The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

I'm with you on this. Then again, I find a lot of comfort in repetitive tasks, especially concerning hunting and gathering. I find it very relaxing. The VR mode isn't entirely comfortable for various reasons, but I never regretted getting the game at all and will definitely play it again in the future.

-SIN

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  2. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I was going to say that. I think one of the biggest gripes (although I’ve not played it so may be making assumptions) was this promise of having an ‘infinite number of planets to explore’ where in fact it’s just the same planet with different terrains.

Kinzvlle and OmniTense like this.
  4. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

There is a limited amount of features, resources, ruins, outposts, flora and fauna for planets. But occasionally you happen across some very strange and rare things. I remember at least two planets, one made of floating crystal storms and one full of very ominous black onyx/iron statues. The planets, themselves had very little in them, but I couldn't help thinking there were some secrets or lore that I missed out on. Named one of the planets, think the one with the statues, Hellraiser. Couldn't be bothered to explore them more thoroughly, as I was trying to afford/save up for my first frigate ship.

-SIN

Kinzvlle and OurJud like this.
  5. OurJud

Anyone playing/played DayZ on the PS4?

I've wanted this game ever since I saw the Arma mods a few years ago. For anyone unfamiliar (and interested) Arma was/is a military simulation game for PC whose engine was later used as a skeleton by modders to create a post-apocalyptic zombie game. That has since become a stand-alone game in itself. PC gamers were adamant DayZ would never come to console, but here we are.

From all accounts it's a bit of a mess (especially considering the £40 price tag) even on PC, with graphics you'd have questioned even on last gen consoles, but it does so many things in a way other games of its ilk don't, and I desperately want to play it.

Two things are putting me off, though: the price tag and the fact it's an online game only (requiring a PlayStation + subscription). I don't do online gaming as a rule, so I'm reluctant to fork out for a PS+ sub on top of the game price, for just one game. However, if the game is as good as I'm imagining it in my head I could be tempted.

6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Also the promise of MMO-scale multiplayer at launch. That you would be able to explore together with your friends, encounter other people, etc.
    (Some of which has been added with later patches, admittedly.)

Kinzvlle likes this.
  7. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Not much of a gamer but I just finished episode 2 of The Lion's Song, a very literary point and click/visual novel set in Vienna during the 20th Century. Each episode is about the struggles of a musician, artist and a mathematician. Google image the game. Nice art style.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  8. OurJud

Bit the bullet today and bought DayZ. It's known to go on sale fairly regularly so I should have waited, but impatience got the better of me, and who knows how long I may have been waiting (Black Friday's been and gone after all... hasn't it?).

Anyway I'm liking it very much. It's very different to the generic, first-person clones that litter the market, but in a very good way.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Kinzvlle likes this.
  9. OurJud

^ I’m an idiot ^

I’ve no idea how I came to this conclusion, but I’d somehow convinced myself this game was only available digitally, so I dropped £40 and downloaded it through the PlayStation Store. I’ve now discovered you can buy it in disc form, and that places like Game and Argos sell it for as little as £17 :mad:

10. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Since sickness came and smashed me over the head I'll be half-playing some games again while eating soup. Drinking soup.....? ..... Eating soup....? .....ehhhhhh.

Might try the newest Spiderman. Nephew gave it to me and said its awesome, so I'll see. Definitely going to give my brand new gaming rig a test drive with Skyrim. Been too long since I played Murder Hobo Adventures: Screaming magician. :p

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I’ll put it in my queue on my GameFly :3 Sounds interesting.

I’ve been meaning to check out the new Terminator game. From what I’ve seen in the videos, it has a quasi-Call of Duty vibe to it in terms of controls.

OurJud likes this.
  12. OurJud

I’m absolutely loving it. It’s brutal (I died of hypothermia/exhaustion yesterday). The graphics aren’t brilliant but it doesn’t seem to matter. No other open world game has given me a sense of being alone in a post-apocalyptic wilderness like this one does. Weapons, ammo and food are like gold dust, and I love the genuine need to rest and make fires to stay warm. Proper survival.

