The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

^ I suspect about as often as it does in hell. Could be wrong though.

Malisky likes this.
  2. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

As @Xoic said, not so often. It used to when I was a child and it snowed a lot (I'm at the Northern suburbs), but you know... greenhouse effect and all. A few days ago I was wearing a freaking T-shirt outside!!!

3. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    One of my most pleasant memories is of a long solo walk I took in a nature preserve years ago, on a cold still day. All was quiet. A soft snow began and I could hear it faintly hissing as it hit the tree branches and tall dead grass. I never knew snow could speak, and it was like discovering something that had always been hidden around me.

Malisky, jannert, Xoic and 1 other person like this.
  4. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Lot's to be happy about this week!
    Last year I submitted my book, Facing Racism, to a Writer's Digest competition. Though I found out in January that it didn't place, I just received feedback. It did pretty darn good for my first book! I really couldn't have asked for a better editorial review. Also landed a speaking engagement with the USA Volleyball team staff to talk about my book as a part of their diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.

On another note, excited (and a little nervous) to be planning out my next book(s). It's a different direction than my first, but even so, it's thrilling to see myself actually finishing and putting my work out there - and seeing it helping people.

Finally, super excited to see my new authors in transformation (editing/coaching clients) doing well. One has submitted 7 out of 15 chapters of her manuscript on eliminating RA pain. Another has just completed her outline and will probably start writing next week. My newest author just started today and has already identified her ideal audience and her message. At this pace she'll be writing in no time (and probably planning her second book). I feel so blessed to witness their growth as writers, coaches, and thought-leaders in their communities/fields. More importantly it's an honor to see them so inspired by their commitment to showing up for their readers.

It's like my whole world just really flipped.

Dogberry's Watch, Malisky and jannert like this.
  5. Xoic

It hit almost freezing today!! It literally feels like a heat wave compared to what it's been for a week or so now. The snow is melting, the sidewalks are even beginning to clear! Hopefully the Polar Vortex is over and done now, retreating back to the North Pole to await next year, when it can come back and wreak its havoc again.

In other news, I now have a small bird, a finch or something, living in my house. I opened the door for it to get out and it flew past it contemptuously like 6 times, just to let me know it has no intention of leaving while it's so damn cold out there! I can't say I blame it. I don't think it touched the stale cat food I put out for it. Then I remembered I have some old Chia seeds still in a sealed pack, but several years old. The internet tells me birds can eat them and might prefer them soaked, so I have a little jar lid with some soaked seeds, some dry ones on the floor next to it, and another jar lid with water. Can't tell if he found it yet or not, I'm waiting to see the seeds scattered—that'll mean he's at least tried them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  6. Authentically Adrian

Authentically Adrian Member

Pet Semetary by Stephen KIng
    I didn't have a depressive episode today and I had more self control and self confidence.

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

We finally got water back after having frozen pipes for a week!! (In Texas de-thawing after the ice storm). Showers and laundry for the win. Now if the supply chain could get fixed so the stores could have bread, milk, and eggs again that would be great....

8. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Glad that the sort of tiresome task of using the snowblower and roof rake is all I have to worry about up here in the frozen north, where pipes are insulated and the power runs free. Nice to come in to a warm cup of coffee and sit down at the ol' laptop for a few minutes.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Roof rake?

Xoic likes this.
  10. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

A device to rake the snow off your roof in order to prevent ice-dams.

11. Xoic

Ice-dams?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Huh, I'm from Chicago and that's a new one on me.

ETA: Roof rake o_O

13. Xoic

Ok, an ice dam is the mass of ice on the edge of the roof with all the icicles hanging from it. Got it.

14. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I didn't know what they were before last winter.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    You, my friend, have been an expatriate too long.

Actually, I didn't know much about the rakes until a few years back, when we had a very very snowy winter and the snow piled up massively on my roof and threatened to cover the furnace intake. This has been another such winter.

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Believe me, if you value your gutters, the integrity of your roof, and keeping your house dry and properly drained, you want to invest in a roof rake or something else to remove the snow. Usually only a problem when you have extended winters where nothing melts for 3 or 4 months. All the roofs were steeply peaked where I lived in New Hampshire, and nobody had gutters. They would jam freeze and collapse by January.

17. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

98184393-A107-4C2F-B60E-77011F7BB47E.jpeg

18. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

We bought a new roof a couple weeks ago expecting to wait till April before they started work. The roofing company called today to let us know they’s be getting the materials delivered Thursday, and starting work Friday.
    It was a fair bit more than we had planned for, but if the roof lives up to the marketing, it should out live me and my wife.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I found ~4 pages of backstory/worldbuilding notes, which I wrote like a year and half ago and thought I had lost, for my current WIP. Perfect timing as I felt like I was getting stuck, good to have something to remind me of bits I meant to write but had forgotten.

20. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I got to my brother's house last night to surprise my niece this morning. She was so excited to see me that she went squeaky voiced and told her mom, "It's Ca!!!"

Best reason to be awake so early.

21. Authentically Adrian

Authentically Adrian Member

Pet Semetary by Stephen KIng
    I have no idea how I just managed to write a 1,063 word story in under an hour, but I'm proud of myself anyway.

Xoic, Cave Troll and EFMingo like this.
  22. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Sometimes they just roll on out like that. Enjoy them when they appear.

23. iowawriter

iowawriter Senior Member

Today marks the start of my favorite three months of the year. I love spring so much and hopefully we have a nice one here in Iowa. Last week was wonderful and this one looks like it will be, as well. This time of year lifts my spirits.

Hope you all also have a nice spring.

24. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Just back from a nice walk, temps in the 40sF and at long last the snow is melting, like glaciers retreating, little rivers rushing along the curbs, consolidating into a rock-ribbed and bottomed ravine, where the water gurgles around the rocks and makes mini-rapids and tiny waterfalls. A sense of nature in motion after a months of dormancy. It takes a long, wonderful, time for a foot of frozen snow to melt.

B.E. Nugent, Cave Troll and Xoic like this.
  25. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

My company made a huge amount of money this year. So mid month this month, I get a large bonus, a secondary larger bonus, regular biweekly pay check, and another small bonus.

This is a good month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.