The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

I think.... I think I didn't like Mirror Sight as much as the others, but Firebrand got me right back in the saddle so to speak. Absolutely love this series. I re-read it often.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  2. love to read

love to read Senior Member

1. Today was Henry’s (dog number one) birthday. He turned nine. May there be many more to come! :cheerleader:

2. Our local library is open again, with restrictions (not more than fifty people simultaneously and you had to write down your user card number in a list). I can’t say I was running out of books (in fact, they are literally piling up) but I took five new ones home anyway. More important was the fact that for the first time in almost three months I left the house with another purpose than getting groceries or going for a walk with one of the dogs. It felt a bit like a (long needed) restart :read2::).

Rzero, Hammer, Gladiolus83 and 6 others like this.
  3. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I'm home at last!

It was my birthday yesterday, oh wait, it's past 12... two days ago, which I spent in the room of a dear friend of mine, as he was soundly sleeping and I was editing the night away at premiere. It's like we live on complementary shifts with this friend. I lied down to sleep when he got up in late morning and had to use his pc for his Zoom class. Only problem is that today I skipped class again, actually fell in deep sleep, so I missed it. My friend told me I looked like a dead person so he chose not to wake me up. Good! I had the best dreams! Lately, my dreams have taken a turn into studio Gibli style and I mean... Wow. If only I could paint them. They are so beautiful! The sceneries are mind-blowing. I feel so light in them and the stories are like fairy tales. I've heard some pretty wise things from some people I've met in these dreams. Perhaps when I'm done with the work I have to do now, I'll try painting them. If I could, I'd take everyone with me to show them those dreamscapes. I'm in good spirits generally.

Anyhow, I finished one project today, hoorey! :D It didn't turn out so... good... It's shit actually, but I did everything I could with what I had and now it's done and I have one more project to go. It feels good getting stuff done.

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Would be really cool if we could do a shared dream thing. :superwhew::superwhew:

flawed personality and Malisky like this.
  5. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Indeed. For years I've been trying to bring my childhood friend's awareness into them into no avail. It doesn't hurt trying though. Perhaps one day... :)

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I dream about screaming at my mother and working naked in the dining room... who wants to share?

7. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

When i try to fight in my dreams, my body goes limp and my fist turns into jelly before it makes contact with the object of my ire and then i start to cry either because i cant defend myself OR because i feel ashamed for acting in violence.

.........i think my subconscious is trying to tell me something

8. Homer Potvin

Looney tunes. Clearly.

Some Guy, Xoic and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Xoic

Some of the most common dreams in the world, that plus working naked in the dining room of course. For the fighting/weakness thing it seems to be because your body is actually trying to move but it can't because of REM atonia (what's sometimes mistakenly called sleep paralysis, but happens every time you're dreaming, the muscles go totally limp so you can't act dreams out and hurt yourself). But your brain does get the signals that, though it wants you to move, you're not, you're just laying there like a rag-doll, possibly twitching gently like a dreaming dog, so that makes it panic a little and becomes part of the dream. One of those things people often interpret as having meaning when it's really just physiological.

The one I always remember is when I was playing street hockey with Ozzy Osbourne in full on Dark Lord mode, and we were using a double-bladed axe head for a puck. Each time I'd hit it it barely made it halfway to him, but he'd twitch his stick and it whipped right to him, he'd smash it and it would fly past me spinning at high velocity and bury itself into the wall of a nearby house. Then it would be in front of me again and my turn. Good times.

J.T. Woody, Some Guy and Hammer like this.
  10. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I've had a few very odd dreams that I still remember vividly. One was purely auditory. The most beautiful guitar solo I had ever heard was playing in my head, and when I woke up I could still remember it, although it faded completely within a few seconds. It had the most counterintuitive phrases, fractured and bright like a kaleidoscope. I still think about it with regret

11. Xoic

Those are amazing aren't they? I've had some like that, and occasionally a song somebody was singing in the dream, that I could actually remember on waking.

