The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

So much unpublished stuff at the moment is in frickin' present tense. I have the time and will to offer loads of critique and finding something I can stand reading for more than five seconds (i.e. finding something in past tense) is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Please god let this awful trend end soon.

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Really? I can send my third-person-past-tense WIP to you. :-D

Tenderiser likes this.
  3. Tenderiser

DO IT!

KaTrian likes this.
  4. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

I had to bury a kitten today...:bigfrown: It was really no one's fault, but it was ran over in my driveway. This was one of two stray kittens someone had dumped off (common around here, there's a poorly run state shelter nearby that doesn't take drop offs...go figure). Tiny kittens too, almost too young to be separated from their mother. I really, really despise the people out here where I live, I loathe them to no end, but whoever dropped these kittens off deserve a fate far worse than death IMO. Rural, bum-fuck egypt, redneck hicks from some ditch they call a holler, all of them are mentally deficient, I swear. They treat people like animals, so just imagine how they treat actual animals... I can not come up with enough derogatory terms for these people, I'd run out of words. Oh, but "we's all good Christian folk 'round here." :wtf:

Sorry, had to rant a bit, I'm just really not happy, thus my presence in this thread. My neighbors and I had been trying to feed the kittens, yesterday when they showed up, so didn't have the time to find them a home (I can't take another cat in, have two already and that's one more than allowed in this place we're renting, already took in one stray this past winter). The kitten in question was taking shelter in the wheelwell of my fiance's car. As you can imagine, she's devastated. We kinda' knew they were going in and out of there, but tried to make sure they were out first. One was still in there though, and must have been pretty far up inside at that, the way her car is designed it was easy for it to stay hidden. Like I said, no one's fault...except maybe the trailer trash that dropped them off in the first place.

I've never written in present tense, and never will. My current WIP is past tense and will stay that way. lol

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I don't want to like to say that I think you'd be a lousy parent, because you might be great, but I feel the same way. My parents ticked all the right boxes and I'm still a functional fucking mess, would not want to inflict that on anyone.

Oscar Leigh and Dr.Meow like this.
  6. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Came in to work expecting to be at my favorite station. And I was scheduled for that. Then I got stuck in a crappier place bc they "can't justify the overtime" for the person who volunteered to work there. THEN another coworker bitched and whined at the supervisors and got switched with me so now I'm stuck at my LEAST favorite station for the day. Because working the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend wasn't shitty enough.

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

So I'm following a page labeled 'historical photos' on Facebook. It's self-explanatory. Well, a recent photo was posted in that page made me lose my faith in humanity:

#1- A grainy, black-and-white photo of a young Japanese girl blinded by the nuke dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. Her eyes were burnt out, milky white and scarred, and there's another scar running along her chin. Yes, that means the last thing she saw with her own eyes was a nuke going off before she went blind.

#2- A bunch of disgusting assholes saying this innocent little girl deserved that because of what her country did, saying, "Well, her country shouldn't have picked a fight with the USA!" and all that shit.

<sighs>

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Link the Writer

I am sorry bud, but I feel ya. I have seen Israelis artillery bombardment of a
    beach killing kids in the Gaza Strip.

I think my MC Graxis put it best:

No one wins in a war, he told me. Not the victorious army, not the surviving enemy, and not the civilians caught in the crossfire. The only wars ever truly won, are those that never happen.

Oscar Leigh and Link the Writer like this.
  9. Link the Writer

I think it's only when we see what war does to people that we truly understand its folly. It's not as heroic and epic as the stories make it out to be. Real people suffer, most of the time innocent people like that little girl. Even if she did miraculously survive not dying of radiation, she still gets to spend the rest of her life/has spent the rest of her life blind with the knowledge that the last thing she ever saw was that nuke.

I guess that's what gets me the most. We're used to seeing soldiers mangled and dead. Going to war is their job, they went in knowing they might not make it back out alive; or at least in one piece. Civilians, however? Unarmed men, women, and children whose only sin is being caught in the crossfire? That's the real damage war brings. That's the real hell.

