The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Happy Annual Reset! :) (gonna be in roughly 9.5 hrs here)

2. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

That third quote in your signature is great.

jannert likes this.
  3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Happy new year! :bigsmile:
    (I'm an hour late to the party, but still. ;))

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Pictures are required

Carly Berg likes this.
  5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

After a day of editing, I'm thinking my new short story is kind of good. This one is a little different. It's not something I've ever written about and I wasn't sure I could pull off what I wanted to do. I love it when I surprise myself by not sucking.

6. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Best New Year's present ever! Found out that my favourite blog is up and running again :)

All through December I was moping because I suspected it had been taken down as no new posts came up, but... apparently they only took a break through Dec. They have a way of making me think that no other blog/news-site manages. Never thought that I could get 'addicted' to a specific blog, but that's what happened. Don't complain though.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You're giving us that much of a recommendation and no link/blog title?!? Come on, cough it up!!!

8. Lifeline

It most likely won't appeal to you, but...
    You wanted to know :)

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Ah yes small wars ... have you looked at nononsenseselfdefense.com its website rather than a blog but there's some useful stuff on there about the philosophy of violence

10. Lifeline

Forgive me but ....
    ?? What can that possibly be?? :eek:
    Think I'll go and take a look.

ETA: been there before :)

11. big soft moose

It's about the psychology both of attackers whether muggers or terrorists and on the flip side how this manifests as body language etc

on thing that stuck with me was the concept of the 'victim interview' where by a potential attacker will start with minor intimidation to see if you flinch away from him, step into the road to avoid him etc which lets him know you're a safe target for further assault - their explanation is a lot better than that.

12. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

After ordering my textbooks for next week, I've spent most of the day trying to recreate a Blogger template by editing CSS in WordPress. It's proven much easier than I expected.

13. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

Very happy I stumbled across this character chart sheet. I'm pretty decent at getting the minute details of my characters, their idiosyncrasies and so forth but this chart really goes in depth. This next book will be a treat.

14. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Multiple reasons to be happy:

• The hole from what was left of my G-tube is finally starting to close. It actually looks a lot smaller than it did when I first discovered it.

• I’m replaying Skyrim on the 360, trying to go for a spellsword warrior this time around.

Carly Berg likes this.
  15. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

I woke up to the anxiety again (I say woke to but my insomnia started up last night but details).

I realised walking to work this morning that I hadn't listened to music for probably about a month.

So I pulled out my cell phone and just put on one of the most light hearted, good-time songs I have.

And you know what? It helped.

So I snuck my phone out of my purse, plugged in my headphones, and have since been listening to my music from one earbud while working for the past 3 hours, and the anxiety is absolutely gone while it's playing.

Still don't know what's wrong with me, but it feels really good to know familiar music is an easy solution.

Edit: I'm also on lunch drinking hot chocolate, so that's icing.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Carly Berg, minstrel and jim onion like this.
  16. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Finished moving my site from Blogger to WordPress. I have a few layout changes to make, and it still loads wrong on mobile, but it's been a good exercise in CSS structure. I'm starting another HTML class next week, and I've known I'd have to move for a while now, so it was good to get it out of the way. Next step: figure out how to attract some readers.

8Bit Bob likes this.
  17. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Uh...yeah... The minute I said I was leaving my fantasy to go do my sci-fi, it fixed up the problem I was banging my head on the metaphorical wall about.

Guess that’s to be expected. :p :write:

18. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, baby! Restaurant closing at two and daddy isn't in until four sooooooo.... SNOW DAY! Whiskey, igloos, happy dances and snow-bongs! Even managers get a break every now and then!

[​IMG]

19. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Another all-day editing session of my new short story, and I think I nailed it. I don't know if it's just the writer's high, but I think it might be the best short story I ever wrote. Yay!

20. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

Tonight I am at a Lord of the Rings themed dinner party with people I haven't seen in a decade. It's good to see people again. It's good to have friends again, especially seeing their kids and seeing they've done ok for themselves.

And, despite my lack of costume, I was presented with a horn to drink out of which is... You get a lot more drunk when you literally can't put your drink down.

Tonight is good! I haven't seen some people here since they were 14 and it's just... It's good to feel at home again.

21. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

Hmm, working on this 5th novel and I decided to approach chapters a different way. Instead of doing 3k words or more per chapter, I've decided to split the books into five acts, with each act requiring a certain amount of words. For this particular novel, I've chosen 15k per act.

Doing this seems to help with the flow of ideas. I find that I am much more detailed, I explore the plot more and I find that I am getting stuck less and less.

I just finished the outline for this novel and began writing about a day and a half ago, and I'm already close to 10k of the first act. This has never happened for me, ever. I usually tap out around 6k over the course of a three days and I'll have to take a rest to recharge.

Not with this method though, so... yeah, I'm kinda happy about that. Not to mention I haven't been getting any digestive issues so I can put my full focus on writing and not having to sit down and wait out my digestive symptoms.

Shenanigator likes this.
  22. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

It's warming up again. Yesterday morning it was supposed to have been -49°C with the windchill, this morning it's only -30°C with windchill.

23. big soft moose

Practically tropical - time to go drinking in your shirt sleeves .... question is though is it -25C with five knots of wind or -5C with 25 knots of wind ?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  24. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

-20°C with *licks finger and holds it in the air* 17km/h winds from the South East and 84% humidity.

25. big soft moose

okay you win on the fuck its cold stakes - its about -2 here, but with about a 3o knot gale... which would make it an effective -32C in the wind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.