The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

You have a point, but that look isn't for me. Each to their own, etc.

2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Outer Worlds looks okay. It has a Borderlands aesthetic that I can't fully get over though. Beside the look, it's made by Obsidian, which means I should get it.

If anything, I'll just wait for a GoTY version or whatever the hell they call a complete edition.

Death Stranding though.... keep hearing how "Boring but great" it is. Normally, I don't give a flying cock in hell about reviews an whatnot, but at $64.00? Yeah, I need more opinions.

Here's one I saw recently,

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Just got a used Switch for reasons I'm not really sure of. I enjoy the games it came with even though I've already played the crap out of BOTW. The one thing I have a hard time with it, however, is how horribly awkward the standard controls are. The buttons are so tiny and cramped that I can't help but hit several buttons at a time. Oh, well, at least I can bring Skyrim on the plane with me.

Osprey and Kinzvlle like this.
  4. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Soooo I started Outerworlds. Why I chose a day that I wanted to be productive to start on a layered rpg? I have no idea, at least to me the graphics don`t feel as borderlandy in game as they seemed to in everything seen. It`s got a very free rpg aspect to it i`m loving, built my guy with below average strength and dexterity, very high intelligence and charm, with tech and leadership as intial skills. Safety Inspector as his background. May bite me in the ass on the first two but I thought it was interesting you could give you`rself a deficit like that. Been pumping points into tech, stealth, dialogue, leadership, and ranged. Planning to talk, hack, and sneak my way through anything I can`t shoot from a safe distance. The story is quick to immerse you, while keeping it loose and humorous.

It`s a little to tempting to just head-shot npc. Doesn`t help you never really holster you`r weapon. First npc I encountered was a wounded guard who was gonna report my ship. So I talked him into giving my his gun so I could take care of the nearby marauders. Then shot him in the head. Found more guards later, talked them into rushing the maurders for me, stood back as they did. All the guard npcs died expect one who was walking towards my illegally parked ship and got a bullet to the brain. Restarted a few times just from going ham in town shooting people up. Hell I know you can get the vicar on you`r ship so I went back to get him. Still couldn`t recruit him, so for shits and giggles....I shot him....ran out of the church thinking i`d get mobbed and killed to restart. Manged to run past everybody back to my ship, even headshoting the grave digger on the way out for kicks.

Thats my current save. Botched a few quests though. I like the idea that you can botch quests I do....but I can see it getting anoying to. Lots of things feel like other big rpgs. The guards around the town our pretty much just like Skyrim guards. Companions work kinda like they do in Bioware games story wise. They give you there opions on big choices, and havent seen it yet but i`ve heard choices you make can effect them in differnet ways.

Very very very much feels like Firefly. I love it.

Got my ship in the air and parked at the next dock. Still want to get through my list of "smaller" games before going to ham though because....this could be a timesink.

Osprey, Moon and The Dapper Hooligan like this.
  5. Kinzvlle

So remember how I said I was taking a break from the Outer Worlds....no. This games to addictive....eating up my life....it`s space Skyrim. What really sucked me in is just the twist and unexpected turn the plots been taking. I ended up quickly coming into contact with the option to betray our mentor figure/main plot guy. I took it just because I was so curious of how that would play out and it`s interesting. Hard to justify role play wise and my one companion keeps calling me out but hey.

Edit: Ok i`m just gonna have to get this out of my system, and finish at least this first play through. Wherever it takes me.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Got The Sinking City for Halloween. TBH, this game is not for everyone and it's combat is janky as all hell. It just happened to be everything I was looking for, a honest detective game with moral choices set in a Lovecraftian open world. I'm not even sure I could recommend it. It reminds me of those old NES games that feel like they were trying to be something far greater than they could possibly accomplish. But, the atmosphere, the way the game treats you, gives you just enough for the illusion to work. Sometimes if you stop and think about the game instead of just brain-dead play it? Well sometimes that pays off and makes you feel smart.

-SIN

7. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

"Played" Death Stranding at my friends house for around thirty minutes. Would rather mow the lawn with my teeth. Looks pretty, I'll give it that. But damn, talk about tedium. 64 dollars for that? No thanks.

8. OurJud

I picked up a PS4 game today called Kholat (with a backward K) based on 'The Dyatlov Pass Incident'. My expectations weren't high (a game I've never heard of, from a developer I've never heard of, with a price ticket of £12) but I must say I'm very impressed with the graphics and suitably intrigued by the gameplay, so much so that I only played for about 10 minutes before deciding it would be better to explore the world fully after dark (what with the cold snowy setting and all that).

It's refreshingly free of any HUD / clues / hints / button prompts, but I suspect that's because I haven't unlocked things like the flashlight, compass, and map. I hope button prompts remain absent even when I've found those things because I find it incredibly annoying when "Press X to open" pops up on the screen every time you step up to a door. There's no jump option, which is odd, as I'm not able to access some areas because of fences and walls (even though they're low enough to easily climb/jump over).

