The Not Happy Thread - Continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Yeah, it seems everybody has to be an extremist now on one side or the other. What happened to balance?

2. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

Provocative opinions, well-informed or not, make better click-bait in our era, unfortunately.

Personally, I'm too fond of the trope of characters traveling to faraway lands to have much empathy for most complaints about "forced diversity" in fictional media. Some of these guys get upset whenever they see a single person of color in a setting otherwise dominated by White people. While it's probably true that a medieval Scottish village would have a different demographic makeup from a modern American metropolis, having a few foreigners traveling to or even settling in that village doesn't seem so impossible to me. People have always traveled. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, it's not like there isn't already a ton of fiction where White dudes have adventures in regions of the world where the native people aren't White. It only seems fair to me that the same courtesy be extended to characters of color.

AntPoems and Xoic like this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm so hungry it hurts.

4. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Sending virtual cheese your way...

Seven Crowns and deadrats like this.
  5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Ham and pineapple pizzas should be banned.

Xoic likes this.
  6. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

I confess, I kind of like it on occasion. The weirdness is appealing. Plus, I freakin love pineapple.

deadrats likes this.
  7. Naomasa298

There are lots of things one can do with pineapples, some printable and some not. But pizza ain't one of them.

It's like putting fruit in curries (jackfruit excepted, for vegetarians).

Heck, I haven't even got my head round bacon with maple syrup yet.

8. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Speaking of Lee Enterprises, they are mentioned in this article about Dilbert: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11235995/Dilbert-comic-strip-canned-77-newspapers-artist-Scott-Adams-included-anti-woke-plotlines.html

Catriona Grace and Xoic like this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
  10. Naomasa298

Apparently, people with missing limbs aren't "one-armed" or "one-legged" (or zero thereof). They are people with upper or lower "limb differences".

Yeeeeeeeeeeeearrrgh! Anyone calls me that, and I might introduce my different limb to their gluteus maximus.

11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Lol, you could put your foot in somebody's ass and just leave it there (assuming you have a spare).

[​IMG]

Might get expensive though.

12. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Given this task to oversee...

1. I need numbers
    2. The person who is supposed to give me the numbers needs to be trained. So she needs to set up a time to meet with the tech person to learn how to run the report to get me the numbers
    3. I finally get the numbs and make changes.
    4. I have to send the changes to 5 different people to see if the changes are doable, and then wait for their report.
    5. Finally recieve all their reports and make the final change
    6. But wait, someone wants to add something. So i go back to the five people to see if its doable. (It is).
    7. The designer is making the changes and getting it ready to print. Tech stuff is happening to try to update the website with the new info.
    8. Final changes before its sent to print.
    Boss to me: it just seems like you're taking too long with this....

Someone please hit me with a bus right now....:dead:

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  13. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

The Mrs. couldn’t resist buying a package of kababs from Sam’s club. To be polite: they were not good. Flavorless stew meat on a stick. Granted, they were quite large. But they were so not good, even my dogs walked away from the pieces of meat I saved them. Eventually they ate the meat, but I’m thinking it was either only so the cats couldn’t get it, or to not seem rude.

14. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I have a customer at the store who insists on pointing out how inspiring it is to see the ‘differently abled’ working and leading normal lives just like everyone else. I’m not differently abled. I am old and out of warranty.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  15. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

If you're soliciting hit men with buses, get one to clip your boss. Her recovery period in the hospital should give you time to finish the job.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  16. J.T. Woody

I got tired using my laptop like desktop and decided to cave and take it to get the keyboard fixed.

Only thing is, i am now without a computer for the next few days.... And it just so happens that i am off work until saturday (prime time for writing!!?:supercry:)

Ugh... Tv...

17. Catriona Grace

Have you tried pen and paper?

18. J.T. Woody

My project(s) is on my computer. One in particular i was in the middle of editing:(

19. Catriona Grace

Obviously the universe wishes for you to write something new the old fashioned way. Don't mess with the desires of the universe, my dear.

Naomasa298 and J.T. Woody like this.
  20. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    My cat suddenly became very sick last night, and I thought that she might very well die.
    I switched the lights off as I went into my bedroom to go to sleep, lay down, and was about to throw the comforter over me, but there was a strong smell of cat food. I turned the lights on and found that my cat had vomited quite a lot onto my comforter, enough that it leaked all the way through to the mattress. And kitty was hiding between the bed and wall.

I cleaned it up and changed the sheets and everything, but kitty was still acting very strangely. I took her to the bathroom and put her in front of her water dish, and she drank a lot. But she remained acting strangely, listless, not responding to me. Constantly licking her lips, making smacking sounds with her mouth. And then she vomited all that water up and went hiding again. Very scary. I just stayed close to kitty while googling the symptoms as well as 24 hour emergency veterinary care. Tried the water again, but with the same result.

After a while, she started responding to me again, and I took her to get some more water. Drank like a fish, and kept it down this time. I kept watching her until 5am. She began acting normally once more, meowing at me and responding as per usual. I went to bed feeling like she would be okay, and she's still fine today. Eating, drinking, using the litterbox.

My cat is pretty old, but has always been very healthy. I am not sure what happened. The only thing that comes to mind is that she was poisoned by the new container of treats I bought recently. She hadn't had this particular kind for a few months, but had eaten them in the past without any problems. I wonder if there's a lab I can send a sample to or something to find out if they are toxic? Or perhaps she has since developed an allergy?

Anyway, it was a truly awful night, but kitty seems to be okay again, and I'm glad this is now over. My eyes are still a bit sore, though.

Suzuzu and J.T. Woody like this.
  21. Catriona Grace

Poor kitty. You might have her checked for diabetes.

22. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

That was one of the most likely diagnoses; the others were kidney or liver failure, or poisoning. I'm going to keep a close eye on her for symptoms, and if there's any further sickness, I need to find a vet who does house calls (she refuses to get in the cat carrier ever since I moved here. 1500km drive, can't blame her for it).

23. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    My cat had an intestinal blockage one time that cause some similar symptoms. Basically constipation gone concrete, but they gave her some laxatives and it cleared everything up pretty quickly.

24. Set2Stun

Oh yeah, that was another possible cause. I thought it unlikely because I feed her grass every day, but yeah that's no guarantee for clearing any blockages in the digestive system. I hope it was something like this and not a sign of disease.

25. Naomasa298

In much pain. The severed main nerve in my stump is randomly firing for no apparent reason.

Not happy.