The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

New tires are fucking awesome! And they better be since I bought sixteen of them last year. Complete sets of regular and snow tires for both the wife and I. Barring an errant nail or persnickety curb, I should be good to go for the next five years or so.

2. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

Friend of mine have wanted to get her own house by the sea for a long time, and she told me today there is a house nearby that'll be up for sale around summer. It's right next to the ocean, and close to a stable. She loves horses, and having a house close to a stable will be perfect. Really hope she can get the house, and that it's affordable for her. Fingers crossed. :)

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

4. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Today was my first payment of my Disability Allowance! :cheerleader:
    To celebrate, I took a 'victory lap' around my village. :D

5. flawed personality

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Dark Infinity

Dark Infinity Member

It's been a while. but I'm back into the swing of things.
    So here's the good, I have finalized my outline for my book I've been writing (shouldn't that have been done earlier? maybe, this is my first book I'm still learning.) If all goes according to plan it will have 20 chapters. I lined them all up rearranged a few to make sure my ideas fit the timeline of the story, and have a first draft of the prologue, epilogue, and 4 and a half chapters. Still a long way to go, but progress none the less.

Also to feed the beast some more, between DMing for a D&D group at work, and writing this book, I have way too many stories running around in my head. So to keep myself writing and getting better while writing this book, I've decided to devote some time to writing short stories as well. I got the first draft of my first one done last night. So things are good.

Haven't quite figured out where these short stories are going to go (try to publish, start a blog, submit them to magazines, etc.), but once I do figure that part out, hopefully I will have a few ready to go.

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Man, that's great! A finished draft is more than I have, and I've been doing this for... a while. Call it 15 years, just about half my life.

I've found short stories to be very good practice. It kind of teaches you to get rid of all the superfluous stuff. I don't know if you'd be interested at all, but you might want to check out the Short Story Contest right here on this very forum. At least it gives you somewhere to deposit your stories when they're done, and for me personally, it's great to have a prompt for inspiration. Forces me to operate outside my own personal box, which is always good.

I've just gotten into D&D myself, and I'm now tinkering with my own campaign. There's something about that interactive storytelling format that appeals to me. Do you happen to be an experienced DM? Any tips, any do's and don'ts you might want to pass on?

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Dark Infinity

Dark Infinity Member

I have done one of the short story contests about a year ago, I think. I've gotten a little better since then. I may have to try it again.

D&D DMing advice I have plenty. Been playing off and on both DM and player since I was a kid.

Best advice ever:
    Things will go wrong, and that's ok. The most important thing is that everyone is having a good time.

Now the long version.
    Don't be afraid to make a mistake while running a game, even Matt Mercer makes mistakes at his table. The only difference is you don't have 100K + people watching you make mistakes.
    Don't be afraid to admit to a mistake and correct it for future scenarios.

I like to describe being a DM this way: It is my job to help the players tell the story of how their characters became heroes in my world. The distinction here is 'their story', 'my world'. I control how the world (NPCs and whatnot) react to their actions. I do not control what the Players do. Let them make mistakes, let them avoid the main plot you worked so hard on, those are some of the best game nights ever. They will get back to your plot eventually.

Planning -
    Don't plan too far ahead, things may (WILL) change as the players make (BAD) choices and that's ok too.
    Have a main story arc or two, find a way to entice the players into them. But have a few side quests handy when the players feel the need to talk to some drunken sailor at the bar that you just put there to fill the space, but the players are convinced he's the key to the next step in the story... it happens...

I would suggest watching a little bit of Critical Role if you haven't, but don't try to be Critical Role, just understand the possibilities, and be open to trying new things here and there.
    Also Matt Mercer has a series of DM advice video's on YouTube. They are decent.

If you really want to explore all the options also check out Matt Colville for a different flavor of DMing.

That should be enough for now. If you need more advice come hunt me down. and HAVE FUN!!!

