The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Millamber

Millamber Active Member

The wife and I have finalised all of our plans for next week when we head to Scotland to drive the Highlands. I keep looking at images of places on Google Maps and it looks so beautiful. It'll be an awful lot of driving (I live on the south coast of England), but I'm really looking forward to it :D

jannert, T_L_K, Kinzvlle and 2 others like this.
  2. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

I got a new book yesterday: Children's Costume: The Complete Historical Sourcebook by John Peacock, which is a pretty good name for a costume historian, IMO. It's full of gorgeous illustrations, and I keep flicking through it. A lot of my characters are children, so it's pretty handy since it's not a very well-researched field. I have one of his other books, The Chronicle of Western Costume, and I honestly cannot sing its praises enough. It's got thousands of illustrations and covers the ancient world right up until the 1980s, pretty much one year at a time. Unfortunately, the kids book isn't as comprehensive, and up until the "invention of the child" in the early 19th century, it pretty much covers 500 years in only sixteen pages. It's still a gorgeous book, though, and I'd recommend both, especially Chronicle of Western Costume, to anyone who writes historical fiction.

3. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Working hard for two months it finally paid off!

Sort of feel like going on a shopping spree tonight but I'll settle for just some nice food or something.

4. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Work, Minecraft, sleep, repeat!

That's my life at this moment, and I'm enjoying it! Oh, there's also some writing in between as well

5. flawed personality

flawed personality Engaged to an Amazing Man :) Contributor

Where wind and rain are common, and sun is rare
    I started another craft project today, and that makes me happy. :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. EstherMayRose

I just read an article about coming out and it contained the advice to parents not to out their child. "Be patient and let your gay soufflé finish cooking before you open the oven door." I will be changing my title to "gay soufflé", effective immediately.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

If you're not gay, and you're not straight, you're... stray? gaight?

Alan Aspie and Cave Troll like this.
  8. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

The Derek Jarman diaries on Radio 4 are very beautiful - tho’ Rupert Everet’s narration arguably fruity & metropolitan [ham] mmeh...

jannert and Some Guy like this.
  9. Some Guy

I have a great happenis, today.

Mark Burton and matwoolf like this.
  10. EstherMayRose

"Bisexuals are great. They're not gay. They're not straight. They're graight."

11. Some Guy

AaaaHaaa! LOL

:superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh:

12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Spitting .45 caliber grammar.... Contributor

I hate souffles... they take 26 minutes to bake on top of the prep time. Hard to turn a table when the dessert course takes a fucking hour.

Good analogy, though. No way to rush a souffle.

13. disasterspark

disasterspark Active Member

Switching from novels to comics has made me loads happier and made me enjoy reading again.

For months before I thought that really smart people read books, or how I would never make it as a comic book writer/artist (amplified by the fact I can't draw shit), so writing was the only option. Yet I never enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed comics. Reading regular novels felt like a chore, even if they were objectively pretty good. But I could finish multiple comics a day if I wanted. And I would always want more. Hell, I loved reading them when I was a kid. Not exactly the case with novels (English class flashbacks). One day I was sitting in my room, playing guitar, a bunch of books were sitting in my room, collecting dust, having not even opened them since I checked them out from the local library. Suddenly I just thought "Fuck novels, I may like writing them, but I don't enjoy reading them at all. I wanna do comics again." so I soon went out and turned in all of the novels I had, and grabbed checked out a few comics. And I've never looked back.

I'm not knocking novels entirely. If you like them, great. What I'm saying is, I realized I only wrote my project in a "novel" format not because I enjoyed the medium, but it was "easier" in my mind because I didn't have to draw. Though switching to a medium that requires some, at least basic experience with drawing, I actually like drawing, even if I'm not good at it. And I'll still read non-fiction books for information, or occasionally write a silly fanfic when I'm bored. Even though I've only started getting serious, I think it will be a lot more enjoyable than hopelessly devoting my soul to a medium I don't even enjoy consuming, all in the name of being easier. Life is too short for that.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    jannert and Cave Troll like this.
  14. Some Guy

Okie Dokie, then.

15. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

It feels good to finally turn in edits to my editor. Finally. I can't believe how hard it is to meet deadlines. I'm trying. But now I believe the piece is done and ready for publication. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the editor says back. This sure is a hard game we're playing when money and publication are involved. For now, I can breathe a little easier. The hard part is done. Yay! (for now)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    jannert, Mark Burton and Cave Troll like this.
  16. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

5 minutes in the microwave, sorted :D

https://www.mummypages.co.uk/recipes/cheese-souffle-in-a-mug

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. Night Herald

Night Herald Have you seen the Yellow Sign? Supporter Contributor

Just won 500 NOK (~51.50€ or $58) on a scratching ticket. Made my day, or at least the next handful of hours.

18. Lemie

One more day until Lost gets here!

19. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Senior Member

Lemie:

Get Lost!

jannert and flawed personality like this.
  20. Lemie

I had an old friend visiting the nearby city tonight and I agreed to go out...

...I am so incredibly happy she had to cancel last minute. It's not even eleven here and I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. Had I've been out partying I'd be asleep in some corner of a noicy bar/club by now!

I'm going to have a sleep in tomorrow. After getting up twenty past four for a week I really, really need it.

flawed personality likes this.
  21. flawed personality

flawed personality Engaged to an Amazing Man :) Contributor

Where wind and rain are common, and sun is rare
    For those who like Robot Wars, I present The Ballad Of Sir Killalot:supergrin::

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. love to read

love to read Member

Sitting on the balcony with a drink and the dogs. Watching Riverdale. There is a nice little breeze and it‘s actually quite peaceful, as long as the dog don‘t get one of their barking fits.

23. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I am truly, deeply, and madly in love. That's way better than writing the best thing ever or publishing anything. Sometimes it's really great to have something overpower the struggles of a writer's life or just life in general. This kind of happiness cancels out everything wrong.

24. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Spitting .45 caliber grammar.... Contributor

Great wedding proposal party at the restaurant tonight. Party of 50, and the only two people in the building who knew what was happening was the groom to be and I. Poor prick called me six times last night freaking out about every little detail. Thankfully everything went off without a hitch. Nice to see some happiness in a business largely composed of misery.

25. EstherMayRose

The thing about that is, a lot of people talk about how romantic their proposal was and mention how many people it was in front of, but I would rather have it be in private. I feel like if a proposal is in public (especially in front of strangers), it becomes a performance, and the person being proposed to might feel pressured to "play the part" and say "yes". What if they wanted to say "no"?