1. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

If anyone needs to know about violin playing, ask away!

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lilith Addington, Apr 21, 2016.

I'm a semi-professional student violinist - I play with three orchestras, in addition to taking private lessons. I'll be competing at state level on solo violin in a bit over a week. I've been playing for seven years.

So, if any of you need to know more about what it's like to play violin, top violin repertoire, or what the classical music world is like in general, ask away! :)

jannert, tonguetied and SadStories like this.
  2. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

So you fiddle away time on this forum when not playing? :)

Which is better Stradivarius or Guarneri in your opinion? :) :)

3. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Well, seeing as I haven't had a chance to play either yet, I can't honestly say. :p However, Strads are known to be somewhat difficult to play - you have to treat them more gently than some other instruments, or they won't speak. They require a certain touch. Guarneris are supposedly darker and fuller, and can (according to what I've heard) be played more heavily.
    So I guess, from what I've heard through the violin community, I would prefer to play a Guarneri, but I'll reserve my judgement until I've had a chance to try both makers. ;)

tonguetied likes this.
  4. Sophie Leo

Sophie Leo New Member

This conversation is also useful for me because I am interested in the violin playing.