1. DBTate

DBTate New Member

The joys of an open-ended character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DBTate, Aug 22, 2011.

Hey guys,

I'm currently getting stuck in to the part of my story where some of the main characters are being introduced.

One of particular importance is the 'god dammit is this character good or bad??' Snape-like character.

What I love about him, is that I don't even know if he is good or not. I won't give away too much, but he is a character that I am loving writing!

These are the parts of writing that I love! The parts where you punch out words because your so eager to find out what happens! Like your subconscious is telling the story, and your conscious self is riding the same rollercoaster the reader (hopefully) eventually will!

Ah, don't you just love days like these? :D

What have been some of your favourite 'I'll see where he takes me' characters to write?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I created a character, Jared Slovnyk, for an RPG here on the site. He's a sociopath who kills without rage or remorse, simply because someone is in his way. His specialty is things that go boom, but he is lethal with a knife or a gun. He is not impressive to look at, small and pale, but there is absolutely no warmth in his eyes.

He was quite popular in the RPG, and I eventually wrote a short story about him in my blog. I had another story planned that would, among other things, give some insight into how he came to be what he is, but that one will probably never be written.

But he was truly a fun character to explore.

3. One of my main characters is a shady magician. He's the best friend of the protagonist. He wears black all the time, is really pale, and has long gray hair that covers his gray eyes. He seems good for the most part, helping the protagonist. But, I want there to be a bad side to him that I haven't decided about yet. I toyed with the idea of him sleeping with the protagonist's girl. . .

4. DBTate

DBTate New Member

Sounds like the kind of character that would be handy for a protagonist at some point, if he was able to lure him (money, drugs, women) :p

He's a wizard, make him cast a love spell ;) No the thing I don't like about wizards is that it is very hard to break the mould... Though if yours was a womanising, untrustworthy, self centred drug addict it might be a totally different story!

5. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

I once had a character named after me, who is a gangster from 1930's New York, New York, but when he sleeps he goes to a magical world where he meets a girl who lives in 2010's New York, New York and is heavily reliant on depressant medications. Both of these characters had a connection that I couldn't figure out and desperately wanted to find out about. Turns out that the female was the great-great grand daughter of of the male character, but I had no clue until the very end.

6. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Those characters are always fun - when you don't know whose side they're on, even though you're the one who created them.

In the big project I'm (very slowly) working on, there's a character who's shaping up to be like that. He starts off as the protagonist's friend, but he becomes suspicious of him as the story progresses. There's a good chance he'll turn on the protagonists in some way, but as of right now, he's a mystery to me.

As much as I love creating characters with detailed personalities and backstories from the get-go, I'm starting this particular story with only vague outlines of my MCs, and am slowly getting to know them as I write. It's pretty exciting, and I can't wait to see who they'll be by the end (if I ever actually get there).

7. Forceflow

Forceflow New Member

I've currently got a part of my book that im looking forward to, im trying to figure how to connect characters and time and space, im playing around with different ideas but guess i wont have a clue till it happens =)