1. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

The goodreads author who attacked revewers and got himself banned

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tea@3, Jul 22, 2019.

Remember this? I can't find that old thread. The guy attacked a bunch of users who had given him one star, and it led to him being banned from goodreads. It was hilarious. I think it happened around 2012, maybe.

If you remember how to find this thread please help. Thanks.

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I think this is it: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/how-not-to-handle-rejection.147508/

Tea@3 likes this.
  3. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

@Iain Aschendale Hey Iain ....no that's not the one. This guy berated users who gave one star on his goodreads profile. But thanks for trying!

4. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Holy christ on a unicycle. I missed that the first time round, what a dick...

Cave Troll and Tea@3 like this.
  6. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

"How not to react to feedback 101"

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Goodreads can be a toxic and cliquey place, but that isn't the way to deal with it

Around the same time there was also that dickhead who hunted a wattpad reviewer down and attacked her with a bottle...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34775814

he got 30 months in prison and predictably his book was villified everywhere a review can be posted
    https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/23208863-the-world-rose

There was also the #HaleNo thing
    https://www.pajiba.com/miscellaneous/author-kathleen-hale-who-stalked-goodreads-reviewer-to-release-new-essay-collection.php

So many morons so little time

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  8. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Yeah @big soft moose it's eerie because I want to laugh but at the same time it's very disturbing. I was telling a friend about this so went hunting for it to share with him. The ones you mentioned are also quite disturbing. Joys of the web 2.0 age, eh? lol

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

My restaurant gets thousands of reviews. I've never responded to any of them. Even the ones that have called me out by first and last name. Never exactly feared for my safety, but the thought has crossed my mind. I mean, everyone on there knows exactly where to find me for 60 of my waking hours, and a good portion of the negative reviewers are drunken trash-humans, so, yeah... enjoy your moment internet hero.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Alan Aspie, EFMingo and Cave Troll like this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Homer With a Shotgun :D

(Nah don't, things will go down hill rapidly from there.)
    Kinda spooky that people use your name, but I have seen yelp revs
    that call out people around here, so it is a thing. Should people do
    that sorta thing, no, but they do.

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, my name is on the menu and my picture is on the website. Doesn't get mentioned often, and most of the time it's for shit that I was never involved in. Mostly stuff like "General Manager Homer Potvin runs a shit establishment because blah blah blah." We can delete the crazy ones and almost always do. It's kind of like a crackhead screaming in the streets: nobody pays any attention because the author is clearly a crackhead screaming in the streets. But on the Internet? Who can tell who's writing the post? That's the bighest problem with social media... you can't see the person speaking.

12. big soft moose

Trip adviser's full of that sort of shit - I don't reply because it just encourages them.

My personal favourite is "my children were disappointed because the beach was larger in the morning than it was in the afternoon, this is not fair and ruined our holiday"

The same thing applies to book reviews - just ignore them, some bad reviews is a good thing so long as they don't out number the good ones, because a book with solid 5 stars this is ace type reviews can look fake

Tea@3, Rosacrvx and Cave Troll like this.