1. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

The Homosexual Attitude.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Solaris, Sep 6, 2008.

Earlier I was thinking about the main character of a novel I'm working on, and something about it was kind of nagging at my brain.
    See - I want him to be homosexual. But not in a sense that you can tell unless he actually came out and told you. I want him to just be himself, as a man.
    I've noticed that there is this huge stereotype when it comes to 'gay' men that they all have to act really 'eccentric' and bimbo-y. Or overly feminine.
    So much so that it's almost like it is what defines being gay, and it is the first thing that pops into your head when you think of homosexuality.
    This always kind of irritates me because obviously the definition of homosexuality is simply a man being attracted to another man. It has nothing to do with personality traits.

I always figured the reason why a lot of gay men acted this way was because it made them feel more secure with their sexuality, as it felt a little more like a woman with a man than a man with another man.
    I could be wrong though, but that is just a theory that made sense to me.
    And now I think it has just grown into this fad which frankly to be honest gets on my nerves.

I don't mean to be insulting if anyone that is homosexual reads this! But what do you guys think? o_o
    Anyone that is gay have an opinion about it?

And what do you think about homosexual characters that act/don't act this way?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, I'm not gay myself, but what about such notables as Rock Hudson, George Takei, and Raymond Burr.

3. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I can't say I'm familiar with them?
    I'm just talking about the general masses. It seems like the majority rule in this current era.

4. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Well, I'm not gay, but I'm bi, so here's my thoughts. I think there are just some guys that are naturally eccentric, bimbo-y or feminine, and when they are gay, its considered ok to be that way. There are straight guys like that aswell, but they won't show it because they don't want to be labeled gay. Also there probably are gay guys that act that way to be able to fit in.

So create the character you want. In my opinion personality has nothing to do with orientation.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, where do I start….?

First, yes, I am gay. Everyone knows it! Not because I’m NEON GAY, but because I slip it into my very regular life without missing a beat. I am not particularly fond of gay lit for many of the reasons that you have already mentioned. Stereotypes taken to a burlesque degree. Not for me. Strange thing is, these books are almost always written by gay people. Go figure.

I write sci-fi with gay protagonists all the time. I don’t make it an axe to grind, it just my expression of the old adage, “write what you know.”
    I try my best to make my gay characters three dimensional, and not stereotypical, because that just isn’t me. I could go on forever, but maybe you have some specific questions so I could narrow my answers down?

Wrey

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I think the feminine gay man stereotype is completely inaccurate. I've met many effeminate men, but none of them were actually gay. They were jsut really in touch with their feelings (One of them was just crazy, I think they took him to see a shrink because he actually thought he was a woman or something. he was a little weird :confused:).

I've met a few gay men but none of them fit that stereotype. Most of them act more like typical guys far as i can tell except they don't check out the girls at the swimming pool :rolleyes:.

Oh and:

Sulu is gay? Didn't see that one coming...

7. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Well yeah I agree there are guys that are just naturally feminine, as well as women that are naturally more masculine or tom-boyish. Such as myself LOL.
    But I'm talking about the extreme over-the top eccentric attitudes a lot of gay men have.
    That you can just tell they aren't being themselves. I just think it gives homosexuality a bad reputation and clumps it in with stereotypes such as 'all blond's are stupid' or 'all preps are stuck up'.
    And it ends up giving me the impressing that gay men that are just regular men are the ones that are the most secure with themselves.
    Again this is just my opinion though but it made me kind of curious.

8. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I don't really have specific questions, I just wanted to discuss it and see what other peoples opinions of it were. Especially anyone that was homosexual such as yourself.
    Your stories sound like something I'd definitely read! :)

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'm Bi as well.
    And I am with Shadow on this one. I think that the guys who act that way are just naturally eccentric or bimb-y, and that when they are gay its okay.

But my favorite kind of gay are those gays you don't know are gay. I think it gives them a little something something.

Anyway make the character whatever way you want. Its your character.

10. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Really?
    See I've never met a gay guy that didn't act in the manner I described.
    And everyone I know - if you mentioned homosexuality that's what they'd picture.

As far as the man thinking he was a woman, there a lot of people with that problem. There are a lot of females that believe they're supposed to be male as well.
    You should see a FTM transition, it's fascinating. You wouldn't even believe they used to be female.

11. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Yeah but I'm not talking about just a natural femininity. I mean that overly eccentric that you can just tell isn't true to them.

As far as the character goes, I intend to. :p

12. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

You know that is called Transgender, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender

13. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Thank you! The word was escaping me for some strange reason.
    Even though I've read a lot about the subject. o_o

14. Cogito

I am astonished.

Rock Hudson is one of Hollywood's most famous leading men. He starred in many romantic comedy movies, and also in the TV series MacMillan and Wifeand Dynasty, the TV miniseries adaptation of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, and the Alistair McLean thriller Ice Station Zebra.

George Takei is best known as Star Trek's Captain Sulu, and more recently played Hiro Makamura's father Kaito Nakamura in the TV series Heroes.

Raymond Burr is best known as the actor who portrayed TV's Perry Mason and Ironside.

All three were gay, but concealed the fact most of their lives. My point really is that they seemed just like anyone else. Many gay men do not affect effemenate mannerisms.

15. Wreybies

Wow, just look at the gaggle of people down there waiting to see what gets posted. Nothing like the word homosexual to attract a crowd! :D

I can tell you that there is a little phenomenon that my friends and I called GAY101, or Gay for Beginners. Most gay guys go through a period of really queening out when they finally take down the closet door. Most guys get past this and move on to upper level classes and normalize. Others remain freshmen for their entire lives and never graduate.

The ones who stay in GAY101 forever usually go by the names Miss Thing, or Gurl!

Never, ever, did I like those names.

16. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

It's the straight men that do.

17. Cogito

That you know of. :)

18. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Cogito:
    No I've heard of all of those names, I just mean I'm not familiar with their work per say, or much about them.

And I realize there are a lot of gay men out there that are not this way.
    I'm just speaking of this stereotype that pertains to this generation and how it affects the views of homosexuality - and anybody that is homosexual.

19. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Wreybies:
    Hahaha queening out, that's priceless! :p
    But yes I understand what you mean. I've come across that a few times.
    It just makes me feel kind of bad I guess? Because a lot of people hate on gay men for this reason. Or on homosexuality in general because of it.

Lol I'm getting lazy with quoting.

20. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

When I think of homosexual? I think of really hot guy and you think he is straight.
    Turns out hello come to papa.

I think this only because a lot of the really cute guys at my school are gay.
    And I mean they aren't play gay....they are gay.
    You can tell, after you talk to them for a while.

:redface:

I feel kinda weird for calling guys cute.

21. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Hahaha. Touche! ;)

22. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I know what transgender is but apparently he had a serious mental disorder. Don't ask me to explain it I didn't know him personally (And apparently all anyone know was that he had been diagnosed with some gender related mental disorder that was a serious detriment to his ability to act effectively in society). I just saw him around and asked some of his friends what had happened when he disappeared halfway through the school year. But trust me. I barely knew the guy and knew something was wrong with him. He had major issues.

One day he ran around the cafeteria spraying everyone with perfume and when the principle tried to get him to the office he told her to stop hating on a sister and started talking about his... yeah I probably won't go there. I'll just say this guy was messed up in a very bad way and I'm completely serious (And I assure you I'm not exagerating. its hard to exagerate when he screams everything) when I say something was wrong with him.

23. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Well that is a good thing. :)
    And don't feel weird, guys are cute. ;)

24. Wreybies

Play gay? I remember Lesbian Chic, but Play Gay? :confused:

25. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Ha, I justed noticed all of the people at the bottom, watching this thread. Come and comment guys, its alright. We won't bite....much. :p