The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Wait, this is the happiness thread ? I thought we were in the "forum talks bollocks" AKA in which they said what thread. Doh

(need more coffee ... Irony )

2. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

You know what the best thing that humanity has ever invented is?

Take away delivery.

Because seriously, it's fucking freezing out there and there's huge wind gusts and I am just not going out there. And yet I have still managed to acquire things with yellow bean sauce and foo yung and even a few beers and I didn't even need to talk to another human being to make this happen. I have managed to arrange a little personal Roman food orgy and I didn't even need to feel a single gust of wind. They should have sent a poet.

*devours*

Shenanigator and Iain Aschendale like this.
  3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I've always been under the impression that "take away" and "delivery" were two different things.

Take away = going to the location, but taking your food somewhere else to eat.
    Delivery = having the location bring the food to the somewhere else you plan to eat.

Has my entire life been a lie?

minstrel likes this.
  4. LostThePlot

It has, but not because of this ;)

I suppose that's an interesting question for writers to answer. Because at least in my life 'take away' means more 'food from a take away establishment' and it doesn't matter how it arrives in your face. It's just the generic word for that kind of semi-junk food.

I suspect it's because delivery wasn't actually a common thing when I was growing up. Like there literally was nothing that you could get to deliver to your house, you always had to go and pick it up. And thus it was always take away and you had no choice in the matter. And that's stuck even though now most take out places deliver. I seriously cannot believe it took me until I was 20 to have a Chinese delivered and I swear I thought that was some kind of witch craft. You want to know why take away started to become the done thing here? When Dominoes franchises started to appear. Up until that point every take away owner within ten miles of my parents house went "Deliver? No, no-one wants that."

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Took about two and a half hours to break down the cage and clean all of its bits and pieces, dry them off, and put everything back together, but my rat's home and the desk it sits on (and I write at) are thoroughly clean for the first time in a while.

[​IMG]

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    We have delivery McDonald's here. Not that I'd ever want it, the one and only salvation they have is being reasonably freshly heated, and the idea of my burger sitting in a sack in a box on the back of a scooter for ten minutes getting soggy is... nope.

But the option is there. (as is Domino's, Pizza San Tropez, Pizza La, Pizza Calibian (sic)...)

7. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Well, this is mixed happy/not happy, so let's get the bad stuff out of the way first. Friend A is hospitalized with pneumonia, friends B&C can't come because we had to move the venue from my house to my father-in-law's, and it's going to be the first Thanksgiving (observed) without mama, on account of her passing away this spring.

But as for the Happiness Thread, the turkey has been brined and dried, and is now in the new electric smoker, sitting above a pan of slice apples, onions, a bit of garlic, and a stick of butter (real butter), with about a cup of bourbon, to catch the drippings for smoked gravy. Finished the stuffing last night, and I'll do the potatoes in a few hours, then it's into insulated boxes and off to dad's house for Thanksgiving (observed) dinner!

Millamber, minstrel and matwoolf like this.
  8. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Finally got inspired to write once again, got writers fatigue from Knights of Samax, so it's good to work on another story I' e been really wanting to get to , Kristol of Ancea. (I already have a broken rough-Rough-Rough-Rough-Rough-Draft, and an idea of where i am going in the story, now just to get there)

9. Blouse

Blouse Member

;;;;

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  10. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    One of you is doped up and the other one is murdering helots....hmmm

Shenanigator and Blouse like this.
  11. LostThePlot

Don't knock it until you've tried it man ;) Murdering helots is an underrated form of therapy.

12. Blouse

Blouse Member

/:/;

13. Blouse

Blouse Member

“

14. LostThePlot

Careful man, let's not do anything drastic :p

15. Blouse

Blouse Member

!

16. LostThePlot

Well fair play to you sir. I have to carefully ration my drinking in any case, because I like it way too much. But actually give up for good? How am I supposed to cope with seeing my family?

17. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

I'm happy to be a member of a forum again. An active forum, that is.

Komposten likes this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    363 words of worldbuilding on WIP#3.

Yes, I am a fucking unfocused dilettante who has way too many irons in an underfed fire, but I've been blocked for so long on so many fronts that I'm taking any small victories I can get.

One of these stories is going to pop like a ripe zit sometime soon, I can feel it. Also, less than three weeks left til vacation, I will finish something by spring, dammit!

izzybot, Millamber and Night Herald like this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You said that like it was a bad thing ;)

20. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Sounds a lot like my "process", actually.

21. LostThePlot

Progress is progress dude. And any progress kicks the crap out of zero progress. I have a lot of days where I just can't do a fucking thing and at least I try to make myself sit and try to work, even if I only manage to get a paragraph done at least that's something I have to show for it. And paragraphs add up, you know? And sometimes I get more done. And that's good. It's hard and it sucks; on my 'cannot fucking focus' days I feel like I'm trying to push my brain through a sieve to get anything down. But progress is progress. And progress is better than no progress.

Good luck finished something by Christmas man :)

22. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

I hate math and numbers makes me feel stupid - but budgeting is strangely comforting to me!

Got the keys to the apartment today! Moving in on Friday. Can't wait. No, really. I think budgeting is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment. But things has been alright today, so here's to hope it stays that way!

I need a job (or more hours at the one I have), but I will be able to go through a few months with minimum income because of savings and such, and that is really a load off my back. I might actually be able to pull through!

Now back to job applications - because if I got too happy no one would recognize me ;)

23. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Finally getting "The Frozen Wilds" DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn (The released HZD: Complete today)

24. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

Today I got dressed and realised after that I look like a school teacher.

I'm probably going to laugh quietly to myself all day in my office, which would be fine, if my office walls weren't 50% glass windows.

So now I'm going to look like a school teacher off her rocker to all my new coworkers, which is now making the whole thing even funnier.

(If you see me post I got fired in the Unhappy Thread later tonight, y'all know why.)

25. Blouse

Blouse Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.