The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

My Internet connection has been dead since Thanksgiving more often than not. The good news is I'm getting my own router, but my service won't start until December 11th.

I'm using my phone for the Internet at present. Whoever decided these tiny screens were appropriate for that needs to be shot repeatedly in several significant, non-vital organs.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I feel ya. Midway through till the end of December, my bandwidth slows way down due
    to all the people getting online during the holidays. Moves at dial-up speeds.

3. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

I'm the same. I didn't drink yesterday (too hungover), and I don't 'need' a drink now, like alcoholics would do, but when I have a beer, I have more and more until I'm hammered. My wife is the opposite, she can have a few drinks, then be like 'I've had enough now, i'm not going to get smashed and be ill tomorrow', and she can stop, I can't. I've decided a bit, or maybe a permanent t-total thing is in order. Alcohol also took my mother, another reason to stay dry!

4. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

No internet = more writing, am I right?
    ;)

Though no internet sucks. And some site really doesn't work well on the phone!

John-Wayne likes this.
  5. Mrs.Smith

Mrs.Smith Member

Damn it. Our temporary roommate's dog pulled my laptop off my desk yesterday morning doing significant damage and I spent half the day moving files that for some reason hadn't synced to cloud and trying to re-link everything in my design document. I'm on deadline to upload to the printer and didn't need this delay. As a result, I have no time to work on my MS this morning even though I had a brilliant idea in those fuzzy moments between sleeping and waking! So I had to settle for jotting a few quick notes in my notebook and get to work making deadline. Grrr.
    And just got a text message from person who was doing a feature article that she'd have to send it in next month because it wasn't done yet. So now I have four pages to fill at the last freakin' minute.
    If I had a clone, or if I had four hands, or if I could afford to hire help, of if I didn't need at least a few hours of sleep, life would be so much easier.
    I love my job. I love my job. I love my job ...

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It's busy in Puerto Rico at the minute ... more info is required if you want it retasked

7. Blouse

Blouse Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  8. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I was very nearly run over by a bicyclist going down a hill tonight. He was moving fast enough it would've caused me significant injuries. I tweaked my back avoiding him, so now I can't sit up straight.

9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Comforting to know other people do this as well. :D

Homer Potvin likes this.
  10. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I almost would have needed to write in this thread because I locked myself out of my house this morning, absentminded and on not enough sleep (and I thought I'd have to pay about 150 £ for a locksmith to let me in again)... but then there was a nice neighbour with a golf club :D

Fernando.C and Iain Aschendale like this.
  11. KaTrian

I'm inclined to use the 'wat' meme I posted in another thread again here. Did he help you break into your own home with a golf club? :D

T and I once locked ourselves out as well. Lucky it was in the summer and our bedroom window was slightly ajar. The only downside was we lived on the 2nd floor back then, so I had to climb there, which didn't look suspicious at all, I'm sure. :D

Lifeline likes this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    When I was in the military, I once broke into my commander's office. On his orders, since he'd left his key in his other trousers.

13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I was tempted to ask if 'golf club ' was a metaphor ... but I assume he threaded his arm through the letter box holding it and used it to trip the yale lock - unwrapped wire coat hangers also work in this regard (all of which is a good reason not to rely on a yale alone for home security)

the other point of note is if you have glass in your front door its often cheaper to break a pane and reach through, then get a glazier out, than it is to get a locksmith

Lifeline likes this.
  14. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Doesn't anyone hide a key outside anymore?

Lifeline likes this.
  15. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Why, looking to break in. ;)

16. KaTrian

We had a key hidden on our porch, but our mother-in-law had borrowed it to get something from our apartment and forgot to return it.

Now we live in a high rise, so we can't really hide it anywhere outside. Then again, half the family has a spare key now, so at least we can fetch it from someone should we forget it again (this time can't climb to the bedroom window anyway!).

17. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I don't. I just leave a door unlocked - but you have to get through my giant dogs to get to it so I've never had any concerns.

BayView, izzybot and Lifeline like this.
  18. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Missed lunch. It was my favourite and everything. :(

19. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I use those electronic combination locks. You type in a code and it lets you in. You can also lock and unlock it from a phone app.

It needs batteries, but it does have a regular key manual backup in case the batteries die.

20. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

My sister has one of those, but it's so easy to see which numbers are typed in all the time and that keeps me from getting one. It's not like I have anything worth stealing anyway though.

21. Lifeline

Not something practicable, as I keep my windows closed at all times when I'm not at home...

Almost right! He used the cat-flap :D and yes, it's given me a new awareness of the security dangers of cat flaps!!

Why is it that this thread is giving me now ideas when it's too late and I'm in again?? Things to remember for sure!

Would that I could, but I only have the one. And yes, that's pretty annoying, but not something that I can remedy.

I'm too paranoid for that. If I ever have a home for myself, I'll stick to old-fashioned security locks (up, middle and down with a big bar).

22. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

You are correct to do that. Every phone unlockable door lock I've heard of has pretty major security questions. They work basically by assuming that no-one will bother to try and hack your house specifically. And maybe if we were talking about something less valuable that might be ok, but when it's literally the whole contents of your house and some random kid with a laptop can walk in whenever he wants; that's not so great.

Traditional locks aren't like super secure (although can be made more so if you buy good ones) but they at least rely on opportunistic thieves not having the right tools on their person at all times, which is a fair bet. Most of the time a decent lock is enough to make people break the window to get in, and that's about as much as you can ask for it. But definitely don't trust anyone who says their bullshit internet of things application can secure your house!

Laurus and Lifeline like this.
  23. KaTrian

Do you live on the first floor? If you're feeling paranoid, finding an apartment on the second floor or up might be worth considering. I know I get kinda paranoid on the first floor... especially when it's a detached house...

Our current apartment has a safety chain, and if a burglar manages to pick the Abloy Sento lock, they've deserved what meager loot they might get. :rofl:

Lifeline likes this.
  24. Lifeline

I'm living in a house. Semi-detached. So yes, I'm paranoid about security and probably with good reasons :)

KaTrian likes this.
  25. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

To be fair; a window break in is certainly possible, but it's also really noisy and people pay attention to it.

The the goal of home security is just to make it look like your house is more trouble than it's worth. If someone cares enough to get in to break a window not a lot is going to stop them short of a face full of buckshot. But if your doors a locked, your windows are latched and there's no easy way in for them, well there's a good chance they just move on. Because seriously, who wants to go to jail (or get shot/savaged by dogs) for trying to steal that ugly fruit bowl you got for Christmas and can't throw away. If it will take time, effort, tools or noise to get in then they aren't going to bother just to steal your TV and your old laptop.

That's what really bugs me about the bluetooth/wireless locks. Because you can put all that effort in sitting in your house a few doors down. You can leave the numbers to crunch and wait for a night when you're out and then just walk in. And seriously, if someone walks up to the door and it opens for them, no-one is calling the cops.

To summarize; the goal isn't to be impenetrable; because at the end of the day houses are made of bricks and drywall and wood. If someone really wants into your house then can knock a hole in the damn wall. The goal is just to make it more trouble that it's worth for the opportunists.

Oh and Abloy make nice locks; you are a conscientious home owner :p

Lifeline likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.