1. halen99

halen99 New Member

Help with plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by halen99, Nov 10, 2009.

Hello, I'm getting framework for a short story that goes along the lines of Androcles and the lion. Here is my basic plot, then below is what I'm stuck on.

Common man coming from humble beginnings to do more with his life.

One day he just so happened to be at the right place at the right time when he ran into fallen iconic royalty

This group was somehow hurt upon his arrival and he helps them in their time of need.

As a direct result the group comes back to the public stronger then ever. The group takes him in and treats him like one of them.

After several years the man returns home for a visit where he is reminded of the life he once had where the city hasn't changed at all.

On a visit to the man's city, the group publicly aknowlages the man for his actions and the masses learn to know this man and treat him as royalty.

--

My problem is the following. I need to know what group the man is helping. It would be along the lines of a super hero group, or perhaps a powerful religious group, or a royal family. A small group of people that are well known by the masses. Can anyone suggest something for me?

2. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

well i'd say you've already got several suggestions there yourself, but the main problem here is that no-one can really wirte your story for you, first of all you would need to determine what genre you wish to write in, helping a group of superheroes as opposed to say for example a group of tibetian monks will place this in a very idfferent genre and shape the way the rest of the story wil follow Once you have a clear idea of where you wish to end up, the journey there should become clearer

3. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I see one problem, and it doesn't involve this group of people...but that you seem to be lacking conflict and motivation in your plot.

It's your story, and giving a plot outline online is generally recommended against. If you want to know what kind of group you should use, try doing research in the general idea of what you want. You can also make them up! They don't have to be real.

You might want to think about what kind of conflicts you are going to have in this story, what is your character's motivation? what kind of character arc will you have? He starts out poor, and returns home after becoming like royalty...are there any consequences to this? Do people hate him, love him and why? These are things you have to think about.

When a person starts out at the bottom and rises to the top, there are usually people who resent it. Also, once someone gets to the top, there is really only one direction to go...back down.

An interesting story always has conflict, be it external, internal, or a blend of the two, there has to be conflict...especially in dramas.

4. halen99

halen99 New Member

thanks for the comments thus far, gives me a lot to think about.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'iconic royalty' [???]

6. halen99

halen99 New Member

I'm not sure if this group is royalty or not but my point was they are very well known everywhere. i.e. iconic.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Iconic and famous are not synonymous.

8. architectus

architectus Banned

MC, Steve, wants to be a guitarist. He has written many songs. He wants to get out of the slums, be a famous rock star, and share his songs with the world. There are his goals and motivation.

By chance, a famous rock band hears Steve playing in a local, run-down bar. It just so happens that they are looking for a new guitarist. They ask Steve to play for them.

Conflict: He doesn't really care for their style of music. When he shows them his songs, they don't really care, and refuse to use them. He sticks with them because he is making good money. When years later, they play a gig at his home town, Steve sees the town hasn't changed at all. They praise him for being a rock star, for fulfilling his dream. His old friend is very proud of him for achieving his dreams. But he hasn't fulfilled his dreams. The band still ignores his songs, and he wants to share them with the world. He has to make the choice to stay with the famous band or take the chances by searching for a band that will let him play his songs.

Anyway, there are so many ways to write the story you have outlined.