1. Thank you all for your patience with our technical errors. We think we've fixed it, but please do report anything that's not working right, by posting on the 'minor bugs' thread in Support and Feedback, which can be found here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Island of Misfit Words - a progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by hyacinthe, Aug 15, 2020.

1. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

i wrote another scene this morning. it's really short. less than 700 words. and i typed the peak of the tension through tears. god i hope i'm not delusional

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Funky like your grandpa's drawers.... Staff Contributor

You're fine. Sanity is overrated. I don't trust anybody who isn't a little crazy.

3. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

done! done! 12,300 words! now I have to get it read and see what people think it needs before i kick it out the door to seek its fortune

Project Gumshoe is back on my desk. I promised to tackle the edits and send it back for Monday, so I guess I'm working this weekend.

I also wailed about my lack of urgency to work on project bone, so now i have until the middle of August to write a first draft of the story up to the "all hell breaks loose" plot point--which could take as many as 100k words. That's intimidating. But my agent blocked off the whole week to read it, so I *must* do it now, or I will disappoint her, and I would rather die.

4. Homer Potvin

"What happened to hyacinthe?"

"He dead. Agent killed him."

hyacinthe likes this.
  5. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

first impressions from two readers so far. both deeply enjoyed it for its page turning tension, which is great. one person asked, "hey what happened to Magician X?" and answering that will mean adding at least two more scenes to the story.

it's also an addition i didn't foresee. I already had two plot points i wondered about. depending on feedback, this might wind up being a novella... which might make things weird at the interested market.

editing project gumshoe now. this story's pretty good. I hope the editor likes it.

6. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

project gumshoe is out of my hands. it's been sent into the world to seek its fortune.

and now i'm wondering if I'm out of my mind, sending out a reworked fanfic that I can't quite file the serial numbers off all the way--but you know, whatever.

7. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Hey, 50 shades of grey was a Twilight fanfic that attempted to file its serial number off. Considering both of those are steaming piles of garbage, I guarantee yours is probably way WAY better, Hya :D

Sark1986 likes this.
  8. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

E. L. James is worth $150M. if my repurposed fic does 1% as well as she did with hers I don't know what I would do.

Buy more Fluevogs, I guess!

9. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

And E.L. James is just one of many.

Sark1986 likes this.
  10. Homer Potvin

The hell is a...

(Googles)

Oooh, shoes! Daddy like!

hyacinthe and Sark1986 like this.
  11. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

i've been a fan of Fluevogs for a really long time but they were generally too expensive for me to buy.

I've bought two pairs this year.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  12. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

okay i haven't yeeted project sugar out the door yet because I am waiting for ONE PERSON to get back to me to tell me if it's ready

but i'm thinking about project bone, and I have a problem.

it's the first scene. ive written it twice. my agent has seen both versions.

version one: S____. is in a room by herself and relays information about the arrival of people she calls "the provincials" liberally sprinkled with her opinions on the matter by thinking about it in irritation as the provincials perform once of their ridiculous noisy smelly ceremonies outside

version two: S____. is trying to teach students who are so distracted by the prospect of going out to see the provincials put on a ceremony, so she lets them leave early and have an encounter with the boy she has a crush on

so version three should have the plot, character, and worldbuuilding of version one, and the activity and engagement happening in version two. and i'm like GREAT HOW DO I DO THAT

because all I can think of is that S___. and the students could talk about the provincials instead of psychometry, but that feels like it could be a bit as you know, Bob

or maid and butler conversation

god i hate exposition

Sark1986, Steve Rivers and marshipan like this.
  13. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

okay that one person got back to me. suggestions were minor. i fixed it up and project sugar is now on an editor's desk.

Sark1986 and marshipan like this.
  14. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

okay, so

I'm exhibiting signs of burnout. I have been for a long time, and I really found that it made it difficult to write, that i was more neurotic and fraught and everything was high stakes hunger games shit, like every move i made had ripple effects into the future so was this the right move? shit like that. It's so annoying!

so i decided, a few weeks ago, to book a vacation. i'm not travelling anywhere, but I wanted a week where i didn't have to work. fuck deadlines. fuck appearances and videos and press releases and hustling. I was going to have Leisure Time.

In pandemic lockdown, but okay. I worked around that, and arranged a single solo outdoor activity that was relaxing and refreshing per day. these were all planned around walking.

and then, three days ago, i hurt my back. i'm under orders to alternate ice and heat, not to lift anything even slightly heavy, and to take it easy, and taking it easy does not include long, leisurely walks. so my vacation plans are screwed.

So i do this thing? where when I go to bed, I formally tell myself the problem i'm sleeping on, and then i'll come back to thinking about it in the morning. so I said, "what are my Plan B vacation activities?" and went to sleep...

and woke up thinking about Project Witch House (which isn't on the list of projects on my first post, sorry.) It's a contemporary domestic/psychological thriller with witches and a spooky, tragic house. I offered it as a possibility for book 2 of my contract but it was ignored. and now i want to write it.

and i get it. I do. no one wants this book from me. no one has smeared their expectations all over it. no one is interested. it's a special, secret story, just for me. only I love it. only I believe in it. writing it is an act of rebellion against my obligations. it's an act of rebellion against my brand--this is not the story anyone expects from me. it's got Contrary Bitch Energy all over it.

But

holy shit! can i stop being a writer for a week? a day? why am i nothing but this? why can't i just...stop for a little bit? rest? recuperate? am I even a real person without a pen in my hand? Jesus!