The Not Happy Thread - Continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

This time last year, I bade farewell to 2020 and welcomed 2021, the year that wouldn't have to try too hard. But fuck me it could have made some kind of effort. Here's to 2022 and some lift in standards.

Catriona Grace, Set2Stun and AntPoems like this.
  2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I fractured my ankle yesterday so this year is not off to a great start. Come on 2022, surprise me.

OurJud, Xoic and B.E. Nugent like this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I just got a new jkeybpoard (leaving this as a perfect example!) not two months ago, and already the paint is coming off the most-used keys. Not only that, but the keys get mechanically stuck sometimes, especially the A, E and O, and sometimes I hit one and the one next to it goes down with it, so my A's have S's next to them that I have to go through and edit out, or my O's have I's next to them. Cheap keybopards just aren't worth it! And you have to be careful, just paying more doesn't mean it's going to work any better.

At first I was wondering what the hell was wrong with me, why I was making to many typos all of a sudden, but now I realize it isn't (entirely) me, it's this damn keyboard! &^$^$#%^)()))!!!!##:wtf: :bigmad:

4. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

We’re starting out 2022 on familiar note; the heat is out at the store. 47° when I got in this morning. (8c)

5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

The fires that took out most of Superior and much of Louisville, CO ended 2021. 2022 started with local LE, including my daughter, looking in the rubble for bodies in sub-freezing temperatures. We've decided to start the new year Old Style on March 25.

6. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Went to put on my snow boots this morning and stuck my foot into a mess of poptart crumbs....
    I wore my boots on Saturday.
    The mice are back :nosleep:

(Also... We dont even own pop tarts!!)

Seven Crowns likes this.
  7. Catriona Grace

How remiss of you. No wonder the mice had to bring their own.

Naomasa298, Seven Crowns and AntPoems like this.
  8. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Reorganization at work means I no longer report to my old boss, an asshole who at least would talk to me, and now report to the new boss, who I'm pretty sure doesn't know I exist. Like can't even be bothered to approve a leave slip for sick leave that I took last week. Perish any thought of knowing anything about what I actually do here.

I can't believe I'm saying this, because the old boss was really an asshole, but...not sure the new situation is an improvement.

9. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Cable and internet at my house went out this afternoon. I have spent roughly five hours on the phone today with our provider. I wouldn’t wAnT To cast aspersions, by namedropping. The first service rep had me go through a troubleshoot checklist before transferring me to rep #2. Rep #2 had me go through the same checklist before sending me to tech support. Tech support had me go through the checklist again before running some remote trickery, and then sending me to someone else. That someone else wanted me to go through the check list again.

Earp and Xoic like this.
  10. Xoic

I got put through that same ringer. I'm now a satisfied customer of Charter.

11. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Contributor Contributor

Not happy about how people want to twist my own writing and style into THEIR writing and style. That's not feedback, that's being stuck in your own view of what's "right" without realizing more types of stories and writing exist outside of your personal taste in fiction. It's the entire reason I am considering not using this site anymore and never share the writing I do just for fun to complete strangers. Only share with friends whom I trust.

In other news, not happy about work constantly stressing me out, purely because working from home daily for almost 2 years has lowered my tolerance for...well, anything. My work load isn't crazy, but if one item has a ton of issues, I'm fed up for the rest of the day. In reality, none of this should be enough to piss me off, but...here we are. The pandemic has made all sides of my job, all the folks we work with, chaotic.

Also not happy with my gastrointestinal problems (which are entirely unrelated to stress elsewhere in life), and hope the expensive antibiotics coming my way will help and not give me unpleasant side effects.

12. Cress Albane

Cress Albane Active Member

Maybe I'm naive, but I like to think about the criticism I receive as opinions. Some point out objective mistakes, some just say "I would prefer if the story went that way". But I'm not forced to treat all of them as things I absolutely must fix in my writing - It's my choice whether the things the critics mention bother me as well. Maybe such an approach could help you as well?

Naomasa298, Xoic and B.E. Nugent like this.
  13. Xoic

Yes, generally criticisms are taken as suggestions. You just thank the people for taking the time and effort to try to help you, and you don't need to let anyone know whether you plan to accept it or not. That part of course is entirely up to you.

14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

this is a continuation of an argument from the first three sentences thread which Blitzgirl has been told twice to leave alone... i'm not deleting it because its been replied to in good faith but this argument is now over... nothing to see here, move along please.

15. J.T. Woody

....caught the mouse

ETA: and also figured out where the poptart came from

16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Wait, the mouse brought the pop tarts?

J.T. Woody likes this.
  17. J.T. Woody

Apparently my ferret found them in my husbands luchbox.

The mouse just hid the crumbs in its nest in my boot.

Hubby tried to blame it all on my ferret, but i know my ferret. He doesnt hide food, he hides socks

18. big soft moose

I can't help feeling that a ferret is an obvious solution to the mouse problem :D

19. J.T. Woody

:superlaugh:
    He's old, deaf, and possibly blind in one eye.
    He's also never been the sharpest tool in the shed :p

20. Xoic

Perfect time for a new ferret.

21. big soft moose

My dog likes to chase mice... he can't catch them and generally winds up running head first into the wall when they go down a hole - the one time he did corner one he had no idea what to do next and stood their looking at it til i scooped it up in a pint glass

22. J.T. Woody

I think my dogs think mice are just tinier ferrets because they didnt do anything about the mice.
    They know i get mad when they bully my ferret, so i guess they think all small indoor critters are no-noes too.
    But let them see a rabbit in the backyard, and they will body slam the widow to get out there at it

23. Catriona Grace

I am not a fan of mice. We have four cats inside. We have three wandering garter snakes outside in the summer. This fall, several mice attempted to move into the greenhouse where they were discovered by the dogs. Mr. Catriona set traps and put an end to that venture in mouse housing.

24. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Not sure I should have ‘liked’ this post. How did you do it?

25. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I decided to sign up for a month of PlayStation Plus yesterday (I never bother with online gaming, but there’s this one game I love that can’t be played offline). Anyway, the one month option costs £6.99, but PlayStation being the devious bastards they are, automatically change your payment method to “Automatically renew subscription when the current one ends”, meaning you have to go into your account settings and uncheck the box.... except when it came to that I couldn’t remember my password. I requested a reset using ‘Forgotten password’ about four times and the link never arrived (it’s not in spam either).

So I began trying to guess the password using all my familiar ones, and it finally locked me out because of too many failed attempts.

Playstation support won’t reply to my request for help, so I’m stuck with a £6.99 per month subscription, for a service I can’t even use.

Set2Stun likes this.