The Great Writers' Quote Thread

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by Lucas, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Member

This quote is from Jeffery Archer's book, A Prisoner of Birth. The main character is Danny Cartwright and these were the words of advice he gave to an attorney who wanted to invest some money in a project;

“I never advise friends to put money in anything, said Danny. 'It's a no-win situation - if they make a profit they forget that it was you who recommended it, and if they make a loss they never stop reminding you. My only advice would be not to gamble what you can't afford, and never to risk an amount that might cause you to lose a night's sleep.”

Good advice!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

And that was the reason for the success of so many of Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone" episodes and Roddenberry's early "Star Trek" stories. By setting the stories in some future alien world, they could illustrate the ills of our current society, with its racism, xenophobia, and intolerance. They said it was their intention to do so, in so many words.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

I met a racist once back in Maryland (1970). I tried a plea for fairness but got nowhere.
    I recently reread Anne Frank because I was writing in first and I like this quote......“I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart.” Anne Frank

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos New Member

"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life."
    Fernando Pessoa

5. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Member

This is a quote from Wilbur Smith's book titled; Rage.

'It is a strange paradox that a man gifted with too many talents can fritter them all away without developing a single one to its full'.

Infel and Iain Aschendale like this.