1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

The list

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by deadrats, Aug 15, 2018.

So, I'm working on a short story and in the story there is a list that is referenced by characters and also talked about in the general narrative. It's sort of like the top ten most popular songs kind of list. It's important to my story that the list exists, but do I need to list what's on the list? Do I need to actually name the top ten most popular songs? Or is it enough to just mention this sort of lists exists? It's sort of a how-to list at the same time so if I were to go into each item on the list it would take a while and also be a bit distracting or a sidetrack to the actual plot of the story and what's going on. But I'm not sure if it seems stupid to have a list in a story and never actually spell out what's on that list. Would you list what's on the list?

2. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Some lists only get populated when they come up ;)

3. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Contributor Contributor

Yeah, the Ferengi always find natural, rational ways/opportunities to remind people of their almighty list of rules.

John Calligan likes this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yup. Just reading your post I want to see the list. Or parts of the list. The Ferengi are a good example. If you keep mentioning the list and don't toss me a bone I'll be like, "Hey, where's the fucking list, rats?"

deadrats and DK3654 like this.