The Learn to Play the Guitar in Under One Hour thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OurJud, Jun 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Guess you're right.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Just checked and it is indeed Guitar Tuna I’m using.

3. OurJud

I learned to play the first few bars / chorus / riff / whatever from a few songs today; Summer Nights (from Grease), Smoke on the Water, Faded (by Alan Walker - never heard it before but pleasant enough), and Satisfaction.

But I'm kidding myself really. These are all versions played on a single string and single fretting finger. I did try some chord lessons but my fingers won't co-operate in the slightest. Then I tried some finger picking techniques and that was even more disastrous!

4. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Guitar is all about scales and nothing else. If you can play scales, you can play anything. I know it sounds arrogant to put it like that but it is a truth that could save you years if not decades of delusional theory before coming back to scales. Scales are straight forward and repetitive but you will soon find every riff or tune you ever heard unfold before your ears.

Love playing my JD supernatural active bass.

OurJud likes this.
  5. OurJud

This is very interesting. I won't pretend I know what you're talking about exactly, but I'll definitely be looking into it.

Richach likes this.
  6. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

We eagerly anticipate the cellphone photo of you holding a set of scales with weight measurements on them, saying "WHAT THE HELL!? THIS CANT BE WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!"

OurJud likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You start with pieces of the chord and then add strings after you get the fractions. Play chords using just the bottom (thinner) strings, G, B, hi E.

C chord: 0 1 0
    G: 0 3 3
    E: 1 0 0
    Am: 2 1 0
    D: 2 3 2

D will be the toughest because you have to fret all three strings. But try those mini chords, strumming down and up at a constant rhythm, no matter how slow. It's the changes you have to get down.

You're practicing at least 30mins a day, right? If not, don't bother.

OurJud likes this.
  8. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

It's all about motivation. If you keep plugging away and having fun you'll get there soon enough.

Steve Rivers and OurJud like this.
  9. OurJud

The only thing I have energy for when I get home from work is falling asleep in front of the TV, so no. But I put in more than 30m a day over the weekends.
    Right, whoa back!

'C chord: 0 1 0'

What does this mean? Do you mean 'open, 1st fret, open' ? I think I've probably misunderstood what's meant by a chord. Either that or I'm wrongly assuming a chord can't be played on a single fret. I thought a chord was when you held down at least two different strings at once?

Oh, wait. You did specify this was 'pieces' of a chord. Okay, I think I get it. So should I be strumming all six strings when I do this exercise?

Steve Rivers likes this.
  10. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

A chord is simply a group of notes that is played simultaneously.
    Only play the strings that sound good as part of the chord. So probably not.
    Edit: Those chords that Homer gave are to be played on the highest three strings. Three separate strings. 0 fret g-string, 1st fret b-string, 0 fret e-string, at the same time.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    OurJud likes this.
  11. OurJud

What's the o fret??

12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Open string. No one calls it the 0-fret though.

OurJud likes this.
  13. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I just found a very good fingerpicking tutorial for beginners. Check it out. Perhaps you can blend it with the chords Homer suggested to make it funkier. :)

OurJud and Homer Potvin like this.
  14. Homer Potvin

I should note, if you want to learn fingerpicking, LEARN THE RIGHT WAY USING ALL FIVE FINGERS AT THE BEGINNING!! I learned using my thumb and two fingers when I was 12 because it was easier and now I'm fucked for life. 30 years later I still can't unlearn the wrong habit.

15. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

It's not the right way to fingerpick with all 5 fingers. I mean you could if that's what's more convenient but it also depends on the pattern and how you wish to entone it. The guy plays this pattern correctly. Wait a sec. I'll try playing it on guitar to see... Okay, played it. I see what you mean, but this is a decent way to play this, because it's easier at that speed and later on, when he is going to move his thumb to the lower strings for songs that demand 5 string patterns, it's usually the thumb that plays the two lower strings. Usually, not always. It has to do mostly with convenience. I play with four fingers whichever pattern because... it just works. (Superfast fingers! :p) I thought everyone (except flamingo players perhaps) played with 4 fingers. Idk. In order to use the little finger it has to be something extremely rare and complicated. A weird upstroke amidst fingerpicking or something. Just tried that as well and figured that even that I do with the ring finger... Actually, who plays with the little one? :p

Homer Potvin likes this.
  16. Homer Potvin

Classical guitar players and some jazz. The pinky is forgiveable.

I don't bother anymore. I'll hybrid pick like Jimmy Page if needed, like the Lemon Song.

Malisky likes this.
  17. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Depends on the style. I think country players use it sometimes for chicken pickin', and jazz players probably use it sometimes. Classical technique frowns on it, although I guess you could grow out your pinkie nail super long. Never seen that before though.

Malisky likes this.
  18. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

Very good. So, check back a few pages in this thread and you can see that you’ve made progress already! :cheerleader:

In the early stages it tends to be the physical challenges that dominate attention: coordination, hand strength, fingertip resilience etc. In subsequent stages you may find the balance of focus shifts towards creative, theoretical, or even philosophical aspects. I.e. once you’re comfortable with how to play the instrument, you may start to focus more on what to play and why. In all of this, my advice is to keep in mind that it's really about your ear, your powers of aural discrimination, your listening ability. All of the technical and theoretical expertise in the world won’t help if your ear remains undeveloped. So, when you’re next playing Summer Nights or Smoke on the Water, take a few moments to make a conscious effort to listen closely to the sound you’re producing.

19. OurJud

But you just did. That's why I asked what it was.
    I'm not altogether clear.

Does this mean the only fretting I do for this chord is on the 1st fret b-string, but that I must strum the g and e strings also?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  20. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Oh, sorry. I was just clarifying my use of the word as non-standard.
    Yep, you got it.

OurJud likes this.
  21. Homer Potvin

Yes, sir. Next week we'll teach you tap harmonics.

22. OurJud

I definitely prefer the electric guitar. Seems far more forgiving. I was trying the Satisfaction riff on the acoustic and couldn't get it. Moved to the electric with lots of gain for that dirty sound and I squealed with delight it sounded so good! I don't know if it's the smaller body allowing me to see more of what I'm doing, but I just find it easier to hit my frets on the electric. You've also got that slide benefit going on, too. I can go from 2 to 4 to 5, but I can kind of slide right over 4 to 5 and I still get the two notes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  23. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Electric is definitely more gratifying in the early stages of playing. The decay rate of the notes with gain is just damn sexy. It's not so apparent with acoustic, but your ear will learn to like it for a host of different reasons. I would recommend playing whatever you learn on both guitars. Acoustic will give you a true sound that will help develop your ear. I am not suggesting you have to double your work rate but once you have it down, give it a whirl on the other. That way your learning two for one!

24. OurJud

Funnily enough this is exactly what I've been doing. I get it down on acoustic until I'm familiar enough, then switch to my authentic Les Paul copy and give it a whirl on there.

25. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Electric is just more fun, especially with distortion. Acoustic doesn't compare in a visceral sense. However, I think the two compliment each other. It's easy for me to kick on a distortion pedal and just wail on the electric, but to play acoustic well requires an entirely different skillset. Acoustic is also very fun and very simple. No cables or power outlets required. Just me and a guitar out on the porch or wherever.
    Just out of curiosity, what amp are you using?

pyroglyphian and OurJud like this.