1. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Announcement The Medal Situation (discussion)

Discussion in 'Writing Contests' started by big soft moose, Aug 13, 2019.

Hi everyone, over the last week or so I/we have had a number of conversations about this with some of you, and more on other threads, so I thought it would be useful to try and answer some common questions and also to provide one central place where this can be discussed without hijacking other threads.

The current situation is this:

The mod team cannot award medals, nor can contest admins. The only people who can are Wreybies and Daniel. I realise that not having your medals awarded is frustrating, but taking that frustration out on mods or contest admins will not get you anywhere since we literally cannot award them since the software will not let us.

Wreybies is taking a break for personal reasons. Daniel has not posted for the last two weeks, and has been unresponsive for requests for help with this for a month or more. The mod team are trying everything we can to get in touch with Daniel, but until he comes back to us we are powerless to resolve the situation.

A number of people have suggested that the power to award medals should be delegated. This is a good idea in principle but there are two issues with this.

a) Only Daniel can delegate this power, and obviously it can't be done until we get hold of him, and

b) The way the software works means that to award medals you have to have access to the Admin control panel which also gives control over a lot of other areas of the site (such as creating and removing mods, and hard deleting content), it would not be simple to separate awarding medals from these other tasks, so clearly any forum owner would be cautious about who is given access to those controls. This means it is not likely that access will ever be given to normal mods or to contest admins. When we are able to contact Daniel we will discuss options around this with him and see what can be done.

In the interim period we are keeping a running list of who has been awarded what here https://www.writingforums.org/threads/medal-backlog.163019/ If you are waiting for a medal please make sure that your name is on that list.

Apart from that please be patient, yes it is frustrating, the moderators share that frustration, but getting angry with us isn't going to help anything.

If you want to discuss the situation or ask questions about it please do so on this thread

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Shenanigator, Mish and jannert like this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale The third pronunciation of "potato" Staff Supporter Contributor

Iain chiming in here, I'm in 100% agreement with everything @big soft moose said here.

To be completely honest, it pisses me off that Daniel won't run his forum or give the authority to someone to do so. Puerto Rico is on the verge of civil insurrection; Wreybies has got much more important things to do than worry about us.

In the mod team, we divide up the work, and I'm the guy who volunteered to take over most of the contest-related stuff. It wasn't the short straw when I stepped up; I've entered a number of contests (though none since becoming a mod, which is a discussion for when things have stabilized) and I thought I had a good handle on what contestants expected.

One of those things is medals. Napoleon Bonaparte said "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon," and the pixelized form of that is the only thing we as writers have to show that we've earned the respect of our peers here. My two medals may be the closest thing I'll ever have to being published, and if I was still waiting for them, I'd be livid.

It's a fucking disgrace, and if there was anything we could do to fix the situation that we're not already doing, believe me, we would be.

Shenanigator, Mish and jannert like this.
  3. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Let me chew on your criticism a bit. Contributor

77 sq. miles of American PC surrounded by reality
    Thanks to both of you for your open responses. I understand your frustrations and obviously you are in a difficult spot and trying to do your best.

From another perspective, when I taught legal writing and when I was an editor, I changed the color of my official comments from red to green or blue -- perhaps as residue from elementary school, red always has a sort of hostile and corrective tone; I suggest you guys do the same. And bold tends to come across as a sort of judgmental shouting; I'd suggest you guys refrain from that. We're all equals here, you guys have simply taken on the dubious distinction of trying to moderate it all. Thanks again for that.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I, too am disturbed by recent developments. I have more than simple writing and discussion interests in this forum. I can only praise and encourage the active mods for stepping up. I am watching... wait, is there already a proper place for this issue? In Supporters Forum? I'll start something there if not, unless there's a better place. Hang in there and Godspeed.

Shenanigator likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

To be honest the absent owner is not a new development - at one time there was a Daniel spotting thread in the lounge - the reason its suddenly become an issue is that wrey is having to take a break and with Daniel disappearing to effect regime change in small latin American countries for the CIA (or wherever he goes) it leaves our hands tied on admin issues.

If you want to discuss a wider situation than just medals, support and feedback rather than the supporter forum is probably the place... but please don't, every moment we spent explaining that we can't action xyz because abc is another moment not spent on effective forum management, or on our actual lives beyond the confines of the forum.

(incidentally I am using dark green for mod speak instead of dark red as some members have said red gives an unpleasant school teacher vibe)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Shenanigator likes this.
  6. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Contributor Contributor

'scuse me if this is an improper suggestion and please feel free to delete this post but; I think that you just want to alter a graphic in a web page to include color changes in a few pixels. I can't promise anything without doing some research, but it doesn't sound all that tough to me. May I be of help?

7. big soft moose

Thanks for the offer, Unfortunately its not quite that simple. Actually creating the medals isnt the problem - loading them on to the award system which awards them to the appropriate member, and creates the link to the winning piece of work, requires access to the admin control panel.

As things stand only Wrey and Daniel have such access ... short of hacking their accounts there is no way of our gaining that access until one or the other of them returns (and in fact it has to be Daniel since although wrey has the access himself he cannot assign it to anyone else)

8. big soft moose

For anyone who hasn't noticed, our new admin, Komposten has awarded all the outstanding medals, and has this in hand going forward....

9. Mish

Mish Active Member

Just an FYI, there is an outstanding medal for Flash Fiction Contest #70

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale The third pronunciation of "potato" Staff Supporter Contributor

Bumping @Komposten

He's the only one who can award the medals, has been a bit busy in the last couple days, but it'll get there. And congratulations!

Mish likes this.
  11. Mish

Mish Active Member

Thank you Iain, I appreciate it!

Iain Aschendale likes this.