried that it may just dissolve if I place it in ink. I'll give it a go, before I have a look at the first option.

Iain Aschendale likes this.