The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It's worth it for the freaking materials bag alone. Unlimited space.

8Bit Bob likes this.
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

About 2 1/2 hours into God of War. Yeah...it's very good. I recommend it.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  3. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

That's what everyone says. I think I'mma get it... :whistle:

Steerpike likes this.
  4. Osprey

Osprey Member

I just cannot get into Zelda BotW. I get that it is a big, totally open world, but it feels empty; I never feel like my exploration is sufficiently rewarded. Not really interested in collecting Korok seeds. I miss having 7 to 9 big setpiece dungeons like in previous Zelda games, and the puzzle shrines are a poor substitute. Also I don't really care for the combat. Horizon is still my GOTY 2017. Did not expect that, since previous Zelda games - particularly LttP and Ocarina - are among my favorite games of all time.

Recently played through Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Thought it was pretty good. The action is decent, not nearly as good as something like Doom 2016 but fairly satisfying, and the story is hilarious.

Now hacking my way through Dark Souls III, currently stuck on Dancer of the Boreal Valley. I like it a lot, not quite as much as Bloodborne but still really good. I am basically a novice at this series/genre.

Also I'm about 4 hours into God of War. Too early for a final verdict but I'm really enjoying it so far. The combat feels good - albeit totally different from the previous games - and I like the way the story is presented. And obviously it looks beautiful but that was expected.

Also been playing a ton of little indies on Switch, the best of which - by far - is Steamworld Dig 2. Seriously one of my favorite games of 2017. If you have any affection for oldschool 2D platform/exploration games I highly recommend checking it out.

5. saxonslav

saxonslav Member

Any Mount and Blade players in here? I just got off a Viking Conquest game that really shattered me when I took quite a strong loss and realised my only save was a whole 300 days back. Wew.

Actually, post strategy in general, I'm waiting for Age of Empires 2 to come on sale.

Magus and Komposten like this.
  6. Magus

Magus Banned

I've wasted hundreds of hours playing Mount and Blade, and Viking Conquest had me locked away for months immersed in a pattern of watching History's Vikings and then playing VC. Mount and Blade is the type of game where you can roleplay in your head and make it 100x better. Just playing it for the game play would only have kept me there for a few hours.

Out here I'm a mere geologist...But in here I am Jorvin, leader of the Swadian Rebellion and rightful heir to the Kingdom of Swadia.

saxonslav likes this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :whistle:
    Piss and Boss Level.jpg

8. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

For those who like their FPS in the old, hectic arcade style. Sadly I'm not one of them, otherwise I'd be looking forward to this. Expected 2019.

8Bit Bob likes this.
  9. 8Bit Bob

I really hope Bethesda announces TES VI this E3. Like, really.

izzybot likes this.
  10. OurJud

TES?

8Bit Bob and John-Wayne like this.
  11. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

The Elder Scrolls.

@8Bit Bob I'm hoping VI is set in Valenwood or Elsweyr, but I heard a rumor it might be Black Marsh. Any news would be great, though, eh?

8Bit Bob, OurJud and John-Wayne like this.
  12. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Anyone of those are good, if it's Black Marsh, that's my homeland, since my primary Character is always an Argonian. :) secondary is a Breton.

13. John-Wayne

This is in need true... so You and I, we need two more men.

Also, how have i never posted here before?

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. izzybot

Bosmer through and through, hence my preference for Valenwood :D

John-Wayne likes this.
  15. John-Wayne

Gotcha, either way I would like to take it to those bigoted High Elves. They have it coming to them.

16. izzybot

On this we can agree.

