The Happiness thread, continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

We'll see. I've been dealing with rental leases and if you actually read them they seem to only allow you to sit in the corner twiddling your thumbs in silence waiting to pay rent again.

2. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Yes, but with condos you’re responsible for things you wouldn’t think of. Like you don’t own the section of the building. You own from the center of the wall studs in. The association is responsible for the center of the wall studs out. Figuring out who has to pay for repairs is a major PITA. If you have a patio or a terrace, you may or may not be allowed to keep plants (or anything for that matter) out there. And don’t even think of altering a common area. Ohhh they get upset about that:

3. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Congratulations! And I just signed a lease for a new apartment—and a way nicer one than I had expected to get! I was looking at one bedrooms, found one that I liked only to have it swiped before I could submit an application, and then the agent told me she had an enormous two-bedroom place available at a price I couldn't pass up. Great location, loads of room, and some furniture left from the previous tenant–I'm happier than an ant at a very messy picnic! :)

4. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Quit trying to kill my high :)

Nice! Congrats! 1-bedroom apartments in my area are so cut-throat and I gave up. Renters get 40+ applications in the first 24 hours of listing and owning a 2-bedroom condo is not much more expensive than renting a 1-bedroom (EDIT: not including the initial price tag of the down payment/closing costs, of course). One of the apartments in my current building was a decent 2-bedroom for $1,400/month. The renters raised it to $1,800 this year (in-between tenants). Real estate in general has gone up 15% in the last year. It's wild right now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    AntPoems likes this.
  5. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    Finally updated to Scrivener 3!! :)

6. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

40-13 apple cup victory for Washington State, hahaha. A good ending for a seven-year losing streak.

7. NobodySpecial

I don’t have to rake my lawn any more. It’s been so windy today, all those leaves are now my neighbor’s problem.

8. love to read

love to read Senior Member

We are getting a new bathroom. While the plumbers are working, Henry and Bilbo (the dogs) are confined to the living room (never alone, it's either with me or my Mom). Today my Mom had an appointment, so it was up to me to wait with them. Bilbo started a howling. Then one of the plumbers sugested they could come upstairs to say hello. The howling stopped and there were blissful moments of wagging tails and a lot of sniffing. Now we are back at the living room (though especially Henry would have liked to "help":bigwink:), but this kind gesture really made my day.

Xoic, B.E. Nugent and Madman like this.
  9. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    The Powerball drawing was held last night and I didn't win. So I don't have to worry about income taxes and fawning relatives and all that. And I didn't get a single digit to match -- not a one -- so I don't have to lay awake tonight wondering how different my life almost was.

Whew.

10. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    So you're the one.

Shayne likes this.
  11. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Things have generally not been great for the past couple of months, but I received a holiday care package from me Ma yesterday which really lifted my spirits. It includes homemade jam from garden strawberries (just.. omg), Finnish foods that I can't get here like karjalanpiirakka, and dark rye bread imported from Finland. And then there's the chocolates and candies - lots of high quality Fazer goods. Those are going to last me for the better part of a year. Comfort tastes of home :)

12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

are you finnish?

13. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    No, I think he's still got more to say.

14. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Ahahaha nice !

15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

lol, are you?

16. Set2Stun

Yes, second generation with citizenship, even though I can't speak Finnish. I took a couple of classes back in uni, but it's in an entirely different language tree and thus extremely difficult to learn. I've circled it in the fun diagram below !

language tree.jpeg

I just remember some words and phrases but have long since given up on it. Wish my parents would've taught me when I was a tyke, but I can understand how it might not be considered a useful skill to have in Canada.

17. Cress Albane

Cress Albane Active Member

I've just received a contract for publishing my science text in a book! Now I'll just need to sign it and send it back via e-mail. I'm both nervous and proud :D

18. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Fucking Miller time for me. December 22nd at 9:17 pm and everything Xmas related is bailed and in the barn. Shopping is done, Xmas dinner is prepped and ready to fire, all my restaurants are cleared to close for the holidays, yearly P&Ls just need the last few days of numbers, and even the dog is bathed and dressed in his stupid Xmas sweater.

Seven Crowns and love to read like this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Yep I'm also done for the xmas season, except that i'll be working for about an hour on xmas day for the xmas day swim... which is formally cancelled but apparently a large number of people plan to go ahead anyway... sigh

20. Homer Potvin

We call it the "penguin plunge" here, though it happens on New Year's Day. I'm already expecting Covid to knock all the stores out right after the holidays. RI is top of the charts again.

21. NobodySpecial

They told me I needed to play something more christmasy in the store than Texas Hippy Coalition, being we’re so close to Christmas. I played King Diamond’s No Presents For Christmas, and they told me to go back to Texas Hippy Coalition.

22. Homer Potvin

Yeah, no Xmas music. I've forbade all my restaurants from playing Xmas music two years ago. Fuck that. Anybody who gets pissed off at not hearing Xmas music is a poor investment.

23. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Happy Holidays!

24. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

Hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy the Holiday Season :blowkiss:

25. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021