Looking forward to getting stuck into this after dark.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  9. OurJud

Just proves first impression mean nowt. Once I'd got my teeth into this I quickly realised it was an empty game. It only saves when you reach a camp, and with a horribly slow walking mechanic this can take ages. 'Spirits' appear without warning and kill you immediately, throwing you right back to your last camp. There's absolutely no interaction with the environment or with other characters.

It's going back today and I shall use my two-day return policy to trade it in for Red Dead Redemption 2.

10. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Been taking a break from Sinking City to play a game my sister lent me. Fantasy Life? It's a 3DS game and so far...yeah, I'm digging it. Very Animal Crossing meets Atelier. I'm not mad at it.

-SIN

11. Kinzvlle

Still stuck on Outer Worlds. The high amount of freedom it gives you make each run unique which makes it addicting. Finished my first run as a low strength and dex guy high in intelligence, leadership, and speech skills. Doing a second one with the opposite choices as someone with high strength, dex, and charm (had to have a third one), and low everything else. Sadly you get a penalty for putting things that low. Didn`t really feel the effects of any last go because I mostly talked, and hacked my way around most conflict. Here my guy can`t really do that. I am enjoying the second run though, already got two of the crew I ....acadently...killed last time around. The special dumb dialogue options are great.

They have a dumb ending to that I`m aiming for. Might reload after it though and do the proper end. If only to see my epilogue slides. Role play wise the dumb endings gonna be cannon though.

Third play-though i`ll try for more balance both in the build and in the options to bring factions together.

12. The Dapper Hooligan

I just watched a guy finish a run of that in just over 12 minutes.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  13. Kinzvlle

Yeah the main story line in it is pretty short. Was he doing side stuff or just core story?

14. OurJud

Red Dead Redemption 2 - brilliant and frustrating in equal measures.

Night Herald likes this.
  15. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

The weirdest thing happened the other day. My NES and SNES classic somehow booted with TMNT: Turtles In Time, Chrono Trigger, FFII, Demon's Crest, Harvest Moon, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Secret of Evermore, Bard's Tale, Castlevania Dracula X, Castlevania III, Conquest of the Crystal Palace, A Boy and His Blob, DuckTales, Gargoyle's Quest II, Life Force, Shadowrun, Solomon'sKey, Super Pitfall, Crystalis and most importantly of all...an English translation of "Sweet Home" all loaded onto the Kernel.

Sometimes you get lucky, I guess? Dunno how that happened, but I'm very happy.
    And I think I'm good for a while now. A long while...

-SIN

Kinzvlle likes this.
  16. OurJud

@OmniTense - sounds like you must’ve installed one of those chipped multi-game cassettes at some point.

OmniTense likes this.
  17. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

That doesn't make me sound like a very scrupulous person. O.0 I'm not the sort of person who would download a car, if I could, surely? Besides, no need for those chipped carts with a SNES/NES classic mini. It's already an emulator. lol ^^ Just need a rom.

-SIN

OurJud likes this.
  18. Kinzvlle

Sooooooooo one thing about the super dumb run....all the penalty's fuck you up even on the lowest setting. The super smart run had penalties to direct combat was a shit show but I had speech checks, could hack, sneak, pick locks, and etc. Manged to avoid that....dumb dumb can`t do that. It`s not even that hes weak or the combats hard, I picked up a grenade launcher and it picks things off easy but the guys anemic. Health barely regenerate`s at all. Get shot once and my health drops far to much.

I`m an anemic idiot.

Lots of interesting things coming up on the new sale. It`s ending soon...I should buy something...already have to many games.

19. OurJud

Sorry, I’ve always been a Sony man. Bit ignorant to the workings of the lesser cons... sorry, I mean Nintendo consoles ;)

20. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Oh I am not a Nintendo fan as much as I am a Sony fan. Much more of a Sony fan. Even have a PS4 pro with PSVR. But I do occasionally suffer from lapses of judgement and bouts of nostalgia.

-SIN

OurJud likes this.
  21. The Dapper Hooligan

22. OurJud

Oh, I am not envious in the slightest! :D

Kinzvlle and OmniTense like this.
  23. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Don't be too envious. I've had it for one year now and I have three games for it...four counting the No Man's Sky update, I suppose. That said, the ones I have are pretty damn fun. I bought it, and believe it or not, haven't had a chance to afford any games in the PSVR catalog to go with it. ;_;

-SIN

24. The Dapper Hooligan

I got No Man's Sky for PC when it went on sale a couple of years ago. I didn't know much about it, but it seemed interesting and I actually really enjoyed it. Everything they've added to it after just made it better. I don't get why there was so much hate around it to start.

OmniTense likes this.
  25. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Mostly because of broken promises.