Tags:
  1. soulfart

soulfart New Member

The latest lunatic.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by soulfart, Jul 1, 2019.

Hello, my name is soulfart.

While I do write, I don't consider myself a writer. At times I find it necessary to put down words on paper.. sometimes I try to do this in a contrived way, (which rarely turns out well,) but for the most part it is simply a by-product of my being.

In the past, I have referred to it as spiritual excrement. Hence the name. It's just a natural and necessary 'bodily' function of my spirit. I have scattered about my habitat the detritus of this function in the form of journals, scrawled upon pieces of scrap paper, long forgotten and buried .txt files in the depths of the terabyte ocean, and have recently taken to reading them for the first time since writing them. To my surprise some of them are pretty enjoyable and cathartic to read - while others are only captivating for their sheer ludicrousness.

I thought it might be fun to share some of these things while also reading the work of others, and enjoying an environment of free flowing creativity. I thoroughly enjoy fantasy books, sci fi, and cerebral works of fiction. I can on occasion enjoy a non-fiction book if it induces a feeling of wonder within me about a certain topic.

I guess most of my 'writing' would be classified as poetry, prose, or memoirs but my genre is a mystery.
    If there was a choice in the drop down menu for "Ravings of a mad man" I would have chosen that but for the sake of these forums I will consider myself a mystery writer in that it is a veritable mystery what I'm writing as I write it. I will do my best to post in the appropriate forums. I'm more interested in hearing peoples responses and reactions to what was written rather than critique though you are more than welcome to do so, and it may well help to mold me into a more articulate mad man.

TLDR; I am here to read and be inspired and enjoy a creative and accepting environment while sharing some of the words I have written which I have found interesting to read years after writing them. Maybe I will write some things.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi there, farting soul. I'm one of the moderators here. Welcome to the forum!

You seem to be the sort who finds writing easy to do. Maybe the results aren't always literary perfection, but you seem to find it a natural way to express yourself, rather than a chore. That's a great start. I like that you also recognise the ...ephemeral? ...nature of the process. I suppose it's a lot like thinking, really. We think all the time, but only some of our thoughts seem worthy of keeping and/or exploring further. Not every thought is a gem! Some are just ...erm ...farts?

Have you got any goals as a writer? Any way you see yourself changing in that respect? Do you want to evolve from somebody who writes essentially for yourself into somebody who writes to communicate with others?

Anyway, before you go further on the forum, I would urge you to read this link. New Member Quick Start It's set up to get new members off on the right foot.

It's especially important if—as you've indicated—you intend to put your work up for critique. (Incidentally, critique, for forum purposes, is the same as 'feedback' and 'reaction.') There is only one place on the forum that you are allowed to post your own work, and that is in our Workshop area. However, before you can do that, there are a few time/post requirements you must meet. These are detailed in the New Member Start Guide. So please do read it.

Feel free to explore around the forum, and enter into conversations and make comments wherever the mood strikes you. The more you interact with people here, the more you'll get to know us and we'll get to know you. Feel free to visit the Workshop section, and do a few critiques of any pieces that interest you. If you're not sure what 'critiques' are all about, try reading this comprehensive link:
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

If you want to learn how we operate, this is another good link to become familiar with : Forum Rules

Anyway, take your time and have fun. If you encounter any problems, feel free to contact me by clicking on my owl avatar, and 'start a conversation' with me. I'll do my best to help.

If you want to know the other Moderators better, here's a link to our bios, although there are a couple who haven't created bios yet.
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/staff.68/

Mods can also be found listed at the bottom of the Community page, in the 24-hour visitors section. We are the ones whose names appear in yellow or red.

Cheers for now,

Jan

soulfart likes this.