1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Aug 26, 2008.

I just finished watching the last DVD of Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Legend of Aang for the British version.) I was floored! I loved it! I thought the agni kai between Zuko and Azula was beautiful! The music they played during the agni kai was sad, poignant, and haunting. The insanity of Azula was… disturbing and brilliant at the same time. When Aang finally fights the Fire Lord and does not kill him, but instead takes away his bending power, I was on the edge of the bed!

It was beautiful, just beautiful.

Aang has been my hero ever since I starting watching. The weight of the world on his shoulders, the responsibility of being the crossroads of four different cultures, and still he’s a totally lovable goof! That is so Zen. I’m in love with his story.

I have loved the entire series, and I have to say that I spent money I didn’t have to buy the whole set on DVD.

Anyone else?

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

AVATAR THE LAST AIR BENDER IS AWESOME!

That is my view on it.

3. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

ive never seen it. is it an anime?

4. Kratos

Kratos New Member

It's really awesome! It's an american anime.

Zuko is just...pwnly.

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

ZUKO IS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER! (enough said)

6. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I remember when this came on a few years back. I never got into it, but from what I saw it was a pretty damn good show. Kinda reminds me of Trigun, just without guns. lol

7. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

I love this show...so much.
    I can't wait to get the new DVD. just waiting for some more cash to get in.

8. Wreybies

Ok, man. 'Splain me what pwnly means! :confused::D

9. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

pwnly is internet slang for awesome/"beastly"/amazing type thing..

10. Wreybies

Ok, I'm good with that, but I need a pronounciation. There are no vowels, only vowel-like semi-consonants :eek:

11. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Usually pronounced like "owned" with a "p" at the front. "Powned"

12. Wreybies

Ahhhh! Thank you. I've heard the word but thought it was spelled pone/poned. :rolleyes:

13. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Well if you pronounce the "one" like you would in "bone" or "tone", then the pronounciation is very much the same.

14. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

It was a pretty good series (I watched it off and on). My daughter absolutely enjoyed it. She said she was a little let down by the last show/movie in the series, but overall one of her favorite programs. She has the DVDs.

My older daughter's significantly younger (three year old) sister calls it "Tar". As in, "Sister, can I watch Tar too?"

Terry

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Avatar has made me lose my manhood more then once.
    Many episodes just make me cry because they are so sad.

AVATAR IS AWESOME! (sorry I just really love this series. I have to finish the third season though.)

16. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

:eek: And I thought I was the only Avatar fan! Go AVATAR!

I think I knew Aang would not kill the Firelord, he was being all 'I can't, can't'...blah. I didn't like that part. I believe in real life one has to be decisive in some cases, and technically you can't take someone's bending away :rolleyes: But yes, the fight between Zuko and Azula was beautiful. I real enjoyed Azula's insanity too - never thought it would come that way. Though, for the record, I love Iroh. :D He wasn't emphasized much, but his wisdom rocks. The order of the white lotus - cool! I was really crushed when Zuko went to apologize to Iroh. It made me cry!

But for all I know, the episodes played with my emotions. I couldn't wait to see the next! I still remember how much I laughed during 'The Ember Island Players'. Awesome parodies and character development.

I have every single episode of Avatar ATM. :D 60 episodes, with the unaired pilot already seen. Awesomeness!

17. penhobby

penhobby New Member

I have to say I loved the end, it was just amazing. The fight between Aang and the fire lord was epic. He beat this kid down over and over and then right as he was about to kill him ...Nope not going to say anymore, but it was cool.

I have been watching this 'incognito' with my kids for a while, but they discovered just how much mommy loved it when I started screaming and yelling in the end.

18. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Online it looks like from a lot of fans that the movie adaptation is terrible. It's a shame.

19. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

I've never seen it, but I did notice I can watch the first few seasons on Netflix, so I think I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

20. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

I loved this show to pieces. It was a brilliant anime with well-written characters who had true personalities. And all of this in a "kid's" show.

The new movie however... M. Night Shyama-whatever can go to hell. He destroyed it.

21. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

It's more of a cartoon with anime-esque aesthetics, but made by producers who were fans of Chinese culture.

I love Avatar. My friend and I are going to see the movie in theaters on Wednesday. We figure that even if the movie sucks, we can snark on it later.

I was actually disappointed that the series is pretty much over.

The thing I was most amazed of was the fullness of the fantasy world.

But, one of my favorite parts was when the earth king introduces the Gaang to his bear, and Katara's actually surpised that it's not a hybrid of a bear and another animal.

22. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Loved the series. It had nice complex characters.

I loved Zuko(not just because he uses dual swords either.) But I loved how he is on the fense between good and evil. He can do some horrible things, but he can also do great. I also enjoy his motive for tracking down Aang and how he learns that in the end only he can restore his honor and no one else. The fight between him and his sister(who is another great character and loved how they made her go insane) He was fun to watch.

Sokka. I loved how he starts off as the comic relief. He has not much importance other then that. But slowly you learn he has the potential to be a great engineer, a master with swords, and a strategist. He was really fun to watch too.

Of course I could go on about all the other characters but Zuko and Sokka are by far my favorite.

To bad M. Night Shyamalan made such a disaster of a movie. I have yet to see it but it seems like everyone hates it.

EDIT: I just remembered something! Apparently there is supposed to be a new Avatar series called Avatar: Legend of Korra. Not sure what it's about but its supposed to take place 100 years after Last Airbender. :D

23. Wreybies

I've not seen he first of the three movies yet.

I will actually probably wait until video release. Not that I don't care to see the movies that much, more that I want to be able to actually watch them without distraction.

24. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

I saw the movie in 3D two days ago. I was disappointed, and I am a big fan of the series. I enjoy good movies, and I just didn't think The Last Airbender was a good one. The story felt rushed (I know it had to be condensed, but they practically made the world smaller) and sloppy.

It was my first 3D movie, and it was neat at first, but after a while the details that I woud have noticed were blurred by the glasses and my eyes began to hurt. See it in 2D if you will see it.

Fan to fan, it was just heartbreaking. :-( Look at IMDB or rotten tomatoes. Baaad reviews. Good show though!!!

25. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I'm curious about how bad it is, but I don't want to contribute in paying for something that probably shouldn't be payed for. I had just started the anime this year.