1. Olaf Blunk

Olaf Blunk Member

The long writer's road to Hollywood - digitally shortened

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Olaf Blunk, Jan 8, 2017.

Hello guys,

I have fantastic news for all those dreaming to get realized their movie scripts one day:

I found 5 "pitch directly to hollywood executives"-websites on the web, who - although costly - provide a very straightforward service in order to contact film professionals and send them query letters and screenplays.

Here there are:

Virtual Pitch Fest

The Black List

Spec Scout

Sell A Script

Ink Tip

I hope that this post will expand by experiences regarding these sites by the fellow readers of it, establishing a discussion about whether the sites really fulfil the promise of kicking the door wide open to Hollywood.

As far as I´m informed right now Virtual Pitch Fest is the only website that guarantees responses from studios. It seems to be affordable alongside with The Black List, while membership at Ink Tip on the other hand requires a WGA membership which is more than costly.

Talking about Spec Scout you´re in the 300 $-section, but it really seems to care to improve your script since you don´t have to pay anything if they grade your script high. Finally Sell A Script provides a unique service called "Writer's Rolodex" where you get contact information for over 4.000 Production Companies but are otherwise left on your own with it.

So, does Ridley Scott's dark vision "Alien" finally come true, talking to the space computer in order to answer all questions essential for survival just by typing in the right ones?

Let´s hope, that it´s not the case, hope to hear from you guys before I link myself with these communication beasts...

Olaf

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I've not viewed the links, but for me anything that charges writers upfront to submit manuscripts is likely to be little more than a con.

send me your manuscript and some cash and you might hear back from a studio but then again you might not .... yeah... um... right.

My advice is spend the cash on beer and ladies of negotiable virtue, as you'll have the same chance of getting produced and have more fun in the processe

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Olaf Blunk

Olaf Blunk Member

Well, I respect your opinion, since art should be free, on the other side I see your "nothing is nothing"-attitude as a periodical thing, since you don´t write scripts in order to have some letters more typed in your computer. Then again, who knows?

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A good agent will take their payment as a percentage of your advance/royalty/payment for rights after they have secured you a deal. It's not about 'not paying, its about not paying up front