1. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

The Lake Cabin: Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by The Piper, May 17, 2020.

Started work on my latest horror story today. Powered through for a solid four or five hours (stopped for lunch, of course) and managed 6,821 words. Most of it will be cut, but it's a decent start. Calling it a day there, since I feel that while most of that will probably be binned, any more I do today will definitely be worthless. Nearly at the end of chapter one, so hopefully tomorrow I'll get that finished and maybe a little more too. Might think of a better title in the meantime.

Keeping this journal to remind myself I need to do 1,000 words a day. That's the target - any above that is a bonus, below is fine as long as I know I've reached a point I'm happy with. Aiming for about 80,000 but the story is very character-based so I don't want to drag it on too long. We'll see!

Running total: 6,821
    Target for tomorrow: 7,821

marshipan and SethLoki like this.
  2. The Piper

Posting this now because I think I'm all out of inspiration for the day. It may hit again later, but I'm quite happy with the amount of progress I've made so if I crack out any more later on I'll just add it to tomorrow's total. I'm in a strange kind of mood where I feel like I've done a lot but at the same time I weirdly feel unproductive - I don't know if it's lack of sleep or stress or any of the other various maladies or if it's simply a case of feeling like I'm not completely filling this ridiculous amount of free time I have now. Whatever it is, I know if I put the numbers down I'll at least have some indication of the amount I've achieved today. And I know it's quality, not quantity, but every 1,000 words is a step closer to finishing the book, right?

Since I did a fair amount today, I've decided that, no matter what my progress each day, my target will remain the same. I'm aiming for 1,000 words a day - so if one day (like today, for example) my target is 8,000, whether I hit it, go over it, or come nowhere near, my target for the next day will be 9,000. It makes sense in my head. So my target at some point might end up being 20,000 and I might be on 25,000, but the next day the target will only increase to 21,000. I'll be ahead of it, but I'm fully aware how inconsistent my writing schedule is so if I have a few days of no motivation or if it starts to lull or I just don't write for a while, I've still got some sort of safety buffer.

It might help, as well, to be ahead of the target, knowing a) I've got that buffer to fall back on and b) I should reach the end sooner than I think. If I stick to 1,000 words a day, I'll be done by the end of July. We'll see. I know this is a lot of rambling, and I'm sorry to anyone who's read the whole thing.

Running total: 9,846
    Target for tomorrow: 9,000

marshipan likes this.
  3. The Piper

Split up the work today (some at around 2 this morning, the rest just now) and managed to get a fair bit done again, so still nicely ahead of my target! It's taking a little while to plan each section and I've promised myself I'm going to write ten more shorts before Halloween (planning for another self-pub collection, depending how my first goes in June) so I might take a break at some point this week to crack one of those out, we'll see.

Running total: 14,276
    Target for tomorrow: 10,000

marshipan likes this.
  4. The Piper

Nothing today, but I'm a fair way ahead of target and I got started on a couple other things so I'm not feeling too awful about it.

Running total: 14,276
    Target for tomorrow: 11,000

marshipan likes this.
  5. The Piper

Well, the journal's working - I knew I had a target to stay ahead of, and if I hadn't known that I don't think I would have done anything at all today. It was a bit of a last-minute scramble, but I managed to get through a segment that I thought would be a little lifeless and dull to write (I think that's the main reason I didn't write anything yesterday, was that I was putting this off) but it ended up being a little more fun than I thought and I don't think it's too bad! Even if it's not the best, I've got that tough bit out of the way and I can move on to something a bit more exciting tomorrow.

Here's to cracking it out, a little bit at a time.

Running total: 15,833
    Target for tomorrow: 12,000

marshipan likes this.
  6. The Piper

Cracked out another 500 because I left something unresolved and it was bugging me. Calling it a night there, just thought I'd update the total so I can't claim that it was part of tomorrow's work and let myself off tomorrow with only writing another 500!

Running total: 16,367
    Target for tomorrow: 12,000

marshipan likes this.
  7. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm finding your rearview mirror target to be, um, unique. I gather the fun is seeing how far ahead you are.

Good progress!

8. The Piper

Me too, I'm not sure it's the right way of doing things but I have a feeling I'll fall behind at some point and I feel like this will stop me getting too disillusioned.

On the other hand, being ahead of the target might encourage me to fall even further behind, knowing that I can afford more. Ah, I don't know. I'll see how I get on today and consider what the best approach is.

9. The Piper

I've had my fun, time to be sensible about this. Super productive day today, but did my part in the morning so I've spent this afternoon feeling particularly UN-productive. Might do more later, who knows, but I think I can call it a day there and be happy with an evening off.

Really broken my main character now and got her into the main business of the plot, time for her to start fighting back against me, we'll see who wins! Rest assured I'll keep throwing horrible things at her until one of us gives up!

Running total: 19,425
    Target for tomorrow: 21,000

marshipan likes this.
  10. The Piper

Made it! Bit of a struggle today and I think I might cut one of the shorter scenes, but I'm over the line and the story's really starting to go somewhere.

Running total: 21, 646
    Target for tomorrow: 22,500

DeviouSquirrel likes this.
  11. The Piper

Nothing again today. Bumping up my target just a little for tomorrow so I keep some momentum going but I won't stretch it too far. No pressure, I've got all the time in the world. Might not feel like it, but I guess there's no rush.

Running total: 21,646
    Target for tomorrow: 23,000

marshipan likes this.
  12. The Piper

Don't have much to say about today's progress except it happened.

Running total: 23,540
    Target for tomorrow: 25,000

marshipan likes this.
  13. The Piper

Running total: 24,941
    Target for tomorrow: 26,500

Just missed it. Got the rest of chapter four all planned out though so it should be an easy one from here.