1. Ives

Ives New Member

Hands down, your favorite book EVER

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ives, Jan 5, 2009.

I started this just because I need something to read.
    I am toying with the idea of Catcher in the Rye

But its gotta be Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
    Blew me away.

Please share =D

2. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I can't choose a favorite book, but I can choose a favorite series.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Amazing series. Also Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the first 6 books of Wheel of Time and American Gods.

3. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I doubt that I'd ever by able to choose a specific book. If I had to choose a series, it would definately by Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels. Out of these, the top contenders for my favorite book would be Inca Gold, Atlantis Found, or Shock Wave. At the same time, I'd also have to say that Deception Point and any of James Rollins SIGMA series would also be in their. Too hard a choice for me! I tend to read entire series', not just individual books.

4. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I haven't read many books in my time like I should, so my favorite right now is Order of the Phoenix.

5. Mello

Mello New Member

i haven't been up on my book reading...
    but probably Stephen King's The Stand. I read it at a very impressionable stage and it's the most eminently re-readable book I've ever come across and I guess those are probably the biggest criterias.

6. jwilder

jwilder New Member

Back Home by Marjorie... .something-something. It's a juevenile literature piece about a girl in post-WWII who was sent from Britain to the US during the Blitz, returns 7 years later to a post-war Britain and has to re-learn how to be British after essentially growing up American. Adjusting to the more formal British society of the 40's, boarding school, the accent, renewing acquaintance with her mother and father, meeting her little brother for the first time, etc. Just an amazing story that I read so often I could quote entire chapters from memory. I still read it now and again just because I still enjoy the story, and reading it brings back happy memories from my own childhood.

7. ozymandias

ozymandias New Member

The Amber Spyglass, third part of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.

8. JGraham

JGraham New Member

It is a hard choice. I love all of Michael Crichton's books so...

I would have to choose Next By Michael Crichton

9. Cady36

Cady36 Member

Oh gosh. I read so many books that it'd be impossible to pick one. I read all genres, but scifi/fantasy is usually what knocks my socks off, so I'll list a few of those.

In no particular order:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
    Hyperion - Dan Simmons
    Blood Music - Greg Bear

Weirdly, I randomly chose those three on the same trip to a used bookstore. Was a lucky reading by.

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
    The Earthsea trilogy - Ursula Leguin
    Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury
    Wizard of the Pigeons - Megan Lindholm (she writes as Robin Hobbs, now, and those books are OK, but I loved this book.)

I'll stop now. I could go on for days. lol

Cady

10. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

only one choice...

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

11. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

The Liar by Stephen Fry. F**cking funniest book I've ever read.

12. Spook

Spook New Member

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. By far the most captivating book I have ever read.

13. laurelin

laurelin New Member

I'm sorry, but you really do need to read more if your favourite book is Harry Potter =P I can understand if you're young, since those books are intended for children (sorry to anyone who wants to argue against this - it's a fact), but in the fantasy genre alone there is MUCH better stuff out there. I'd recommend The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, to start with.

14. bobvinvent

bobvinvent New Member

Joyce's "Ulysses" . Just brilliant- funny, perceptive and human.

15. Sammy

Sammy New Member

I have a lot of favourite books and like scarecrow i love Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books.
    But my absolute favourite book would have to be the Never Ending Story but Michael Ende. I haven't read it in a while but i used to love it and I love the imagery in it and all the stories intertwined. I read it three times in a row once.

16. Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood New Member

I don't really have a favorite book. I enjoyed the Myst trilogy (books, obviously) and I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy five-part trilogy. So many...

17. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Dante's Divine Comedy. I've read it multiple times in three translations, and every reading reveals something new and provides a new avenue for thought.

Brandon Sanderson's Elantris is my favourite modern novel.

18. Corpsetastic

Corpsetastic Active Member

IT - Stephen King, i never stop thinking about it, such a great story. I also love Dracula. I love so many but these two right now are my favourites.

19. zorell

zorell New Member

ROMEO :D

It's a crime thriller about a serial killer who takes his victims on dates, their swan song is always Rhapsody in Blue, and he leaves the previous victim's heart in a gift box.

I am mad that I lost my prereleased copy and have forgotten the author- but that is always my favorite because it's the only book I have ever read ten times:)

EDIT: Amazon.com told me:) Elise Title If you go on Amazon, it'll provide pretty sizable excerpt:)mad:)

20. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

We do have opinions for a reason, you know. ;)

I can't decide between House (Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker) and Skin (Dekker). On the whole, I liked Skin better, but the ending was downright horrible...

21. Plushii

Plushii New Member

I don't read as much as I should, but my favorite book is either My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult or Flowers for Algernon...whose author's name escapes me at the moment.

Both books absolutely moved almost to the point of tears. My Sister's Keepr was had lots of unexpected twists and turns in it (Or at least I thought they were unexpected...I never was good at predicting things). Flowers for Algernon, albeit a bit more predictive, was extremely touching.

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult might be another favorite, but I never finished it because I was frightened by how much I related to Peter. I'll definitely have to pick that book up again though.

22. Arfur

Arfur New Member

Tom Clancy - The Hunt for Red October

The book that first made me like reading.

23. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Either Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier or Inkspell but Cornelia Funke (second book in the Inkheart series which is an amazing series)
    Both are fantay type stories, but they aren't cheesy fluffly fantasy. They both have very complex plots that I get totally lost in. They are jsut amazing books.

24. Zcreative

Zcreative New Member

The Angel Experiment -- James Patterson

or

Prey -- Michael Crichton

25. Metaphor

Metaphor New Member

Anything by Ray Bradbury.

I'm reading Farewell Summer at the moment, which I think is going to end up ranking high, high up there when I'm finished with it, if it's not already.