12. Xoic

One of my favorite sleep-related things is when I'm getting super sleepy, to the point where I can't keep my eyes open, and the radio is on, and the song becomes the most perfect thing imaginable, and seems to go on for hours. Last time it happened was a few years ago, a Pink Floyd song (don't remember which one) and it was like being in complete musical heaven. The notes vibrated through me, and built caves in my head or something, like the whole universe was music and I was drifting in it, one big eardrum throbbing with intense pleasure. Better stop there or move this to Erotica.

13. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

The worst one I can remember in vivid detail is I was a witness to a single car accident on the interstate, so I pulled over to help till the ambulance could get there.

This guy was falling out of his car, which had flipped a few times into the drainage ditch, and he kept saying he needed to find his brother. So I got him as comfortable as I could (he was bleeding profusely from a mysterious wound to his shoulder, close to his neck), then went to find his brother. His brother was shredded from flying through the windshield. He was definitely not coming back up to the car with me. I got back to the guy from the car and he was dead, just staring up at the sky.

And that's when I heard the baby. I crawled carefully into the car and got the baby out of her car seat, she'd gotten a little scratch on her face and on her hand, but her car seat kept her safe. I sat down on the ground beside the man and held the baby till the paramedics arrived.

The part the haunts me the most is I kept singing to the baby, and the song was Autumn Leaves. Just singing quietly and rocking her gently while crying.

14. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Meh. Been there, done that. Used to take walks in the buff at 2 or 3 in the morning and I didn't know why. Turns out that my sleep meds do have side effects.

Holy fucking shit! That hit me hard! I'll tell you why later, but damn!

Cave Troll and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  15. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

My battered, anorexic, substance abusing mother finally moved into a nice house and she has a new boyfriend who's hopefully a nice person.

16. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

My neighbour that had the cardiac arrest on Sunday was discharged from hospital today and is now back home after undergoing a procedure to unblock his coronary artery. I cracked one of his ribs doing chest compressions :meh:.

Steve Rivers, Rzero, Some Guy and 4 others like this.
  17. iowawriter

iowawriter Senior Member

I had my first haircut since March. I feel 20 pounds lighter.

Cave Troll, Steve Rivers and Rzero like this.
  18. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    But you likely saved his life.

Steve Rivers, Rzero, Some Guy and 4 others like this.
  19. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I've refound love in my girlfriend. Out of the blue almost. Maybe nothing was wrong.

I'm probably unstable. I'll have long periods of high neuroticism followed by periods of stability.

20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    So that other creative project I mentioned? It's a visual arts thing. I won't be sharing here because I don't mix my hobbies, but it got selected as the week's banner for the Facebook group I posted it to even though I hadn't submitted it to the contest.

Kind of like if we reached into The Workshop here and gave somebody one of the Writing Contest prizes despite their not having entered.

Yes, it's a very minor award, but it always feels good to have your creative endeavors recognized by people who don't know you and have no special reason beyond the appreciation of your work to do so.

21. iowawriter

iowawriter Senior Member

A friend who is a high school teacher celebrated the birth of his family's second child this week.

He, Mom, Baby Girl and Big Brother are all doing well.

22. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    I am writing. Got a brutal little flash/short brewing but it's almost 2am and my vision is going blurry so I've got to put it on pause for now.

23. Homer Potvin

Add one and flip the sun... I'll always know what time it is Japan thanks to Iain's time stamps.

24. iowawriter

iowawriter Senior Member

I'm not much for blooper videos, but I've been enjoying these news blooper ones. I hope this one makes you smile as it did me.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  25. iowawriter

iowawriter Senior Member

Goddaughter turned 13 today. Her birthday loot was as follows.

UnderArmour clothing (her favorite brand)
    Gift cards to Burger King, Dairy Queen and some other fast food places
    A writing journal for her to keep track of her first year as a teenager.

That last one was from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.