And then you have disgusting assholes saying she deserved it just because she was Japanese and at the wrong place at the wrong time. Yeah, because it's totally OK to deform children of nations you're at war with. >:[ I'm sure they wouldn't be saying that if the roles were reversed and this was an American child blinded by, say, an Afghan missile or whatever.

Though I'll never know what happened to that girl, I can only hope she found people who could take care of her and she grew up to reach her senior years to relax in a comfortable recliner in a retirement home with her lover and some tea.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Link the Writer I know what you are saying little bud.

I have never been or have gotten use to seeing men and women mangled
    in the jaws of war, regardless of service or civilian.

But in most cases, we don't take killing each-other as something lightly.
    Let alone when there is someone in need. I am sure they took care of the
    girl as best they could. For the most part people are good, and usually more
    so in times of crisis.

So chin up, young man (stop punching me in the feels damn it). :p
    For all the cruelty in this world there is more goodness than you can imagine.

Just because we can create ruthless killers and turn them to heroes in our writing.
    doesn't make them heroes when we show their struggles and coping with what
    they have done. Same applies to reality. Granted in reality all heroes are both feet
    in the grave. War ultimately separates the true men from the blood thirsty maniacs.
    A lesson we have yet to learn as a species.

So remember humans are good at heart and will do thier best even in the worst of times.

(Grrr, you got me crying you little brat.) Love you little buddy. :)

Link the Writer likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just spent half an hour in the teacher's lounge grading papers while trying to ignore one of our resident lunatics explaining how Muslims were being introduced "with military precision" into Western countries, and then encouraged to set up Sharia Law Zones.

Who's behind this dastardly plan?

Sigh, the same people who are behind all the dastardly plans. Yup, The Jooz want to destroy Western civilization by Islamicizing it.

Just mind-boggling.

Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  12. Tenderiser

Explain that the Jooz are puppets of the Illuminati.

You can't argue with stupid so you might as well have fun with it.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm sure he's way ahead of me there.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Tenderiser

Another novel with a great premise ruined by clumsy use of fucking present tense.

STAB STAB STAB

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Aren't Jews essentially Western in culture? Especially the ones who live in the west.

16. Link the Writer

Oh God, reminds me of the people I work with. As far as they're concerned, Obama is a Muslim who destroyed this country, his wife is a gorilla (their words, not mine) and liberals are whiny babies.

Is it any surprise I've lost any ounce of sympathy and compassion for Trump supporters?

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

When you hear about friendly-fire incidents, your faith in "military precision" gets questioned.

Oscar Leigh and Link the Writer like this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Not to that sort of nutjob. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure he's up against mandatory retirement this year, so he can remove himself to Thailand and...

I don't want to think about it.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

yeah but they are running the world government in secret and manipulating the financial markets to punish anyone who speaks the truth.... the holocaust was actually fabricated by the Jooz to manipulate the west into fighting each other (which rather disregards that we didnt know about the holocaust until after the war, but don't bother with such trivial stuff as facts)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I dunno, the apache helicopters tend to hit the friendlies with great precision... they hardly miss anyone.

Shadowfax, Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Murphy's Laws of Combat #?: There's nothing more accurate than incoming friendly fire.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. big soft moose

A friend of mine who served in Afghanistan with 2 Mercian in 2003/4 told me , " we were always very happy to see Ugly (british apaches) over head as they really pissed down fire on the enemy, we were only happy to see Arrow (american apaches) if we were in hard cover as they tended to piss down fire on anything that moved."

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  23. Link the Writer

I'm in a weird mood today. My anxiety tells me I should be bummed out and cynical, but on the flip side, I'm not letting myself feel that way.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  24. TheDankTank

TheDankTank Member

I adore being called a Nazi for literally no reason at all. I was just walking down the hallway to my next class, and some snowflake just started screaming at me. I did not and have never done anything that puts me anywhere in the ballpark of a white supremacist. I'm not even particularly conservative, and this girl with her really short, neon green hair and BLM shirt (classic radical regressive leftist) just starts cursing me out. Wonderful. The best part is, at my school I can think of at least five people who are ACTUAL NEO-NAZIS, but no, I'm the real villain here, right guys?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  25. big soft moose

you should have given her a Heil Hitler salute then goose stepped off down the corridor...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.