Bear in mind if you’re going to be buying it for PC you’ll need a beast of a rig to run it.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  13. Link the Writer

Holy Hell, it's THAT detailed?! :eek: Like you can actually die of hypothermia, exhaustion, and hunger?!

14. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

I'm horribly addicted to fallout shelter!! I probably spent more money than any reasonable person should have, LOL! About 20 to $30 per sale

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Kinzvlle likes this.
  15. Link the Writer

I was the same about Total War for a while. :p My God, I blew away weekends just sitting at my computer in my PJs doing nothing but Total War.

Rockatansky likes this.
  16. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

I don't seem to have the patience for long-term games, though I did just get Civ 6 for switch. Haven't started yet though

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  17. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

During this last sale Steam held I got my mitts on Greedfall. I had kept a eye on it when it came out but the price new scared me off. It took it a while to suck me fully, the intrigue is there from the start but the real grasping you by your face part of the story takes a bit to get going. It gets compared a lot to Dragon Age namely Inqustoin and Origins which is very fair. Not quire all the bells and whistles, but triple AAA game vs a double a. This has been the year for double a though. Greedfall getting so much acclaim then Outerworlds bursting onto the scene. Spider`s is actually an interesting studio there other games while not always great have had some interesting ideas. It`s nice to see them have a success. Vampyr wasn`t this year but another double a with pretty good circuital acclaim. Then you have the triple a games having there troubles with Biowares Andromeda flop and Fallout shooting itself in the foot.

The studios play this right could see a status quo shake up coming in the next few years. Pool some of the resources from these successes together.

But back to Greedfall. Like I said it`s a double a it`s not perfect. Combats hard to understand, companions are great but limited,could do with more direct dialogue choices, the way certain quests lock in when they really don`t need to can get annoying, and a few other gripes. Over all though I quite like it and some of those come down to resources and time like the companions and dialogue. I`m having quite fun with it, it`s is a good old fashioned style RPG.

18. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I bought Greedfall a few months ago for 60$.
    Played a few hours... It's so meh :(
    I just can't get into it. I'm just walking around, killing things, and barely understanding wtf is going on around me or to my progression.

19. Lilith Fairen

Lilith Fairen Member

Doesn't it suck that the success of games has nothing to do with how much your vocal minority whines about games they can't stand the success of?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  20. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Quae?

21. OurJud

Yup! It's that detailed. No magic regeneration/healing in this game. If you get attacked (by human/infected/animal) and are bleeding, you'll bleed out and die if you don't find somewhere safe to bandage your wounds... Oh, and you have to craft those bandages from rags... providing you can find a knife or axe to cut them up with, that is.

22. Brosephus

Brosephus Member

Ayy, It's been a while since I've posted anything on here. I've got an interesting question for you all.

I've been playing Skyrim recently and thinking about ways to improve the story of the main quest in way similar to this blog series about fixing the main quest of Fallout 3. Bethesda has proven time and time again that their current team don't know how to write stories, especially with the release of Fallout 4.

For those of you who finished Skyrim's main quest, what is the closest thing it has to a coherent thematic message?

23. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

My love for free to play source games has led me back to Pirates Vikings and Knights II. I'm sorry I ever deleted this game. Such perfection :supercry:

Rockatansky likes this.
  24. Lilith Fairen

Lilith Fairen Member

They must not know how to write stories, given the massive success of their games.

And if you're going off of Shamus Young, you're wasting your time—he's well-known to flat-out lie about the games he bashes just to pander to whiny gamers.

Brosephus likes this.
  25. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Bethesda makes good stories. That's the main driving factor behind their older releases.
    These days, AAA game-making is less about style and quality and more about production. So, it's not surprising that certain aspects were cut back.

Brosephus likes this.