The generic plot syndrome

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheClintHennesy, Jul 27, 2015.

1. searsgoth

searsgoth New Member

I agree that the structure of a story should not determine its quality. While there are certain things I'd love to see less of or even forget about entirely when it comes to fiction I think it's all about what you do with it. Besides it's your own story! It's your brainchild! If it's what you wanna write then go for it! Also: anything that's got to do with dogs is a sure hit so please don't give up on this :)

2. VioletKnight

VioletKnight New Member

Write what you want, but remember: the Simpsons already did it.

Besides people may say they want something new and not told before, but they keep seeing the same movies that retread the same story lines. They want to play it safe as much as the big studios (although the studios have a stake in it)

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

What an EXCELLENT statement. That's worth remembering. And it's so true.

One of the dangers I sense in lots of these complicated, creative 'plots' that writers on the forum bring here to discuss is this lack of a sense of journey. By journey, I mean the time they spend getting from the start of the book to the end of it. Some new writers get so focused on the purpose of the journey that they gloss over what it's like to actually take that journey.

I can think of no better example to follow (for Fantasy readers) than Lord of the Rings. The journey is immense. All the feelings the ordinary, believable characters experience along the way, the places they visit, the people and creatures they meet and interact with, the lives of others that get drawn into the story, the fears and hopes the characters carry with them, and the sometimes unexpected repercussions of what they are left with at the end of it. This is what makes that book so memorable.

Frodo is a young Hobbit who inherits a magic ring from his uncle Bilbo. Frodo discovers he must destroy this ring to save Middle Earth from evil. He is told by a great Wizard and a Council of all races of Middle Earth to travel to a mountain that's filled with fire in order to throw the ring into it and destroy it. All the forces of evil are set on his trail to stop him, while all the forces of good, including a Wizard and a King-in-Waiting are set to help him. After many adventures and a few twists, he manages to destroy the ring. He becomes a hero, and Middle Earth is saved.

Sounds generic when put like that, doesn't it? (And I didn't even mention Elves and Orcs!)

No, it's the journey, the personal up-close details of the journey and its effect on the characters that makes a book something a reader can't put down, and won't ever forget. Don't be afraid to start slowly, with a single character and build the big picture gradually. Tolkien did that, and it worked a treat.