9. Night Herald

Thanks! I've had Critical Role recommended to me quite insistently, and Matt Mercer is invoked with some frequency. It's on my list, haven't gotten to it, but I've seen everything of what there is to see from Acquisitions Incorporated with the redoubtable Chris Perkins at the helm, and the likes of Jerry Holkins and Pat Rothfuss at the table. How could I not? That's what got me into this mess in the first place; and as luck would have it, friends of mine were starting out at about the same time. Your advice is solid; it matches my personal philosophies, while touching on some stuff I hadn't considered. I'll be sure to hit you up if there's anything, thanks.

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Weirdboy.jpg

11. Night Herald

You know an Ork is a real piece of work when they get singled out as "weird" in that culture.

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. flawed personality

My groups are back again after the holiday break! Mother's group next Wednesday, and the walking group is back on the 24th! :D :cheerleader:

13. Cave Troll

Saw this had a chuckle, figured I would share it. :supergrin:
    Stephen Hawking Dick Joke.jpg

14. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Welp... doing my first Let's play on one of my Youtube Channels. :) . I wanted to play Fallout 1, thought heck i'll record it and upload it worse goes to worst, I can at least watched it. Also make notes for a future Fanfic. :p .

Anyways, uploaded 3 vids so far, with 9 vids total. Though of course I am enjoying replaying the Legendary Fallout 1. though 2 is still my favorite. :)

LoaDyron and Cave Troll like this.
  15. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I find it hard to make a video, unless something blows up! :D

John-Wayne and Cave Troll like this.
  16. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Long time ago I did a let's play of the Van Buren tech demo. That game would have been amazing.

John-Wayne and Cave Troll like this.
  17. John-Wayne

Aw man, that sounds cool to watch. Yeah, True Fallout died with Van Buren. :( . New Vegas was a nice revival.

But we can still enjoy Bethout... or Oblivion with Guns. :p

18. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I found $144 in gift cards I'd forgotten about from last year! I called all the numbers to check the balances and wrote them on the cards with a sharpie, and was surprised to find a couple of them had never been used.

19. John-Wayne

Nice!!!.... here, i'll give you my address and you can send them my way. :supercheeky:

No, but seriously, cool. happy spending. :)

Some Guy, Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  20. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

I sailed past the 50 page mark in my novel today! (at approx. 250 per)

It's probably really a novella. I think I'm about a quarter of the way through. I know that wouldn't be much of an achievement for most people, but even a couple of pages a day is a big deal for me. After a decade and a half of false starts and abandoned projects, mostly resulting from a detrimental habit I have of incessantly editing and re-editing myself into untenable disasters, not to mention a years-long drought, I'm finally trucking. I'm working on a schedule and following rules about waiting to rewrite until the first draft is finished. These two simple changes have made a bigger difference than anything I've ever tried. I still have a long way to go, but including several pieces of short fiction, I've written almost 25,000 words in less than eight weeks!

I'm so glad I found this place, because you beautiful people have been a big help too with the inspiration, encouragement and plot-hole plugging, so thank you!

21. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Ain't that a hard truth for many an aspiring writer. Makes for an unbalanced read as well, I wonder how many writing projects have a beginning that's polished to a mirror and an end, where it exists, being a mad rush for the stable door. I'm completely mindful of it but it's a real battle with self-discipline not to pick at what's been previously written when resuming with a WIP. Things escalate.

Rzero, matwoolf and Cave Troll like this.
  22. flawed personality

Lots of things to be happy about today, as I just kept on winning! Won bingo three times, managed to get a same-day appointment at my GP (which is unheard of), got a lift home, and a free bag of groceries. Got home, checked my email, and discovered I have also won an Amazon Gift Card from another forum I am a member of. They do a random giveaway every month for their members. :cheerleader:

23. Cave Troll

Sounds like you are on a lucky streak. :)

flawed personality likes this.
  24. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Makes me wonder how many unclaimed gift cards the restaurant has floating around... got to be in the tens of thousands.

25. John-Wayne

Just thinking that makes me sad. Say I have great customer service, can I come work at a restaurant. LOL.

Some Guy, Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.