The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am glad you are all set then, given circumstances.:supersmile:

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4650642/Doctors-refuse-let-Charlie-Gard-s-parents-home.html

So this popped up in my Facebook feed. Basically, Charlie has a rare illness and instead of letting his parents take him to America for treatment, GOSH (the hospital) stripped them of their parental rights, dragged them through a legal mess and now they're gonna make them watch Charlie die in the hospital.

<sighs>

Guess it just goes to show that evil exists everywhere. You don't have to be a stereotypical street thug, a crime boss, or an insane world leader to be evil.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You have to remember that the daily mail is to news journalism what fox is to Tv news. They are also very right wing and have a vested interest in making the NHS look bad (since the tory's want to privatise it). Great Ormond Street are usually really good, and i suspect the side of the story we aren't being told in that article is that he can't be taken home (or moved from where he is) without suffering more.

Also they didnt drag the parents through a legal mess - the parents created the legal mess by refusing to accept successive judgements that the condition was hopeless, all the way up to the European court

There's a more balanced article here https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/jun/27/charlie-gard-european-court-rejects-plea-to-intervene-in-life-support-fight

the key paragraph of which is

"“The domestic courts had concluded, on the basis of extensive, high-quality expert evidence, that it was most likely Charlie was being exposed to continued pain, suffering and distress and that undergoing experimental treatment with no prospects of success would offer no benefit, and continue to cause him significant harm."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    matwoolf, Oscar Leigh and SethLoki like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    My two loudest colleagues are having a discussion with each other at the next table. They can probably be heard in the next building....

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

So that's what was keeping the dog awake....

6. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Diabetic Retinopathy, the treatment for which is a hypodermic needle stuck in each eyeball once a month. Damn.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Oh man, that's awful on so many levels.

S A Lee and Oscar Leigh like this.
  8. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    8pm, still almost 90 degrees F (32 C) out....

9. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Now do I move so I can get a job or get a job and then move??
    All I know is there's no jobs around here. and my current place is a joke only employing me for three fucking hours a week. I'm under 21 so guess fucking what? I only earn like £15 a week. I CAN'T DO THIS.

So if you know of anywhere in the ruddy UK that will employ someone with a qualifcation in animal management, please let me know. It seems to be a bit of pointless qualification right now as anyone can get a job in a pet shop and any jobs above that want veterinary nursing qualifications and so forth.

I am at my wits end right now.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

As far as "he can't be taken home without suffering more" he actually can't be taken home without dying before he leaves the ward.

Also, while the US has developed a treatment for his disorder, when the US doctors got something of a case history their reaction was "Not with a bargepole - we never realised he was THAT sick."

So it's good to see the Phil-Anne Thropist Trump has decided, based on zippo medical training, that he's quite happy for the US economy to benefit from the £1.3 million that's been raised to treat Charlie even though he can offer no reasonable prospect of a successful outcome.

11. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

https://www.indeed.co.uk/viewjob?jk=6d64f338c8eb1812&q=Poultry+Manager&tk=1bjpghq1c2svm8dh&from=ja&alid=593bd4cee4b05e83c28da4d1&utm_source=jobseeker_emails&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=job_alerts&rgtk=1bjpghq1c2svm8dh

there you go...

12. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

@matwoolf
    why good sir.... how? I've been on that website at least five times today!

matwoolf and GingerCoffee like this.
  13. big soft moose

Farm supply companies like mole avon, mole valley , countrywide etc, animal shelters, rspca etc... farm jobs (maybe although you'd need tractor driving and probably milking)

Alsorts of jobs just require a degree regardess of what it is

I'd suggest applying for the job first then moving when you get it,

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    When you ask a nebulous question, and it turns into
    your writing is a shit show. And the question was not
    even about me. Where does the logic come into play?

Still holding the worst writer title, thanks. :)

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  15. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

"Hi Tenderiser, I tried to call you to discuss your email. Please call me back."

NO. FUCKING EMAIL ME. I HATE YOU PHONE WANKERS.

Oscar Leigh and Iain Aschendale like this.
  16. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

YES! Absolutely!

Especially when the other person is someone who should be trying to please me! Salespeople and people looking for jobs and whatever... if I start the conversation with e-mail, that's because I WANT TO E-MAIL, NOT TALK!!! E-MAIL!!!!!!!

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    So last week my immediate supervisor confided in me that he had some concerns about one of my colleague's teaching methods. A minor breach of protocol, but we're hierarchically pretty flat, and the professor in question and I share a group of students (the students are divided by levels, so the same twenty-odd people will have multiple required classes together, with a different professor teaching each subject).

Then I noticed, in some of the work the students did for my class, a deficiency related to what the other professor should have been teaching them, so I told my supervisor about it. I don't like to narc, but the course requirements from on high aren't always clear, and I figured if my boss had already relayed his concerns to me, he should probably know. All three of us are friends socially, and generally there isn't too much "bossing" to be done by the boss.

Except when there is. The boss told me that I should bring the deficiency to my colleague's attention. That, as his co-teacher, it was my responsibility to correct him. Now, I'm slightly junior to the person in question, and I'm not his supervisor, in any way, shape, or form. Y'know why I'm not his supervisor? Because a couple years ago, when the bigger boss (two steps up the chain from me) suggested giving me a promotion to an assistant supervisor position, my immediate supervisor shot it down.

The same guy who now wants me to exercise the authority he stopped me from having.

This is more a scream of frustration into a pillow than anything else, but I'm pretty sure that any reports I have for anyone upchain in the future are going to consist of "Everything's peachy, everybody's fine, and if anyone says otherwise, I must have been in the toilet when it happened because I saw shit."

But it's still my job to correct my colleague.

BayView likes this.
  18. Tenderiser

ALWAYS email. I don't care if you need a decision within 30 seconds or a child will die. Still email. Always.

19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I like email because it provides a record of what was said. Not that I don't trust you, or you shouldn't trust me, I just don't want to have to take notes while I'm on the phone, I'd rather go back and re-read to see what I missed.

Tenderiser likes this.
  20. Tenderiser

Outwardly, that's the excuse I give. I mean, whatever this woman tells me on the phone I'm going to have to write down as we speak, so wtf?

But the real reason is I have a crippling fear of talking on the phone. No idea why - apparently it's pretty common, if not usually as severe as I have it.

Also, your supervisor sounds like a twat.

21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I worked on the police/fire/ambulance emergency line (9-1-1) for about four years, and then customer service for a stock brokerage for about six months. I can do phones good, I just don't like doing them.

22. BayView

I just find phone calls totally inconvenient. Like, it's a good time for Person A to talk, so Person A makes a call. But what if Person B is in the middle of something, or just doesn't feel like dealing with that issue right then? With e-mail, Person A sends when convenient, Person B responds when convenient--everybody's happy.

Moral of the story? E-mail=excellent, phone=crappy.

minstrel likes this.
  23. Shadowfax

Can you not pass this further up the chain to your bigger boss?

The one who WOULD give you the authority.

Incidentally, how come littler boss could overrule bigger boss over the promotion in the first place?

24. Shadowfax

Three weeks ago I sent an eMail.

Yesterday, I re-sent it with a reminder that it was three weeks ago, about a deficiency that began three years ago.

I'm going to have to make a phone call to make the point that the next time the recipient of my eMail calls me to ask for money, I'm going to say "No".

25. BayView

Yup, phone call as punishment - that sounds right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.