1. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

First post.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by JetBlackGT, Mar 17, 2013.

It all began innocently enough.

I was at work, making hinges and washers for a military contract and the work itself was stupefyingly boring and frequently frustrating, at moments when the machine would inexplicably cease to make a good part. Don't get me wrong. It would continue to spew out parts, just not good ones and not fixable either.

While the machine was acting right, I would fantasize about this story, in my head. I'd add plot lines and characters and imagine it as a book. It helped to pass the time and I was actually able to do my part of the manufacturing process MUCH faster, while keeping my brain busy with this story. Eventually I decided to sit down and actually WRITE the parts I had completed in my head, on a computer and see what happened.

I started writing in earnest, 17 weeks ago. It started as writing on weekends only but eventually, whether I was seated at the computer or not, I was writing. In my head, on scrap paper, a quick idea, here and there, on a post it note, on my hand; that sort of thing.

I can now see I have made a huge mistake :) After 119,000 words and 342 pages, I managed to wrap it up. Unfortunately, there are at least four more books that need to be written to truly finish up this story line.

I truly wish I had thought to look for this site, earlier! :) It is not too late to learn! I am on week one of concerted editing and not attempting to add more pages.

For my first question; does anyone else's back hurt if they write for 6-10 hours? It's not lower back, it's all up, between my shoulders and also above the shoulder blades! I know I am a whiny baby, but after about 4 hours, I drape a heating pad over my back and it helps a lot. My abs are definitely not weak and sit ups/crunches have not helped this issue. Should I elevate my monitor? Lean back in the chair, instead of sitting up all "proper" and good-posture-y? I'm 6'2" so it is difficult to even get my stilts... I mean LEGS, under the computer table, without leaning my knees to the side :meh:

Thanks for any comments,
    David

2. Xatron

Xatron New Member

In my case it is my knees that hurt after sitting for many hours straight, but i heard stretches help with back aches.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's vital to have a good, body-fitting chair set at a comfortable height... if you need a higher table/desk, then put some books under the feet and raise it...

make sure the screen is at eye-level and the keyboard is at a comfortable angle, so your arms don't tire...

when working for hours at a time, get up and shake body out every once in a while, whenever your back or neck start to stiffen up... you can also work your shoulders, arms, and hands out while sitting...

do all that and you should be able to sit at your computer and work 12 hours or more every day, like i still can, even at 74...

4. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

I will start by moving my monitor up. A lot! the top of it is about level with my chin. :( Fail.

Now look at me. I just posted on Facebook, this morning, about the relative uselessness of paper phone books and now I need two!