1. thesatindancer008

thesatindancer008 New Member

Just Wanted Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by thesatindancer008, May 2, 2009.

Hiya! I have this problem, and I was wondering if it was all right or not. I'm not very good at finishing my stories because I get other ideas that pop up over the current one. Right now I have a bunch of unfinished beginnings and middles sitting idle in my laptop. Plus, I have another idea. The problem is that I'm wary to start it if I'm not going to finish it. Should I work with a lot of different ideas until one just clicks? Or should I force myself to finally finish one of the older works? Thanks!

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

It's good to continually work on one so you can finish something, but that doesn't mean that you can't jot down other ideas or scenes on the side as well. They can even come in handy when you're struggling on where to go next in the current story you're writing.

3. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

If you have trouble focusing/writing, then I suggest you pour your energies and reserves into one project and see it through to the end. If you're an unfocused writer, taking multiple projects/ideas at a time will just put you off course. Focus on one thing at a time cultivate the self-discipline necessary to see it through.

4. thesatindancer008

thesatindancer008 New Member

Thank you guys so much for your advice! I think that after I'm down with my exams, I am going to discipline myself!

5. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I had a few different stories until I changed their settings and characters and merged the different plotlines into one, and it works well so far. At least, it makes more sense than I thought it would...

6. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Giving yourself a deadline might help. Pick one piece at random or your favorite or whatever and write a letter to yourself, telling you that this piece must be completed by the end of the month (or whatever time period is realistic).

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

bits and pieces of works can't be sold... only completed/polished ones can... so, if you really want to be a published writer someday, force yourself to finish something--anything--if only to find out if you're capable of doing so...