The Not Happy Thread - Continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Sympathetic like, hope it gets better.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

:friend:So sorry to hear this.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  3. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Its nearly always the owners more than the breed - any dog can be dangerous to a small child, especially if its not well trained or if the child lacks supervision.

Pitbulls are banned in the uk, the last dog attack we had on a child was i think a malamute - which the owner had bought from a guy in a bar, knowing it was aggressive and badly trained, because he thought it made him look well 'ard

J.T. Woody likes this.
  5. Earp

Here in the US, they're essentially white trash status symbols. For every news story about children being killed by some dog other than a pitbull or pitbull mix, I'll be happy to provide twenty stories about pitbulls. It should be obvious by now that there is something wrong with the breed, and they should all be put down.

6. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It's even in the name. Pits are bred for aggression. They're not a pet meant for the average person at all and should be restricted accordingly.

Counter I've heard is that chihuahuas are easily as aggressive; sure, but they don't kill people.

My favourite story is the one where the pitbull jumped through a closed second story window to go after a passing dog. Jesus.
    https://www.nbc12.com/story/18575779/pit-bull-jumps-from-2nd-story-window-and-attacks-lab/
    Best quotes of 2012:

7. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

my sweet pitbull mix and i are judging you, too
    [​IMG]

8. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

My one nephew got attacked by a German Shepherd. My sister got attacked by a Husky when she was small. My other nephew had a pit bull, and she was the most affectionate, loving thing.

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Let's not devolve into our personal theories of dog breeds, please. I'm sure there are other social media outlets that would love to fuel that discussion. This ain't one of them. Thank you.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. Earp

OK. No more talk about children being murdered by their parents' stupidity. Check.

11. Earp

I'm sure she's a wonderful pup.

12. Catriona Grace

Not happy. Lost the afternoon of a beautiful day to migraine.

13. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

My lab puppy someway, somehow, sliced open the back of his foot over the weekend (i saw it sunday night when he was trying to lick away the blood).

Took him to the emergency vet yesterday and it was infected. So they clipped away the infected tissue and cleaned it and gave him antibiotics.... But were hesitant about closing it. So now its an open wound and im paranoid about it.

Hes wearing a cone until it heals, but hes also on antibiotics and "chill pills" so he wouldnt injure it further but he's so doped up he can hardly stand :(

My poor doggo!:supercry:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Set2Stun, love to read, Xoic and 2 others like this.
  14. Catriona Grace

Poor puppy.

If I had back all the money I've spent on vet bills, I'd have a lot more money, but would still be poorer.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

One of the worst parts of maturity is realizing that there are people who will not apologize for their wrongdoing and owe up to it, yet you are expected to do just that.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  16. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Another company changed their recipe.

There used to be some canned foods that were good enough to be staples in our family. B&M Baked Beans was one, Snow's Clam Chowder was another. In recent years, sadly, both brands have been bought out, and the recipes have been changed -- for the worse. B&M Baked Beans used to include chunks of salt pork, which added both flavor and texture. A few years ago, I noticed that although the label still says pork and beans -- there wasn't any pork. I complained. The response I received was that they use salt pork flavor. But they still call it "original" on the can, even though it clearly isn't the original.

B&M Baked Beans has been struck from my list.

Snow's Clam Chowder used to be a fairly thick, New England style chowder with plenty of chunks of clam in it. No more. Now it's basically potato chowder with a few bits of minced clam. It's pretty sad when Campbell's has a better clam chowder than the company that was founded on making superb clam chowder.

And the latest candidate: Dinty Moore Chicken and Dumplings. Dinty Moore makes a decent canned beef stew. I happened to notice recently that they are have chicken and dumplings, so I bought a can to try. BIG mistake. It was so horrible I threw out half the can. Pasty dumplings, unappealing sauce/gravy, and virtually no chicken whatsoever. I went to their web site last night to submit a complaint, and I looked at the reviews. The reviews are overwhelmingly 4- and 5-star reviews. BUT -- looking a little deeper, I realized that all the 4- and 5-star reviews are four or more years old. All the 1- and 2-star reviews are recent, and they all seem to agree that (a) the recipe has changed; (b) the dumplings are awful; and (c) there's no chicken in the can.

It really leaves me wondering what sort of business school education would lead a senior executive to acquire a brand with a great product and a loyal following -- and change the recipe to ruing the product and alienate the now-formerly loyal following? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Set2Stun, Earp and edamame like this.
  17. Earp

Walmart destroyed a great brand when they bought Herman Survivor boots and they became cheap Chinese footwear made to a low price point. Same brand name, though.

18. Homer Potvin

Pork prices, bruh. And other pork restrictions. RI is actually suing Mass right now over their pork guidelines. Mass recently passes a ballot on humane pork only, which is fine, but tried to restrict the transportation of inhumane pork through their borders into RI. Federal judge slapped them with an injunction pending the review of the case.

19. Catriona Grace

I went looking for non-dairy creamer yesterday to accommodate a dairy allergy. Picked up a jar clearly labeled "Non-dairy" and turned it over to look at the ingredients. There at the bottom of the ingredient list was a notice that the product contained milk.

Last time I checked, milk was a dairy product.

The hell...

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  20. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

parking ticket, dammit!

A parking bay that I have been using for fifteen years which was "residents permits or two hours free/no return within four hours" has been changed to "residents permits only". After the first decade or so you stop checking the signs and just park where you always have done. Damn and buggrit. I was even thinking as I crossed the bridge into town what a useful facility that was, and how much money it must have saved me over the years by having a short and pleasant walk instead of parking in the town-centre...

I suppose the cash-strapped councils have to raise money somehow. Pensions don't just pay themselves...

21. Homer Potvin

I average 1.3 a week. At $30 each, I'm saving thousands annually versus paying for parking 10 - 12 times a day.

22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

the public service pension has been a myth for a while… we don’t get any better than the private sector , and pay is nothing to write home about either.

In most councils car parks pretty much washed it’s own face and maybe covers the long term maintenance

23. Catriona Grace

You're kidding... aren't you?

24. Homer Potvin

No free parking anywhere in the city. And between all my stores, I probably park at least ten times a day. If I paid the $2.50 each time, that would be $25 a day, $150 a week, $7500 a year. So a $30 ticket once or twice a week is a bargain. The trick is to keep an old ticket handy and stick in the windshield. Doesn't always work, but it keeps em on their toes! Also, not parking in a no parking zone. That's a $60 ticket.

Set2Stun likes this.
  25. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    My stepsister lived in the city, called them "the $25 spots."

Homer Potvin likes this.