John-Wayne likes this.
  17. John-Wayne

Oh, also on a side note, for Skyrim on the Switch, I decided to to go with Bosmer so I could use the Champion gear, I named him Lynkaris. (Well you can use the Champion gear anyways, I just meant I could have Link in Skyrim, I even wrote a back story as to how this happened. :p )

izzybot likes this.
  18. 8Bit Bob

I'm hoping Elsweyr, since I mainly play a Khajiit, and having it set in a land with deserts a tropic forests sounds awesome! :D

saxonslav, izzybot and John-Wayne like this.
  19. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Picked up a used copy of Mega Man Zero Collection from GameStop. Slid the cartridge in my New 2DS (yes, it's capitalized, for some fucking reason) and started up the first title. The previous owner left a save file, but they failed to get past the second mission. People act like Dark Souls is the hardest series ever: a mind-numbingly foreboding world that consumes hours of your valuable time, drives your skull (and controller) into the dirt, and leaves only your broken spirit as compensation. They're not lying, per se, but Mega Man Zero does shit like:
    • It's (almost) impossible to kill the introductory boss without the Z-Saber, and you don't get it until he's almost killed you first.
    • You permanently fail missions when you run out of continues.
    • Enemies respawn when you leave your current section of screen and backtrack there later.
    • Bosses kill you in five or six hits, often less. Most leave predictable gaps between attacks, but until you memorize them, you'll remember how little space these old 2D platformers leave for you to hide during battles.
    • Crosshair traps trigger alarms and cause nearby mission-critical doors to close, leading to failure unless you're fast enough to outrun the closing animation. Hope you brought some continues.
    • You spend hours fighting one particular boss, and when you finally succeed, the ceiling collapses, crushing Zero's brittle frame before you realize you can use his Z-Saber to break down a nearby door (they don't tell you).
    • This causes you to run out of continues. But hey, what else is save scumming for?
    In conclusion, Dark Souls might look scarier than these old 2D Capcom titles, but sometimes "E for everyone" just brings the suffering to a wider age group.

Komposten likes this.
  20. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

I like Breath of the Wild, but I hate how little stamina they give you for a game with so much running and climbing. Seriously, that shit gets old fast. I love how they added a jump button and let you climb cliffs, but imagine if you were playing Super Mario Galaxy or any other platformer and you fell off the side of a mountain because you ran out of wind so quickly.

I know you can upgrade your stamina wheel through shrines, but it takes four of them, and the more you invest into running/jumping/sprinting duration, the longer it takes to get enough hearts to pull the Master Sword. At that point I wish they'd just use experience points like full action RPGs instead of slowly tossing RPG elements in without taking the plunge.

Since the Master Sword is the game's only unbreakable weapon, you face a difficult choice between "run reasonably well" and "weapon that doesn't shatter every two minutes". I know they give you enough swords/spears/bows/boomerangs to keep you reasonably effective, but I can't get over my sense of disgust at watching two-handed steel warhammers break after a more two or three battles. It feels like Mario where you lose Fire Flowers and other tools almost as fast as you acquire them. I still think it's a good game overall, but like Skyward Sword's fetch quest train and Wind Waker's cumbersome sailing, it introduces some noticeable flaws alongside the many effective design choices.

21. saxonslav

saxonslav Member

Oblivion was supposed to be set in a Cyrodiilic jungle, since that's the established lore. I doubt Elsweyr would have any better luck- not that I want to be pessimistic, I just don't think Bethesda's executives respect their audience enough to give them that kind of dedicated experience.

8Bit Bob likes this.
  22. OurJud

Not much to see yet, but I'm quite excited by this. Although I have a nasty feeling it's going to be aimed at the online fraternity :(

I'm also wondering how I missed Fallout 5 to 75.

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  23. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Been playing God of War recently, which is a bit weird for me, as I seldom get into video games in the way I'm into this one. I never played the other ones, but this one is fantastic, though I don't really have anything to compare it to.

24. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

So did I and it seems we weren't wrong. My only consolation is that is didn't turn out to be a mobile game... at least friends who play multi-player may have something to gain but not so much for those, like myself, who would rather the company channeled their Fallout efforts into a solid single player experience with rich narrative and heavy role-playing elements. More and more I'm seeing games turned into homogenised messes, trying to be all things to all players.

If the rumours are to be believed, the best we have to look forward to from Bethesda at E3 would be RAGE 2, (unless they've been purposely yanking our chains.) If that does turn out to be the case, I'll be looking to CDPR to hit the roleplaying sweet spot with Cyberpunk.

25. OurJud

Didn't? You mean doesn't, surely?

Anyway looked into it a little more and it seems Beth are in panic mode because of these online-only rumours, and are telling single-players to stop fretting.